Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Making a Book

Hello Gentle Readers, Here, true autumn weather comes and goes. Weather- wise, Saturday, with a 95 degree high and very windy conditions, was miserable. I spent the day indoors because of allergy symptoms. In a nearby county, rural firefighters fight grass fires. Sunday and Monday temps were more like October. Monday I went out early to a dentist appointment and wore jeans, long sleeves, and a cotton cardigan. The morning air was crisp if dusty.

Today I link with Kat and the Wednesday Unravelers to post about knitting/making and reading. This week I finished a book-making project that began in June. Sometimes I make small chapbooks of my finished poems but this book was a more involved project. The instructions for the binding in this project are adapted from Cover to Cover: Creative Techniques for Making Beautiful Books, Journals, and Albums. There are many how-to books and online resources for bookmaking, I find this one useful.   


After making a cloth pouch in the slow stitch style, I was inspired by k3n cloth tales to make small hand-stitched piece to go with a poem I shared here in April. I enjoyed the stitching so I made more pieces to go with other poems in a collection about the Prairie. 


Several pieces, such as the blue feather, are designs by Kathryn of cloth tales. Others like the pinwheel and the prairie above are my own. I stitched the finished pieces onto the page by stitching along the top with quilting thread. I wanted to be able to see the wrong sides. To me, they are as interesting as the right sides. 





There are ten poems with ten pieces of stitching in this little book. I used materials I had on hand. The pages were leftover from a package of blank cards I used to make birthday cards for my grandchildren. The covers are made from cardboard from the backs of writing paper tablets covered with fabric. The spine is created with ribbon and pearl cotton embroidery thread. The ribbons extend about the same length on the back of the book. I am pleased with it, imperfections and all. 


As for reading, I am listening to 
The Cemetery of Untold Stories by Julia Alvarez. As you might guess from the title, the novel is about storytelling. The main character is a writer who is ready to retire but has boxes of unfinished work. She goes back to her homeland, the Dominican Republic, to literally bury those stories. The narrator is excellent. The metaphors and themes about stories in this novel would make an interesting book group discussion. I'm enjoying the audiobook. 

I am chugging along with The Pocket: A Hidden History of Women's Lives, 1660-1900 by Barbara Burman. Some of this nonfiction is interesting but it could have been better edited. Some of the text seems repetitious so I skimmed a few sections. As an aside, the print in my paperback copy is quite small. That may have been a budgeting consideration, especially with the number of photographs.   

We delivered our mail-in ballots to the office of the Election Commission yesterday. I'm preaching to the choir, but please Vote. In this crazy season, I hope you are well and safe.






11 comments:

  1. Your book is just lovely and gives me some ideas about a project that has been simmering in my head. I watched a documentary with Julia Alvarez recently and have that book on my list too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The documentary is on PBS - Juliann

      Delete
  2. The book is beautiful! What a treasure, with all that lovely stitching and your beautiful poems inside.

    Congratulations on voting! I plan to vote in person, with my daughter by my side, on Election Day. I'm pretty sure my ballot got lost in the mail in 2020 (I never received confirmation that they got it), so I've been voting in person ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Your book is impressive and inspiring. I love all the thought that you put into it, especially putting the stitched pieces into the book to be able to see the back and all the creative ways you repurposed materials. This bookmaking at its finest and you deserve to be pleased and proud.

    I have been reading The Pocket in small doses. I agree that it could have used better editing, and it may be a bit too in-depth and dry for this non-academic reader. But it's still an interesting subject and makes me grateful that I was not a woman in the 18th century.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Jane! What a beautiful book you've created! I love every page; every stitch. It's truly a treasure. And thanks for the important reminder to VOTE. Tom and I have our ballots, and plan to return them directly to our clerk's office. I don't want to risk having them lost in the mail! (Luckily, we have an online tracking system here in Michigan, so we can track our ballots at every stage.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Jane (! I see Kym started her comment the same way!) your book! ...and also the other words she said about it. ditto! and for voting - we have three weeks of early voting available in person. which is always doable. I usually vote in the middle of the middle week to avoid crowds, but this year I plan to go early ... I can only hope there are lines. Voter turnout seems key!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What an amazing book you have. I am so impressed - it is beautifully stitched and thoughtfully put together.

    We don't have early voting in NH but I will definitely be there on election day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful book Jane! I love that you are incorporating both your writing and your stitching into it. It will be a treasure for sure. Our Fall is suddenly more colorful and the weather has been great! We will be dropping off our ballots in a day or two...on our way to get some pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your book is awesome, inspiring and beautiful Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your book!! How nice to use what you have and making it as meaningful as possible. It is an heirloom and a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jane your book is amazing. Definitely an heirloom to pass down to your kids and grands. What memories it will bring. It is sooo beautiful and well thought out.

    ReplyDelete