Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Making Memories

As it is Wednesday, I am writing a blog post to link with Kat and the Unravelers. In the past days, I knit very little. Instead I made memories. Pops and Grammy Camp 2023 was a big success. When the entire family was here, the kids slept in the downstairs family room in sleeping bags. During the week Kate and her husband flew to California, camped in Yosemite, and hiked the Half Dome. And yes, they made it all the way to the top. I looked at the site after they hiked.  

Back in Nebraska, we had a ball with the kids. The weather cooperated with beautiful summer days. Playing every evening on a nearby school playground meant a good night's sleep for all. All four enjoyed miniature golf, although some games were more traditional than others. The two older boys and I spent three hours at Morrill Hall, the University of Nebraska State Museum, a museum with many hands-on activities. The four of us watched Major League Baseball. They both play and love the game so I learned a lot about baseball. Micah and I had a draft with his baseball cards. Not knowing many players by name, I chose an All Star team. He thought that was hilarious. Emmett and I solved the NYT's Wordle and Connections Games together. 


As I wrote previously, the other grandparents live in Omaha. On Wednesday we met midway to tour the Strategic Air Command and Aerospace Museum and had a picnic at nearby Mahoney State Park. Back in Lincoln, we took the younger two to a big city park. They like to bake so we made M and M cookies. After a round of miniature golf, we made buttered popcorn because "Grammy, popcorn has to be buttered." Jonah wants Pops to teach him how to play real golf. Norah and I shopped for nail polish and sparkling water. It was a week of high adventure with both sets of grandparents. 

Tucking the kids into bed at night and getting up with them in the morning was so sweet. They are probably the only kids in Connecticut who were excited about a Nebraska vacation. Together we made memories. It will be interesting to see what they remember in a few years. 

As for reading, I've read the same five pages of Mrs. Dalloway four nights in a row. Once I got in bed, I didn't have the energy to find and start a lighter read. I had a little time for knitting. Norah urged me to finish the rainbow sweater. I knit the yoke before she arrived in order to try it on her. It's coming along nicely. 

My son-in-law and a good friend are road tripping back home with the boys. Kate and Norah stayed two extra nights with us. After dropping them at the airport to fly home, I knit on this sock, noticing it matches the summer landscape. Summer is blasting us this week with 100 degree temperatures. It is miserable. Yesterday I blanched, cut up, and froze seven bags of tomatoes. The tomato patch looks like the end of the summer and I wonder if it will survive this week. Take good care, keep cool. Thanks for reading my family oriented post. 

11 comments:

  1. The memories you made are the best kind of making! I love this well-coordinated Nebraska vacation and that you did activities with each grandchild singly and together. Norah's sweater is coming along very nicely and I love your summer landscape socks, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ❤️ the camp T-shirts - clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like everyone had a wonderful time -- and slept very well! The t-shirts are such a sweet touch. I know your grandkids are going to treasure the memories they made with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a grand time you all had! Thanks for sharing your grandchildren with us. I love seeing all the smiling faces. Norah's rainbow sweater is just wonderful, Jane! I bet she's a little impatient ... waiting for her special Grammy-sweater. Such wonderful memories you've made -- for all of you. XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful time for you and the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delightful time, Jane! I am so glad the weather cooperated (but wish your heatwave is short lived!) Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great time for y'all! I hope Norah approves of the rainbow sweater? it's looking bright, fun, and just like a pink rainbow, right? Good luck settling back into your "regular" life. Glad you've got tomatoes, a book, and a sock waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. blessing abound in this post!! How fun was it to be with the family and then just the kids??? I am looking forward to this when my grand(s) get older.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely rainbow jumper. Yes making memories is the best thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a grand time for everyone! Love the camp tees - very clever and Norah's sweater is wonderful. I bet she is excited for it and cannot wait one more minute!!! You all musst have wonderful memories to cherish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What wonderful memories you, your hubby and the other grandfolks made for the kids this year. Sounds like such a fun couple of weeks. The rainbow sweater is just lovely! Can't wait to see her wearing it.

    ReplyDelete