Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Ready for Spring


Welcome March, the month of windy mercurial weather, winter one day and spring the next. Today looks more like winter with the latest skiff of snow on the ground. The color block sweater is finished. I will enjoy wearing the sweater into the early Spring. Except for the cuffs, I used yarn leftover from two projects so my stash is a tad bit lighter. You know you are a knitter when you order yarn for a project that was supposed to be knit from leftover yarn.


After we photographed the sweater, I looked down at my feet. You know you are a knitter when you wear out one of a pair of hand knit socks but save the other to wear with another sock missing its mate. The lavender sock has been in my drawer since last winter waiting for a mismatched mate.


While the sweater dried, I knit on this shawl from another skein of yarn buried in the stash. It feels good to knit with yarn and patterns on hand. I picked the color to remind me of the spring flowers that will soon push up from the ground.


I am listening to Personal History by Katherine Graham. Graham became the publisher of The Washington Post after her husband's death. She experiences many privileges from being born to a wealthy parents. However she also experienced some anti-Semitism due to her Jewish heritage through her father. My Dad was a Circulation Manager of a newspaper and my brothers continue to work in the field so I am interested in the autobiography from the standpoint of newspaper history as well as the education and professional life of this strong woman. 

I am reading The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend, a light hearted, feel good literary romp set in a small town in Iowa. It is good company for recovery from cataract surgery late last week. This is my second eye to be repaired and the procedure went well. I plan to have new glasses in time for Spring travel. 

Joining Kat and the Unravelers. What are you knitting and reading this week?


6 comments:

  1. Oh, I love how the sweater turned out! It looks awesome on you as well! And, I am with you - I am itching to do some shawl knitting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sweater turned out beautiful. I'm with you and the socks.! We work so hard to make them it is hard to part with them. I like your shawl and hope to be casting on a new shawl TOMORROW so I'll check out the pattern . Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your salmon shawl is lookin' good. I smiled at seeing two different socks. My kids do that all the time but only because they're too lazy to find its mate in the load.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sweater is perfect! It looks great on you -- AND it looks "wearable" (as in you'll be able to wear it a lot). I do the same thing with my worn out socks, and actually barely notice when my socks don't match each other anymore! I love the color of your new shawl. Perfect for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. look at your shawl!!! gah! love the color. Your sweater is beautiful and it whispers spring time to me. Funny I'm wishing and hoping for spring - desperately these days and it's too early to be thinking that way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sweater is great and looks like it'll be a nice addition for spring weather foibles...I'm so in need of socks...for some reason, I don't wear mis-matched...don't know why; makes perfectly good sense! Thanks for the idea. Duh!
    And the shawl! Lovely! Lovely!
    Cheers~

    ReplyDelete