Thursday, December 14, 2023

Unraveled Wednesday on Thursday

Hello Gentle Readers. Here in southeast Nebraska, the first half of December has been mild with little precipitation. This morning, I am happy to be sitting near the south windows looking out at a bright gray day. Late yesterday afternoon, I walked at dusk. My day was taken up by errands, some planned and some not. A quiet walk, with lights coming on in the neighborhood, was just what I needed. 

Thanks to the Computer Hardware technicians, my laptop is cleaned up and repaired. One to two business days, stretched into a week but with a warranty, I have a new battery and keyboard as well as a machine minus malware. Life is an adventure. At the same time, the oven needed repairs. These are first world problems so I am not complaining, only explaining my absence. Please know that I will read all the posts but may not comment on every one. In the meantime, I wrapped and mailed packages, sewed four aprons, and finished and frogged knitting projects. The aprons could be a separate post, maybe later. Even though it is Thursday, I'll link with Kat's Unraveled Wednesday post.

I finished the wrap that was the Knit Paper Scissors HusKAL fall project. The yarn and pattern were well suited to each other. I do enjoy knitting a sampler kind of project. It blocked beautifully. I wove in ends and was reminded why I save every bit of yarn until a project is completely finished. I found a dropped or loose stitch and was able to secure it with the leftover short length of yarn. 

I finished the Christmas socks and the Gold Thumb Mitts. Then I looked at four more projects. Everyone knits differently and that is a good thing. I know that if one of my projects languishes for months, it means it isn't for me. I frogged a shawl I started last Spring because I wasn't enjoying it. The other clue is a nagging voice inside my head telling me a project isn't working. After pulling on the handspun Creekside shawl every time I knit a row, I took a good look at it. I knit almost to the lace section, so I spent plenty of time ignoring that voice. The fabric was stiff and heavy and I knew I'd never wear it. More shawl fabric wasn't going to change the weight. The handspun held with a mohair silk lace was a bear to frog. If the yarn hadn't been handspun, I might have thrown the whole mess away but I didn't. Both yarns survived quite well. 

Now I am down to the Hocus Pocus socks and a scarf/shawl shaped like a Sophie Scarf. I plan to finish both of these projects before starting another knitting project. Having a clean slate at the end of the year doesn't always happen but it's nice when it does. Most evenings, I knit one repeat on the sock and then pick up the scarf. So far so good. I'm enjoying both projects and don't feel weighed down by unfinished ones sitting in the bins. 


I came to the end of Walking in Wonder and am still thinking about some of the essays, particularly the one on aging. At my age, how can that not be on my mind? There is a lot of wisdom in O'Donohue's writing. Currently I am reading The Quickening: Creation and Community at the Ends of the Earth by Elizabeth Rush. This is a nonfiction account of the author's journey to Antarctica on a vessel designed for research. Rush includes short transcriptions from her shipmates, including the gentlemen who crew and cook for the international team of researchers. Rush was one of the few journalists allowed on the boat. The journalists were charged with raising awareness about the speed at which glaciers in Antarctica are melting. The science is so interesting and Rush is thoughtful about her writing. She writes a little about previous exploration stories as the domain of white males. At the same time, she describes the beauty of the area, she explores her decision to bring a child into the world. The book is fascinating, enlightening, and frightening. 

Thanks for reading. It's good to be back. Now that I have a working oven, I hope to do a little baking. What are your plans for the rest of the week? 

Ravelry Links

HusKAL Wrap

Hocus Pocus Socks

Be Kind Scarf


10 comments:

  1. Hi Jane. Glad your computer woes are over and that you have your laptop back. Your knitting looks so nice and the key is to enjoy what you are doing. I was happy to finish up socks and am in no rush to cast on another pair. I want to do something different! I started a hat and ripped it then I cast on again (but have yet to knit any rows! LOL).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! I missed you and your gentle words, and am glad to hear that you have a repaired computer and a working oven. Those are things worth celebrating, along with a "cleaned up" project pile. Your HusKAL wrap is a lovely sampler in beautiful colors. I hope you have a chance to wear it soon. There are so many options in the Be Kind Pattern, and I find that I wear my Sophie shawls a lot. I hope to start reading Walking in Wonder sometime soon and thank you for the recommendation. I finished decorating today and think I may bake tomorrow - cranberry bread and pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful projects Jane ! I really love your finished Persimmon Wrap, I might have to make one too, and your socks are lovely. I haven’t heard of the books you shared, thank you so much for sharing ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you are back in blogland. I missed hearing from you. I love your projects. You always make and read such interesting things. I hope you have a nice weekend. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've so missed your voice, Jane! I'm happy you have both your oven and your computer back in operation. They may, indeed, be "first world problems" -- but we live in the "first world," so it is quite inconvenient to be without a working computer or a working oven. I love your sampler/KAL knit. I have a soft spot in my heart for any kind of samplers, and that one is just lovely. And it does feel so good to clear out and re-think our knitting projects now and again! Welcome back. XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad to hear your computer is back and healthy again, even if it did take longer than expected (but it certainly sounds like you used your offline time very wisely). Your finished wrap is beautiful and will likely keep you very warm this winter. I also applaud your persistence in unraveling the mohair/handspun shawl so that you can reuse that beautiful yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so happy to read that your computer is back up and running, phew!! I rarely walk if ever at dusk but my sister does. I tend to be an early morning walker weather permitting. Today will be mid day based on my schedule. Lovely knitting :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so happy you are back! You were missed! And let the holiday baking begin!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jane, so happy you are back in business...computer issues are the worst! I love the shawl you made with the KAL. Sooo lovely. I agree if something is not right, rip it. It takes a while for me, but I eventually get there. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely to see you back (and sorry it took me a while to realize)! your HusKAL shawl turned out beautifully ... the colors are so soft and I can imagine you'll wear it often. and *happy sigh* for Walking in Wonder (yes, that Aging chapter was so good; we spent more than one week on that conversation ... and tears mixed with laughter, and so many stories of women we'd witnessed aging well ... and not so much)

    ReplyDelete