Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Where Was I?


Hello Gentle Readers. Since I last posted, we traveled to Connecticut to visit our daughter and family. Now it is good to be home. A brisk November wind blows out of the north. However, the sun is bright and that makes all the difference. The weather is perfect for Thanksgiving. 


We had a wonderful visit full of adventures with my daughter and her family. We managed to get a photo with all four kids in our summer camp t-shirts. Somehow it never happened in August. We also took a photo of Norah in her rainbow sweater. I was happy to know she is wearing and enjoying the sweater.


One blustery day, Kate, Norah, and I walked around Tod's Point. I've never been in November or at such a low tide. For a few minutes, Norah got out from under the blanket in her stroller to look at rocks and shells. My daughter found a few pieces of sea glass. 


We enjoyed ordinary days, filling them with walks to and from school, games of UNO, baking muffins, and taking fewer photos. Emmett and I remembered our infamous back-to-back photo and he is now officially taller. 


One morning, Lance and I walked to a local coffee shop and then to the park a block or so away from Kate and Patrick's home. It was a beautiful brisk morning and we enjoyed the New England color. See the park photo above. 

Another day, Kate and I took the metro-north train into NYC. We toured the incredible Morgan Library and Museum and then we walked to The Strand Bookstore and all the way back to Grand Central. I logged more than 13,000 steps that day and kept up with my athletic daughter. Excuse the less than stellar selfie. 




Today is Wednesday and the day to link with Kat and other makers. My travel knitting was yet another pair of socks. Before leaving, I knit the ribbing and a few rows of the pattern. I haven't touched them since we arrived home late last Thursday. Truth to tell, I am a little tired of sock knitting so I'm working on the HusKAL wrap. I now have six WIPS, including a Christmas gift. This is at least two too many for me. In my defense, I knew I'd never be able to knit the Hocus Pocus socks in between playing UNO and reading bedtime stories so I cast on the travel socks with an easy familiar pattern. 


I read a hard copy of 
The Masterpiece by Fiona Davis. This historical novel is not great literature and the storyline isn't altogether believable but I did enjoy the information about Grand Central Terminal. I find Grand Central so interesting with it's blue ceiling, grand staircases, and the clock ticking in the information booth. Although I wouldn't change my life, growing up in small town Nebraska and living in the small city of Lincoln is quite a contrast to the hustle and bustle of Grand Central.  

This Thanksgiving week, I am grateful for family and friends - both near and far, those I see in person and those I know only virtually. I am grateful for a safe trip, two smooth traveling days (no small accomplishment when one is flying), happy times with family, face time and phone calls with our Texas family. I am grateful for a warm house and clothing, good health, delicious food, hot coffee and tea. Did I mention wool socks and shawls? The list is long. I wish you all a good week and if you celebrate, a Happy Thanksgiving.  

Ravelry Link

Herminones Christmas Socks




8 comments:

  1. Welcome back! It's good to see you in print again. Wow, it sure sounds like a wonderful trip (you all packed so much into it!!). The 2023 camp shirt photo is beautiful - wonderful smiles all around. Norah's Rainbow Sweater looks perfect on her! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful trip you had! You don't have to do oodles of over-the-top activities to enjoy yourselves and make some lovely memories. I'm glad to see Norah's big smile and her sweater and the Morgan library is beautiful. Your socks are quite good-looking and I'm happy you are thankful for so many things (me, too). I'm thankful for you and your beautifully descriptive posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little Norah certainly favours her grandma - looking at the two of you in the T-shirt photo you can see beautiful facial similarities. And doesn’t she look a darling in her striped cardigan.
    I do hope you enjoy your special Thanksgiving holiday

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you had such a wonderful visit. I especially love that huge grin on Norah's face as she models her beautiful sweater -- she is most definitely knitworthy!

    Wishing you and your whole family a very happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so very glad you had such a delightful visit! I love seeing Norah in that rainbow cardigan! (and yay for growing grandsons!) Welcome home now... may you finish those adorable Christmas socks soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time. The magic of ordinary days is the best. Seeing Norah so happy wearing her sweater is priceless. Looking forward to seeing your knitting progress this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy you got to see your family!! Lovely pictures and how wonderful to make more memories!! We have family until Friday morning and the baby has been unwell. It's been a memorable visit!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous trip! I'm so glad you got all that time to play games, read stories, walk on the beach, play tourist, and get an in-person photo with Norah and her rainbow sweater. (totally agree about The Masterpiece ... and Grand Central)

    ReplyDelete