I missed slow stitching and remembered Kat's stitching project with a grid of squares. Katherine of K3nCloth Tales did a similar project incorporating small scraps of cloth. This will not be a daily stitching practice but perhaps become a pouch for hand sewing notions. I marked separate grids on a piece of muslin. Then I basted flannel to the back of muslin, and couched fingering weight yarn to mark one of three grids. In my previous quilting life, I threw out tiny scraps. Last year I saved small bits while working on the Stitch Journal. The challenge in this project is to choose small pieces at random and then stitch around them. The blue piece reminded me of the Dresden Plate quilt block so I stitched it into the corner and added the embroidery on either side. I pinned the other two pieces on to audition them. So much for completely random. I am what I am. This is a "for fun" project so any rules are just guidelines.
Earlier this morning I did something I rarely do. I sat down with a cup of tea and savored the last few pages of Whistler by Ann Patchett. Publicity and information about this novel is everywhere, as it should be. It's a tender sweet story about human connection, impermanence, and kindness in the face of imperfection. The writing is lovely. Every word is well chosen and well placed. I enjoyed all of it; setting, character development, plot, themes, subtle connection to the writing and publishing world, and Patchett's ability to wander around in time with clarity. It's a welcome respite from our troubled world and a novel worth rereading.
My July garden beds are wild and leggy. Earlier in the summer, I found what I thought was a weed growing in my pollinator garden. I left it after a plant app identified it as wild bergamot, also known as bee balm. Now it blooms and feeds the bees and butterflies. It is also part of the mint family so will need to be kept in check. I'm off to make a grocery list and hope the prices haven't gone up - again. I wish you at least one pleasant surprise this week.


Your slow stitch project looks wonderful. And fresh tomato sandwiches sound delicious
ReplyDeleteWhat a creative way to actually use those small bits of fabric! It looks like fun to play with them. I just ate the first tomatoes from my garden and they were delicious. I've got more slowly ripening, so perhaps this weekend I'll be able to have a tomato sandwich. I also have some volunteer plants in my garden -- two patches of goldenrod. I thought they were weeds, but once I identified them and learned that pollinators like them, I left them be.
ReplyDeleteYour shawl is looking beautiful... but those long rows can be so long! My bee balm is almost done blooming this year... the bees have so enjoyed it! And there is something so perfect about a small square of fabric and a bit of thread! Magic happens! You have my mouth watering for some fresh tomatoes!
ReplyDeleteI went into the bookstore the other day to buy The House in the Cerulean Sea and came out with Whistler and the newest Elizabeth Strout as well. I think I am well set for August Reading.
ReplyDeleteYour little patchy project is so cute. The red gingham really pops!
Your shawl is really beautiful and I'm glad it doesn't have to sit on your lap when you work on it. It will keep you nice and warm in just a few months. I also love your stitching project. I haven't sewed much but I do have some scraps left over from curtains and cat toys. I should take a look at them. Ripe tomatoes are so difficult to wait for. We've got a few cherry tomatoes and cucumbers, enough zucchini and green beans for the whole neighborhood. I was thrilled to spend less than $100 yesterday at the grocery store, but it doesn't seem like I got much.
ReplyDeleteSlow stitching is my favorite stitching. Machines make me edgy and rushed but give me a needle and thread and a good podcast or audio book and I will sit there all day.
ReplyDeleteYour shawl looks wonderful ! I love the way you described Whistler, I’m trying to pace myself so I can enjoy it a little bit
ReplyDeletelonger instead of ripping through it.
I'm happy to hear you enjoyed Whistler! I loved it, too. So much, in fact, that I read it twice in a row. ;-) (I wasn't quite ready to let it go . . . ) Your garden looks so inviting, Jane. I'm sure the bees and butterflies are loving your blooms. Although the bergamot is in the mint family - and it certainly spreads - I find it is not as much a problem when it runs wild in the garden. It doesn't seem to have that thuggish-staying-power of other plants in the mint "line." I hope your cooler weather sticks around for awhile! (We had a squirrel eat all the tomatoes on our container patio plant!!!) (There weren't many . . . so there is that.)
ReplyDeleteJane: your blog is lovely as always. Your shawl will be so beautiful when blocked. Thanks for sharing the basil bomb recipe with me....I have a lot growing and will definitely trying. Have a good week.
ReplyDeleteOh Jane! Your shawl is gorgeous (and calming to me) and your slow stitching...LOVE! I finally started knitting again the other day...guessing I just needed a break and that happens sometimes. I've picked yellow pole beans and a few cherry tomatoes and one cucumber. I'm hoping for more large tomatoes, but so far they are just hanging on and being green. I may resort to fried green tomatoes!! I enjoyed Whistler and I absolutely loved Land by Maggie O'Farrell (a tough read, but so good!).
ReplyDeleteHi Jane. It's always good to check in and see what you are up to. I haven't read Whistler, but probably need to put it on my "to read" list. The description of your salad truly made my mouth water. I love salads! I hope you are having a good week. See you again soon!
ReplyDeleteyum to the pasta salad!! My sister has been sharing her grown cucumbers with me, I am so grateful. I saw Whistler and it will be on the to read list.
ReplyDelete