Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Pickled

July and two hills of cucumber plants jump the edges of the raised bed. Since we returned and even before, light rain has fallen every morning. Weather patterns are interesting. The reservoir that supplies Lincoln's water is recharging and that is good news. I spent yesterday in the kitchen, slicing, dicing, brining, pickling, and canning. By six o'clock, I had ten pints of bread and butter pickles and a pile of kitchen laundry. Next week, I'll do it all again and then I'll be giving away cucumbers. They will be a hard sell. If my garden is producing, so is everyone else's. The tomatoes need some hot sun in order to ripen. And so it goes. 


I did a little too much car knitting so have been doing other things. My right shoulder, upper arm, wrist, and hand are sore. Still I enjoy the weekly posts with Kat and the Unravelers. I knit the thumbs and so finished the Kvetching Mitts. (No amount of adjusting in this photo made for better color.) Once I understood the pattern, I enjoyed knitting them but the worsted weight suggested in the pattern makes them heavy. I prefer fingerless mitts out of lighter weight yarn. Since I knit at a loose gauge, I'm pretty sure I could knit them with a DK weight. I plan to try the pattern again. 

This mitt project reminds me to think carefully about using scraps. Besides the weight, I am also not wild about the colors in the cuffs. Using partial skeins and scraps is satisfying but maybe not everything needs to go into a project. I mostly save all the scraps. When I am buy yarn for a sweater project, I often buy one extra skein to make sure I have enough. That leaves me leftover yarn. When I toss the stash, I think this is nice yarn. Lately I'm wondering if more of it could be moved on to a new home. Does this happen to you? If you keep leftovers, how do you decide what stays and what goes? Everyone decides differently but I am curious.  

The little swatch amongst the summer flowers is a test to insure the bright pink yarn is colorfast. Norah has requested a rainbow sweater with buttons. As soon as my shoulder and arm recover, I'll be casting on that project. 

While I wait for a library hold, I reread Willa Cather's Shadows on the Rock. This lesser known work of historical fiction begins in October 1697 in Quebec. The story follows a father, an apothecary, and his twelve year old daughter through a year. Although some cultural references are dated and perhaps inappropriate by today's standards, I find Cather's lyrical writing worth reading. She is a master at bringing time and place to the page. Although she doesn't gloss over the hardships faced by citizens iced in for the winter, she finds and writes of small kindnesses as well as the beauty in the place. This book was first published in 1931. 

Now the sky is blue, at least until the smoke wafts it's way down from the Canadian wildfires. I best go find room for ten pints of pickles on the basement shelves. I hope you are finding some delight in these summer days.   

12 comments:

  1. Oh yum for your pickles!! I do like the looks of your mitts, but I would have a hard time knitting with that weight of yarn. My scraps (mostly all from socks and Hitchhikers) are all in a basket (over-flowing). For awhile I was crocheting granny squares with the hope/plan to crochet them all together. I seem to have stopped doing that, but should pick up the habit again. A "new" Willa Cather book for me! I do love her writing. Thanks for that recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vera gave me a cucumber last week. It was delicious in salad last night and the second half will be my snack with hummus while I watch baseball tonight. There is nothing better than home grown!!!

    Almost ALL my scraps are either fingering weight wool blends or kitchen cotton. The wool goes into my scrappy blanket and the kitchen cotton makes some pretty wild dishcloths.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on a pickling session in the kitchen well done and another one next week! We just brought back a bunch of cucumbers from the garden at Ryan's but I'm taking them to my SiL since that's where we're headed tomorrow. No pickle-making here but I bet your house smells delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I lived near you, I would glad take any cucumbers you wanted to share. ;-) I think I will plant some cucumbers in my garden next spring. I love the mittens. I love the little vases of summer flowers. Glad that your summer is going well. Stay cool and enjoy the rest of the summer! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a cucumber harvest! most of our neighbors don't have even patio gardens, so giving away anything homegrown isn't a problem (of course we only have tomatoes at this point, and everyone seems to love them). Our prayer shawl ministry makes "prayer pockets" - 2x3" squares with a cross pattern - they are perfect for scraps (and don't need to be washable) - I'm happy to share the pattern if that would be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for pickles! We've only been able to pick two cucumbers and a handful of cherry tomatoes, so we're not overloaded yet. I am so impressed with how much you've gotten already! And I'm happy to hear that you're getting some steady rain - what a relief.

    My intention is to put all of my scrap yarn (mostly fingering weight wool) into a Memory blanket that I started several years ago. Here's a link to my Ravelry page: https://www.ravelry.com/projects/fasciknitting/the-coziest-memory

    I haven't worked on it at all in the last couple of years though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mitts do look very warm….love the top and bottom cables which I hadn’t noticed before. And they look long enough for you to tuck the pink edging into your coat sleeve so you won’t really notice it.

    I’m sure scraps or leftovers as I call them are like those old fashioned dry cleaners wire coat hangers and multiply in the dark. I sometimes think about passing mine on to friendly crocheters but then the frugal me thinks there has to be a way I could use them. Mine are usually 8ply/dk so in the past it’s been blanket squares or coloured baby jackets aka ‘Joseph’s’.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pickles do look wonderful, but oy... that is a lot of work! I am glad you are getting some rain, it helps when it is not a deluge like some places are getting!

    I save leftovers... not sure why, but I do. I began looking for a scrappy cowl to use some of them up in... I have found nothing I like and may just make up my own!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, yay for pickles!!! If I lived nearby, I'd gladly take some of your excess cucumbers. I'm so glad you're getting some rain. It's nice to hear some good weather-news these days . . . I keep my scraps, too. Sometimes I end up using them in knitting projects, but often . . . I use them to stuff the little toys I make from time time time. I always like seeing other knitters' "scrappy projects" . . . but never seem to muster the energy to start one of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those pickles look wonderful!

    I am also a saver of leftovers, though I don't often use them. But lately my daughter has been combining them into giant balls of yarn that she plans to crochet into blankets. And I have used some scraps in the past for charity hats.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The pickles are beautiful. We don't have anything in our garden yet...zucchini soon I hope. Your mitts are so cute and will be nice and comfy come winter. Ah the scrap yarn challenge. I always buy too much for a sweater "just in case" too. And it's so nice I hate to part with it. Sometimes it becomes a hat. I really need to destash. Haven't been buying as much yarn lately and trying to use up stash but it is not always what I need at the time. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. yummy pickles!! I have to watch how much I knit and not overdo it. It's so satisfying to knit but a little too much is a good thing. ha ha ha.

    ReplyDelete