Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Old Dog, New Tricks

Hello Gentle Readers. Over the weekend the birch leaves opened and the catkins on the tree turned yellow green. They make a mess but I have a broom and after all, the tree is just being a tree. This morning I watch the changeable April sky. Clouds, shadows, sunlight and bursts of fresh green are everywhere. Monday evening and into Tuesday several thunderstorms rolled through bringing much needed rain. In the backyard linden tree, there is what I've thought was a squirrel's drey. Now and then a blue jay perches on the edge. Yesterday I saw common grackle peering into the drey/nest. It is on the smaller side of a drey or maybe it has always been a nest. I wonder how this story will end. 

This Wednesday post links with Kat and the other Unravelers. I am happy to report my sweater is finished and it fits fairly well. I enjoyed knitting the color work yoke and once I fiddled with the fit, I also enjoyed working with the yarn. Warm wool sweater weather is over for this year but it's nice to know it will be waiting for me in the fall.  I keep knitting on the Sophie Shawl. Last night I reached the widest part of the shawl and began decreasing. 

I frogged the textured sock in the blue/gray yarn. The texture wasn't showing well and honestly after the handspun shawl and the sweater, I wanted to knit with some other color. I cast on a shortie sock with some new-to-me techniques. This pattern includes a back tab created with short rows. I modified the pattern to incorporate a shadow-wrap heel. I've never knit this heel so as I get further down the foot, I'm interested in trying it on for fit. 

In the spirit of having three knitting projects on the go and trying another new technique, I cast on the Same As it Ever Was Hat by Sarah. The pattern is well written and includes an easy-to-follow tutorial for the cast on. This new-to me yarn is working well with the pattern. And yes, that is a lilac, a good three weeks early, from the yard.

Reading has been a little slow. I'm enjoying walking and working in the yard. All the fresh air means I read myself to sleep much more quickly these days. I've read the beginning two stories in the novel North Woods by Daniel Mason. The novel has an interesting point of view with the constant being a cabin and some land in New England. I'm reserving judgement until I get further into the book. 

So here you have an old dog in a new sweater learning a few new knitting techniques. For now, the sky has cleared and the wind is gusting. What are you making this week? 


Forks to deter the squirrels. It's worth a try. 



10 comments:

  1. I laughed a little at the forks -- I tried the same thing last year to keep the bunnies away from my sunflowers, to no avail! I hope the deer aren't as smart and get scared off by them.

    Your sweater, as I have told you elsewhere, is simply lovely. I know it had its challenging points, but all that work was well worth it, and I know that you will get a lot of wear out of it when the weather is cold again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sweater is beautiful and it looks lovely on you! I was trying to come up with another small project to work on and had completely forgotten that it is now (or will soon be) shortie sock season. I'll keep this pattern in mind. Your early lilacs are such a pretty color. I put my plants outdoors at least 3-4 weeks earlier than usual except for a couple of special hibiscus. I might try your fork trick when I put those outside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous sweater, Jane! It turned out just beautifully. And what a nice fit.
    Enjoy those lilacs while you have them. One of my favorite scents.
    I like the idea of a tab on the back of a shortie sock--really makes a difference when you wear them.
    I hope you'll let us know if the forks work! We have two resident squirrels who, I'm pretty sure, think we live here solely as their hosts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous sweater, Jane! It fits you well! Those shortie socks are very interesting!

    I wish I knew a good fix for squirrels... my neighbor shakes cayenne pepper powder morning and night... It seems to work, but gosh he sprinkles a lot on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ta da…..that looks good on you. Fits in all the right places, as it should do after all the hard work you put into it.
    And what a good idea to have a ‘high back’ on the ankle of your short socks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sweater is so beautiful Jane and fits you perfectly! Hope you like the shadow wrap heel, I enjoyed trying it and love that it fits my heel like a glove.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jane! The sweater looks just great on you! Putting plastic forks in the planter to keep the squirrels from eating your flowers is a novel idea. Let us know how it works! I hope you are having a great week! See you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the sweater, and all the projects you've got going ... new tricks for sure! North Woods was one of my favorites last year - can't wait to hear what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love 'after all the tree is being a tree'! I love our sweater!! May the forks be with you in conquering the squirrels endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your sweater looks great on you..pretty knitting and nice fit. I appreciate that you like to learn new techniques with your projects. I like to do that to, and hope to do more of it after I can retire. Thank you for sharing your lovely poem and the process used to find the right words. Awesome! Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete