Tuesday, November 7, 2023

Simply a Moment - 11.7.23

 


Tuesday, November 7, 2023 at 11:07 a.m. 

Hello Gentle Readers. This morning is sunny and mild. I am soaking up the warmth in front of a south window. A breeze rustles the linden leaves that are a dull green with brown edges. The autumn colors of the maples have faded and some trees never did turn. 

My Mom would have loved this bright autumn morning. This is her birthday and so in honor of her I'm sitting in the sunshine with my knitting and drinking a Blonde Vanilla Decaf Latte. I believe she would have chosen strong black coffee with a dab of whipped cream. 

I've written about Mom more than once but I am thinking of her this morning. She was the best kind of mother, gentle and kind, encouraging all four of us to be what we wanted to be at the moment. She held a BS in nursing, a career that combined her compassion with science. Over the weekend I found an old yellowed paperback, (price $2.98!) Revelations: Diaries of Women, that she gave me for Christmas in 1978. In a way it is outdated and in a way not. I like the quote on the back, "To read this book of selections from women's diaries, is for a woman reader, to experience an excitement, a warm recognition, and a dizzyingly expanded sense of possibilties . . ." And isn't that "sense of possibility" what we want for all of our daughters and sons?  I'm rereading parts of the book. 

I received the most touching gift from my son yesterday and tomorrow we leave to visit my daughter and family. Years ago, a good friend gave me the pillow in the rocking chair. In case you can't read the words it says, "A Family is a Gift that Lasts Forever." Now more than ever I appreciate my family, those present and those alive in memory. 

Take good care friends and hold fast to what is good. 


 


7 comments:

  1. Have a delightful time visiting family, Jane! Knitting in the warm November sun feels like such a treat, does it not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that looks like an interesting book (I always enjoy a peek into someone's private writings). Have a wonderful and safe trip to visit your family - enjoy!! I'm hoping to (re) cast on something tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the gift from your son. No truer words than those on the little pillow. Family truly is everything. I hope you have a safe trip and a wonderful visit with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the delightful glimpse into your time spent sitting and appreciating the fall sun. Those moments provide valuable pauses and a chance to reflect on all that we have, and how lucky we are to have family in memory and in the present. Safe travels and I hope you all have a wonderful time together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post, Jane -- and a terrific tribute to your mother. Your words brought me a sense of calm and peace, something I so crave these days. Thank you. And have a wonderful visit with your family. XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday to your mom and your lovely memories of her. The older I get the more I think of my mom. Today is going to be a beautiful day and I hope your day is as well. Safe travels and have F U N!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love when you write about your mom! Trust you're having a ball in CT, reveling in your own role as mom and grandmother.

    ReplyDelete