Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Mid-September

Hello Gentle Readers. This mid-September brings changeable weather with alternating cold and warm fronts. Sunday morning was chilly. Then on Monday, a warm humid day was sandwiched between morning and evening thunderstorms . When the sun shines, the skies are beautiful beyond description. I continue to cut and enjoy bright zinnia bouquets although the rest of the garden looks ragged. Some of zinnia blooms have morphed into slightly different hues. Perhaps they also age. 


Depending on how Wednesday goes, I hope to link with Kat and the Unravelers. If not, I'm there in spirit. This week, as changeable as the weather,  I worked a little on this and a little of that. I enjoy knitting the handspun shawl and have just started a second section of eyelet lace. From the photo you can see I cast on a pair of socks that I hope will be a travel project. 


I stitched on the piece of fabric that I plan to sew into a small pouch. I finished the grid on the back as well as the front flap. Even though it isn't visible in this photo, I couched on the last six square grid that will be the inside front of the pouch. All of this makes sense in my head so I hope it comes together in real life. I don't have a pattern although I have made other pouches following tutorials by k3n (Kathryn) Cloth Tales. 

This week I listened to A Line in the World: A Year on the North Coast  by Dorthe Nors, translated by Caroline Waight. This nonfiction is a description of Nors' homeland on the Jutland Peninsula of Denmark. I would classify this five plus hour audiobook as nature writing with a touch of memoir. In a calm but clear-headed voice, Nors explores the connection between inhabitants, environment, geography, and history of the rugged area. She doesn't shy away from controversy or ugly truths but still the narration was peaceful and hearing the pronunciation of names and locations in several languages added to my enjoyment. Nors' purpose in writing the book was to explore a woman's relationship to the land and area and she did so without romanticizing it. I came away with a sense of the rugged beauty and a respect for those who live there.

I also read the mystery, Murder at the Spirit Lounge by Jess Kidd. This is the second in a series featuring Nora Breen, the fifty some year old former nun pursuing a criminal in "Gore-on-the-Sea" along the coast of England. I am enjoying this indomitable woman who is forging a new life for herself in middle age as well as the cast of quirky characters. While it's not a Louise Penny novel, the sardonic humor and plot twists kept me entertained. 

I hear rain on the roof. I need to find a raincoat and run a few errands. Enjoy your making and reading while you stay well and safe.   

A September leaf


11 comments:

  1. Your handspun shawl is really lovely, as is your September sky. I really love the scraps and stitching on your pouch. I don't think I will look at scraps in quite the same way now that I've seen how beautifully you have combined yours with stitching. I just checked Hoopla and was thrilled to find A Line in the World so that is what I'll be listening to as I stitch on Justin's hat. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a change-able time of year, Jane! The weather is all over the place here where I live, and . . . well . . . my garden is decidedly ragged these days. (Especially because the rabbits ate every one of my zinnias this year and I have none of their lovely blooms this fall.) You shawl is so lovely and your stitching is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when autumn comes in slowly. That shawl color is beautiful. Sounds like travel is in your future so sending traveling mercies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a pretty Fall leaf! I like the touch of green on it. Your shawl is progressing nicely as we progress into cooler weather. This morning I wrapped a shawl around my shoulders while I had my coffee and wrote my blog post. A Line in the World sounds right up my alley - I just saw a hard copy is available from my library, and I have requested it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The shawl is lovely. I love that color combination. Leaves are starting to fall here even though the weather is still very warm. I can see subtle changes happening and it's making me very happy. I'm ready for this summer to end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also am enjoying this push and pull of the seasons... as summer fades and fall inches in! There is something quite magnificent about the edges of the seasons. I am enjoying it tremendously this year! Your knitting is beautiful and perfect for this time of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It seems we're all experiencing the back and forth between real fall weather and the summer heat and humidity! I have noticed some zinnias in the neighborhood fading in color; meanwhile, I finally have some that are about to bloom (the rest where gnawed off by rabbits). I love seeing your handspun shawl grow, and the piece of stitching is such fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A Line in the World sounds like an interesting read/listen -- added to my queue! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, I haven't been by to visit for a while, so it is good to catch up. I love the fun and creative things you make. You are so talented. Our weather is turning more fall like too, and I am loving it! I remember how lovely Nebraska autumns can be, so enjoy the season. I'll come back to visit again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jane I love all of your "making". The shawl is so dainty. Your stitching always amazes me. Can't wait to see the pouch. You mentioned socks for travel...I hope that means you will try again to see your daughter and family. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That book sounds like something I would enjoy! I'll add it to the list. The stitching is so lovely :) around here it is screaming fall and once my company leaves today I will put the house back to the way it was and resume my crafting and reading.

    ReplyDelete