Wednesday, January 10, 2024

All the Wool

Hello Gentle Readers, 

Monday and into Tuesday six inches of snow fell. Mid-day Monday the air warmed enough to create some wintry mix. This blanket of wet snow is very welcome. As often happens in January, this storm ushered in much colder air. We are in for at least a week of subzero temps and lower wind chills. It's time to wrap up in all the wool: socks, cowl, sweater, shawl, hat, and mittens, preferably two pairs. I am wearing all items at one time or another. 

In January, falling snow creates a deep peace. The quiet that comes from snow muffling sound and the white gray skies are my favorite things about these winter days. This fall and winter a Cooper's Hawk hunts in the neighborhood. A few minutes ago a cardinal flew from the birch and the hawk followed. Do I hope the cardinal got away or that the hawk doesn't go hungry or instead found a mouse?  Nature isn't always easy.

Today is Unraveled Wednesday with Kat and company. Last weekend I finished the blue fingerless mitts. This is a nice pattern for a fingering weight mitt in three different sizes. Directions for picking up thumb stitches across the gap are a little vague so I did my own thing. I like a method I once learned from a youtube tutorial that helps avoid gaps on either side of the picked-up stitches. I have enough yarn to make another pair, perhaps in a larger size, as a gift. 

The handspun shawl grows slowly but the color is starting to change. The nuthatch-like colors also match the winter skies. The design that runs along the side is intuitive so it is a peaceful knit. I would like at least two more shades to be part of the shawl so I'll be playing with the gradient. I have another skein of three darker shades. There is plenty of yarn for a generous sized shawl. 

I cast on a scrappy hat. The yarn is leftover from the Guernsey Wrap/Scarf I knit several years ago. The December countdown yarn was a gift from my son and daughter. I've been wearing the scarf on my walks as it is wide and warm. I decided the leftover yarn would make a nice hat. I tried the CopyCat Beanie but didn't like the way the purled section rolled. I decided to stripe the colors in stockinette which is also rolling at this point but will look different as the hat grows. 😊 This year I'd like to knit a few projects from the scraps and leftovers I rarely give away. 


 As for reading, I am listening to I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou. Angelou reads this nonfiction. She has such a rich voice and as a writer, she is eloquent. I had forgotten the story of how her beloved brother Bailey shortened her name from Marguerite to Maya. It's interesting to juxtapose this book with The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store by James MacBride. Strong female characters play important parts in these stories as does the setting in general store. MacBride's fiction is a story of community from the perspective of adults coming together to protect a child, while Angelou wrote a memoir of her communities based on childhood memories in the same time period. Racism is experienced by both communities. 

I'm rereading Winter Solstice by Rosamond Pilcher because I needed what my sister calls a 2:00 a.m. book. This book is charming and sweet. Coincidently, I'm reading Winter Solstice: An Essay by Nina MacLaughlin. This little book is a meditation on the winter season with both scientific information as well as folklore, and the writer's musings about winter. It's a peaceful slim book that I wish was longer.

This is more than enough from me today. What about you? How's the weather and what are you reading?


Ravelry Links

Pioneer Gloves

Solstice Shawl

Scrappy Hat

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder of Winter Solstice: An Essay. I just ordered it (and also her Summer Solstice book). Those mitts are lovely and your Nuthatch shawl is coming along nicely. I do love the peace that comes with snow (and that's one of the reasons I so enjoy walking in the winter). But...you are right...nature can be cruel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoy reading your weekly postings, especially your opening paragraph(s) . You eloquently paint a picture with your words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how the rib on the mitt goes down onto the thumb. That is very classy.

    We had buckets of rain last night and they say two more big storms are headed our way between tomorrow and next week. The one next week might be snow. We'll see I guess. In any case, we'll be stocking up on food so we don't have to go out if it IS snow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've also had some snow this week but a lot has been washed away by some rain the night before last. Boo! But it was nice to get some winter-like weather, which has been in short supply this year. I hope you stay warm during this cold snap. This is when all of our hard knitting work pays off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those mitts are lovely -- I just love how the thumb gusset grows so organically from the ribbing.

    We did not get much snow here, but the frigid cold is headed for us next week, so I will be layering on the knits. Yesterday I got soaked on my run; it was supposed to be snowing but I guess it was a bit warmer outside than I thought, so it was part snow and part rain. I was thankful to be able to jump right into a hot shower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the Winter Solstice heads up! I have put it on my list to pick up next time I am out and about! I am loving your handspun shawl! It is beautiful, Jane! (and those mitts will come in handy for bitterly cold days!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always enjoy hearing about the birds in your neighborhood, and your reminder that nature isn't always easy. I also enjoy seeing your Nuthatch shawl and the new shades that you are knitting into it. It doesn't seem that any nearby libraries have the Nina MacLaughlin essay but it sounds so worthwhile that I am ordering it. Thank you for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such lovely projects Jane and I look forward to seeing your finished pieces. I have been thinking about a hat and definitely want to make a pair of mitts. I enjoy reading Rosamunde Pilcher’s books, and Winter Solstice was enjoyable. Stay toasty warm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always enjoy the little ‘natural history’ sections of your blog posts - the environment and wildlife isn’t your part of the world is very different to mine and your observations bring it all to life.
    Dressing for the weather in pure wool definitely seems to be the way to navigate a climate such as yours.

    You know I read Winter Solstice a while ago but I’m trying to remember what it was all about. Something tells me I’ll have to ‘ look it up’ and possibly reorder from the library. Although ‘Heatwave’ would suit our weather this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Maya and have read that book twice. she is such a beautiful writer. Look at those mitts!!! Love the stitch definition and the way the pattern moves across the hand.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your knitting is beautiful and inspiring. Can't wait to see the shawl blocked out! Your mitts have inspired me to start a pair soon for a friend at work. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We've got a storm on the way here today. I'm looking forward to some "real" snow. (We've had little bits here and there, but nothing deep and lasting yet.) I really loved reading the Winter Solstice essay last month. I look forward to reading her summer version in June! (And I love reading Pilcher's Winter Solstice novel in the winter months. It's so comforting!) Enjoy the weekend, Jane.

    ReplyDelete