Saturday, January 2, 2021

A New Season

Happy New Year! Earlier, the frosty foggy morning was an apt metaphor for the coming months. The distance was a bit hazy with the outlines of trees barely visible. Now the gray sky gives way to cloudless blue. Life changes. Hope is on the horizon. 

As is my custom, I choose a word to think about during the year. I like a word with multiple perspectives and uses. This year's word is Season. Nature is a good teacher and the rhythm of the seasons is comforting to me. So I begin with Winter, one of the four seasons marked by the equinox or solstice. Winter World by Bernd Heinrich has been on my bookshelf for quite a long time. Now is a good time to dust it off and see what this winter season has to teach me. Heinrich, a scientist and naturalist, illustrates his nature writing so his books are a treat. 

I also plan to explore the labyrinth of seasons in my life, adding some zest along the way. These are ideas for another day. For now I'm settling into this season of winter.

Below is the sun setting on my neighborhood on December 31, 2020. God's speed to all the souls whose lives came to end this year. And God's speed to those of us who endured and look with hope to 2021. Here's to a new season. 



9 comments:

  1. Season is a wonderful word, one that will carry you through the year and provide lots of insight. I loved reading Winter World, Summer World was just as good, and so many of Heinrich's other books also sound very good. Happy New Year, Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen - 2020 was truly a year for the books - and not in a good way. I want to close that book for good but think that we may have to wait until January 20 to do that, if you catch my meaning. I love your word. It reminds me of that scripture, "to everything there is a time and a time to every season under heaven," which is so meaningful, especially during this season in our nation's and world's history. Happy New Year and many wishes for good things in 2021.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed reading about your word for 2021 and discovering your blog. Wishes for a very happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad I started reading your blog in the last year, Jane. Reading your posts always gives me a sense of calm. I think Season is a lovely word for you, particularly as you always seem so well tuned in to the weather and the outdoors. I hope 2021 is a better year for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this word Jane! And I am eager to see where you take it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. this word suits you perfectly! Happy new Year to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely tranquil photo despite (or perhaps because of) the snow. That's a rich word you've chosen there, sustainable for the whole year ahead. Thank-you for the link - I will go and have a look (especially as we have long winters here!). I'm currently reading 'Wintering', by Katherine May, though that's more of an emotional/psychological one. Sending warm good wishes for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely word, Jane. I'm eager to follow along and see where it takes you in this year ahead. XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful choice, Jane - I look forward to what you learn and share. and to a more hopeful year!

    ReplyDelete