Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Hello November

Hello Gentle Readers. Here we are in November. These days, that feels like an accomplishment. Last Friday brought a cold snap. We even had a few flurries of snow on Saturday. I am not ready for such cold weather but then again it is November. Leaves fall, some turned to the rich autumn colors but others are a dull green and brown. This time of year I think of Carrie Newcomer's recording, "Leaves Don't Fall, They Just Let Go." The predictable seasonal changes bring comfort. 

Today is Wednesday and time to check in with Kat and the Unravelers. I continue to work on the local yarn shop knit-along. This "slanket" is growing and will require a good blocking when finished. I am enjoying the different stitch patterns and textures. Some are new to me and others are not. Unfortunately I ran short of the colorway for the latest section. I'm going over to the yarn shop to look at the finished sample to see how I might adjust the rest of the wrap. I'm sure this is due to my loose knitting and gauge although I did check the gauge of the garter stitch as directed. I have yarns in the other colors so I'll figure out something. As the saying goes, "no one will notice it on a galloping horse." I'm giving myself a lot of credit here as I rarely gallop and never run but you know what I mean.

The sock is coming along nicely. I finished the heel flap, turn, and gusset and am knitting down the foot. I've been listening to the early Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes mysteries by Laurie King while I knit on these socks. They are going to be forever associated with Mary Russell, a strong smart female protagonist who now and again disguises herself to solve the mystery. Hocus Pocus indeed.

I cast on the Creekside Shawl with handspun BFL /silk held double with a strand of mohair. The finished edge will be a familiar simple lace pattern. It's not quite feather and fan but reminds me of it. At the moment, the name escapes me. I'm letting the handspun do the work and it is performing admirably. I'm knitting on size 7 needles. I chose it both as a break from the smaller needles in the other two projects and also because I have always wanted to knit this pattern. Where do those "yens" come from? Patterns appeal to us in different ways at different times. Right now knitting a shawl is comfort and shelter from the news.  

I'm reading Walking in Wonder by John O'Donohue and inspired by his quiet elegant thinking and writing. I read a bit and then stop to reflect and then read a little more. I finished The Last Remains by Elly Griffiths. I won't say much because I don't want to give away the story but I found the conclusion satisfying. Others think differently. I'm going to miss Ruth and Nelson. I'll even miss Cathbird and Judy as well as Bruno and Thing.  

Welcome to November. Stay warm and have a good week. 

Ravelry Links

HusKAL Wrap

A Little Hocus Pocus

Handspun Creekside Shawl


11 comments:

  1. The mohair and your handspun sure play together nicely. What a beautiful color that works up to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you'll figure out a lovely workaround for the KAL shawl, and your sock is coming along nicely. I'm entranced by the Creekside pattern; as you said it's almost feather and fan but not quite. Yours is beautiful with your handspun + mohair, and I'm thinking about what yarns I could use from my stash to knit it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a little snow here this morning -- sweater weather is here, officially! Your "slanket" is looking lovely with the combination of colors and stitches. I certainly would not notice if it's different, and I'm sure whatever adjustments you make to it will be just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The really wonderful thing about knitting something "sampler-y" (like your KAL "slanket") is that surprises are part of the fun! Different stitches, different colors . . . all mix up together in a delightful way. I don't think anyone would notice (galloping or otherwise) if you subbed in a whole new color if you wanted! I can't wait to see how it all comes together. XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your slanket is lovely and like others have said, I doubt a new or different color subbed would be noticed. Your socks have come along so nicely and wow! I love Creekside and in your handspun it will be magnificent. Have fun knitting it. Oh, and I already miss all the characters from Elly Griffith's series with Ruth and Nelson.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Winter is pushing its way into the Laramie Valley, and the ever-present wind is strong and bone chilling. A few leaves are hanging on, as they obviously don’t want to let go yet which I understand completely: Winter is not my favorite season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had a dusting of snow yesterday as well! I am not ready for the snow to "stick" but the dusting was delightful! I am nodding in agreement with everyone's thoughts on perhaps adding a new color on your slanket! But I just love your new handspun project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Snow!!??!! We did have a freeze yesterday and today, but it's DRY cold - hope you have good weather in CT! and I just love that Creekside Shawl and how well your handspun is knitting up (can't wait to see it with the lace border!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those socks are coming along. I am not familiar with the Sherlock series you mention but I need an good audio book. I have Walking in Wonder in my November book stack too. W have had a cold snap but the temps are moderating and the rain is coming. Good indoor knitting weather.

    ReplyDelete
  10. that handspun is gorgeous!! I do love a contrasting heel flap but rarely do them unless I remember to do them. We had a few snowflakes and they were nice. I've been enjoying listening to the geese!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ALL of your knitting is lovely. The mystery is going to be beautiful....a trip to the yarn store sounds fun. The closest one to me is a good hour drive. Love the socks....the fall colors and pattern work so well together. Can't wait to see the progress on the shawl pattern. Are you doing any Christmas knitting? I've barely started.

      Delete