Friday, March 15, 2024

TGIF 3.15.24

Hello Gentle Readers. Spring arrives early here. While walking, I notice the green leaf tips on ornamental pear trees and the red fringe on maple leaves. These daffodils survived onslaught from the squirrels and bloom bravely on this chilly morning. On Tuesday, we drove two hours west of Lincoln to see the spring migration of the sandhill cranes. Once again, we stood on the pedestrian bridge over the Platte River at sunset. It was a perfect evening for being outdoors, warm for March and no wind. 


This Friday, I am thinking about the miraculous migration of so many birds. The record numbers of cranes migrating is heartening. The smell of the river, the ancient music of the cranes, the setting sun over the river are all part of the familiar experience. We arrived about mid-afternoon and found a spot to watch them feed and dance in a field. The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission estimates the cranes consume 1600 tons of waste corn from nearby fields. Counts vary but well over 500,000 cranes spend time in the Platte River Valley. Conservation efforts to preserve the habitat and educate landowners as well as bird lovers are ongoing. This link will take you to a short video about the migration. This year, just after sundown, birds roosted on the sandbar visible in the distance. That doesn't always happen. Sometimes they roost in another location.

I am grateful for rain that fell Wednesday evening and Thursday morning. Our winter season has been dry. It's good to see damp earth, if only for a day or two. The rhythm of the seasons, this gradual unfolding of the Spring, even if early, is reassuring.

I am inspired by the gentle comradery of strangers standing on the bridge. From the elderly gentleman pushing his wife in a wheelchair, the persons who made a space for her to see through the railing, the families teaching young children about sandhill cranes and the river, to the gentleman offering to share his binoculars with a fellow observer, everyone was kind. Standing shoulder to shoulder, we engaged in quiet (so as not to frighten the birds) conversation about the evening, the river, the sunset, the cranes, other natural wonders, and home towns. I listened to voices of women from Minnesota eager for a glimpse of Spring, a couple from Colorado, and a fellow Lincolnite who comes every year.  A grandmother helped a little girl look at deer crossing the river. There were no raised voices or fraught accusations about red or blue states but instead a quiet wonder in this evening. Perfect strangers spent a few peaceful hours together. Here lies hope. 

As for fun, I gathered some supplies for a project that's been brewing in my mind. I plan to create  a version of a table runner I heard about a few years ago. Recently I ordered a back issue of Taproot Magazine to read more about the project. For me, patterns are only suggestions, so I'll likely adapt it as I go. 

I wish you a good last weekend of winter. 



12 comments:

  1. Jane, I love the information about the birds. My husband and I are going to watch the video later. The pictures are so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that brilliant sunset and the soft pale blue cloudy sky behind you. Skies definitely put their mark on the days don’t they.
    That was quite an evening you spent in the company of others. Obviously a yearly event you savour - for all manner of reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to say “Hello Jane, lovely to see you. You’re looking good”

      Delete
  3. What a renewing glimpse of humanity you described, Jane. What a meaningful event to be a part of, in so many ways.
    I loved Taproot for so many years! I subscribed for a long while and can’t even remember, now, why I let it drop. (Amanda Soule, the editor, was author of the first blog I ever read!) Can’t wait to see what you’re making.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The world of birds and migration have been on my mind too. I had hoped to see the snow geese but missed it. Have to plan better next year. I am so curious about your table runner. I also see patterns as suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How I would love to see those cranes! Your description of your fellow bird watchers is beautiful and encouraging. People CAN be nice and CAN get along! What a concept!! I think patterns are a great was to gather some inspiration - I am looking forward to seeing your runner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to come north to see the sandhill cranes also, and I'm quite excited by that lovely paragraph full of hope that you have given us. I'm going to come back and read this when I tire once again of political infighting and man's inhumanity to man.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I miss daffodils so much! What a wonderful way to spend your time… I love Sandhill Cranes, they are such beautiful birds. Sounds like you were in great company too while watching the migration. We have a few cranes that visit and I love watching them fly overhead…they are huge! Thank you for sharing sweet friend and my blog is back up too ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see you made good use of your handknits while you were out watching the cranes! I certainly don't get to see such sights in my area, but I am enjoying hearing all the birds getting much more chatty these days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. While I have not seen cranes, I have noted a few birds stopping over for a little respite before they continue on north... it is the best part of spring! Thank you for sharing the wonder of those cranes... and it does a body good to know that birders are a kind and generous lot! Perhaps we can inspire more people to become birders and the world will be a better place for it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't it fun when a group of random strangers become one in an activity? When we go to our local park, I think about how we are all here enjoying nature together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It wasn't until I read "last weekend of winter" that I realized this post was from two Fridays ago (oops!) - this tradition is such a wonderful way to mark the winter to spring transition. the consistency of the birds' migration and the camaraderie you observed among the "strangers" make me hopeful, too. Finding common ground in nature is a beautiful thing - happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete