Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Contrast

Hello Gentle Readers. Here, the fall colors put on a gorgeous show while the days remain unseasonably warm. We have yet to have a freeze but that will change this weekend. When I walk, I slow my pace to take in all the beauty. The falling leaves speak to me of kindness and grace. I need not have worried about lack of fall color. Fall just arrived later. The first juncos appeared in our yard on Monday while the butterfly bush continues to bloom, hosting monarchs and other skippers. All in all, it's been a week of contrasts. The beauty in the landscape as well as kindness among neighbors and friends stands in direct contrast to the terrible news in the world. 

Wednesday is the day to link with Kat and the Unravelers so here goes. I am working away on the Knit Paper Scissors (local shop)  KAL wrap. Each clue drops on a Friday of a Husker football game. We had a bye week with no game and no clue. Anyway, I caught up during the bye week and am working on this week's pattern section. It's growing ever longer but the last few nights the house has been so warm I haven't wanted it on my lap. If you are a sports fan, the UNL Women's Volleyball team is this year's star. These young women are fun to watch and best of all they are inspiring young girls. I've seen a couple of girls wearing red while out playing with volleyballs. 

This week I also worked on socks. I finished this pair. They are tucked away as a Christmas gift. The Impossible Girl pattern is a nice one. This is my sixth pair. 

I thought it was time to try a new sock pattern. Enter the Hocus Pocus socks. I found this skein of gold yarn in my stash as well as a leftover for contrast. Dee has knit this pattern at least once. She once commented to me that it's not as hard as it looks. Being a master sock knitter that she is, she is correct. I'm cabling without a needle. I complete the cable twists in one sitting so I don't lose my place in the pattern. Honestly, this cuff/leg will go quickly because each repeat is a little over one inch. These socks aren't travel knitting for me but the pattern is a lot of fun to knit at home. 

Although I'm a little late to this party, I highly recommend A Year of Marvellous Ways by Sarah Winman. This novel weaves a magical story around the sweet relationship between a wise unconvetional grandmotherly character, and a soldier traumatized by World War II and other events in his life. The two help each other along with kindness, grace, and stories. Other characters are also well written.  The Last Remains a Ruth Galloway mystery by Elly Griffiths became available from the library. Although by now, the books are formulaic, I enjoy Ruth and the usual cast of characters. For now, this is the last book in this series so I wanted to read it. 

I hope the fall colors bring you some beauty and comfort these days. 

Ravelry Links

Summer Girl Socks 6.0

A Little Hocus Pocus




12 comments:

  1. I appreciate you sharing your autumn in progress. Ours seems to be quite late this year, with a few reds and yellows but many more trees are still green with no change at all. We did have frost on Monday but now we're unseasonably warm, so I guess leaves will change when they are good and ready to. (No juncos yet either.) I like the yarns you chose for the Hocus Pocus socks and the artfully arranged leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so nice to be outside and to be able to enjoy the colors. We're having a little warm-up this week (ironically, after waking up to our first frost on Monday), so we have blue skies to contrast the reds and oranges of the leaves -- just perfect! I like the start of your new socks a lot and think they have just enough interest to keep you engaged. I look forward to seeing them grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your colors! (sorry about the freeze though; I think ours is likely still a few weeks away) ... and I'm delighted you're finding Sarah Winman so ... delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tree in the last photo is putting on quite a show: it’s gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have beautiful fall colors there in Nebraska. I love the socks! Whoever gets a pair of your socks as a Christmas gift is lucky indeed! Enjoy the rest of this week and the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such pretty socks Jane! I find it is good to mix up and switch sock patterns. Knitting a lot of socks (as I do) it is easy to get bored doing the same old, same old. Interspersing a new pattern keeps things moving along for me. We are later this year with color too, but lately I have been seeing some glorious trees. I agree about the ruth Galloway books becoming formulaic, but I have enjoyed them. I need to check my library again for Marvelous Ways - last time I checked they did not have it. Boo-Hiss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The socks playing footsie with each other look like fun and the addition of the darker green heel and toe just finishes them off nicely
    I'm smiling at the autumn colours in your garden and out on the street - here the spring bulbs have finished, rhodies camellias and magnolias are on their way out but it is still cool (cold even). A few consecutive days of warm weather would be good

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful colors, Jane! Ours are still coming along slowly this year, and kind of in fits and starts. But I just love the leaves in the fall! Enjoy the season -- and your sock knitting! XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the return of the juncos! And your tree is spectacular! Your reading this week is a good reminder to dive back into a Bruno, Chief of Police book! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like your green socks. The stripes look great, not much pooling at all. Can't wait to see how your gold sock turns out. Pattern is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. a beautiful pair of socks in my husband's favorite color!! I am thoroughly enjoying the autumn season and the show of colors - I never want it to end. I haven't seen a junco yet but my sister did yesterday so they are in the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your socks. I am stalled on sock knitting right now and have returned to hats.

    ReplyDelete