Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Redux: Knitting and a Book


Last week I finished a second pair of About Town Mitts. The simple classic texture was fun to knit and doesn't take a full skein of yarn. I'll likely knit them again. The pair on the right was knit with sport weight. I modified the red and blue pair to knit them from worsted scraps. The blue yarn is Mountain Colors Goat, a yarn I have used to make mittens. The deep colors are a joy to work with in the fall and winter. I lost the label from the red yarn long ago but it also has some mohair content. The two yarns worked well together in this project. They are going in the gift/donation basket. Since finishing the mitts, I picked up my new glasses (hooray for sharp precise vision!) and cast on a baby sweater. Alas I have done some unraveling. Such is knitting life.

I bought this pale lavender baby yarn at an after Christmas sale. I cast on the Louise Cardigan but could not knit the yarn to gauge. I tried twice, with two different sized needles. The sweater body was too large. Sometimes I just knit a baby sweater with my preferred gauge but thought the proportions of this sweater would be wonky. I pulled the second set of 169 stitches off the needle, reclaimed the yarn, and cast on the Seamless Yoked (Baby) Sweater. I've knit this pattern previously. Wish me luck. 


We are traveling to New England next month so I thought I'd read something by women writers from the area. Earlier I read How I Discovered Poetry by Marilyn Nelson. Nelson was the Poet Laureate of Connecticut, 2001 - 2006. I am in search of poetry by a New Hampshire poet, Patricia Fargnoli. This week I am rereading The Country of the Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne Jewett. Jewett's work is a little idyllic but still describes the Maine countryside and inhabitants in the mid to late 1800s. When I reread a book, I'm not in a hurry to discover the ending. I read more slowly noticing new details (or in this case any details) and savoring words, sentences, and paragraphs. Jewett was a friend of Willa Cather's so that makes her writing interesting to me. Jewett, like Cather, writes about ordinary people and the places they live. The places are as integral to the story as the characters. I'm enjoying the old fashion-ness of the story.

Linking with Kat and the Unravelers. Jump on over for reading and knitting inspiration. 

Today the sun has come out and the temps are slowly inching upwards. I think I'll take a walk before it snows again on Friday. I'd rather pass on the winter redux. Ah - Spring. 

6 comments:

  1. I just love your mitts. We returned from Mexico to snowing skies last night. Spring, better come. It has to right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those mitts are just lovely! But, I am hoping and praying that things like that can be packed away sooner than later! Thank you for joining yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, love those mitts! And I especially like the way you used the red on that second pair. I usually keep my mitts around through mid-May at least. Sadly, I usually use them, too. I love Willa Cather! Perhaps I ought try Jewett as well. Thanks for the tip. XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay for traveling to the east and being with family. I love how you chose reading to go with where you are going. Whenever I travel I always buy a book and a skein of yarn :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. noooooo! not more snow!!!! You might need to put those mitts ON instead of sticking them in the gift basket!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the intro to Sarah Jewett...I was a big fan of Willa Cather decades ago...good to read that you're headed to my end of the country...I know you and your family are counting the days til you arrive! They'll fly by.
    Cheers~

    ReplyDelete