Friday, January 5, 2024

First Friday in the New Year

Mittens from long ago

Hello Gentle Readers, 

Although this first Friday of 2024 is gray, the year feels new. I'm going to enjoy the newness for as long as the feeling lasts. And, as my Mom and I used to tell each other, "It's Friday." So I'm writing a TGIF post. 

I am thinking about my maternal grandmother, Helen. Today is her birthday. Gram grew up in Omaha was definitely a city girl. She was lively and outspoken. No one every had to wonder what she was thinking. She was also very pretty and enjoyed cosmetics. I believe her natural hair color was auburn. She drafted dress patterns that she sewed in order to have a stylish wardrobe. She thought nothing of cutting fabric from furniture and using it to create and sew new coverings and upholstery. She wall papered every room in her house and was still climbing ladders at age 70. Although patience was not one of her virtues, she did teach me to knit and sew. 

She and my grandfather lived twelve from us so I frequently rode my bike or walked to her house. Unless she was hosting bridge or Violet Club, she was happy to see us. She lived until my children were 8 and 6 so they have memories of Grama Grama. She knit the baby/toddler mittens in this basket for Kate and Aaron. They were born in Cheyenne, Wyoming and she wanted them to be warm. She loved family celebrations but never wanted anyone to know her age so in her honor I'm not noting it here. 😊

I am grateful for my healthy stash of pretty yarns. Heeding Gram's advice, "I buy the best yarn I can afford." Last week I tossed the stash and reorganized the bins. While I worked I made a list of possible projects. "Possible" is the operative word. I don't believe in rules for my making. If I glance at the list now and then, I can recall what is tucked away in the four bins. 

I am inspired by the kindness in my neighborhood. We live near a sweet little family who are immigrants. Recently when the father was out of the country, neighbors of various political persuasions pitched in to help the young mother with mowing, scooping snow, a dead car battery, a key locked inside the car, writing letters of recommendation so he could get back home, and other things. I helped the eldest little girl with a bit of knitting. After a long period of time, the family has been reunited. This year they delivered small holiday gifts to their neighbors. In this way, lies hope. 

Today's fun is packing up a birthday gift for Jonah. He got a fishing pole from Santa. We are sending a small tackle box with a few items of fishing gear like a bobber, weights, and a pair of pliers. No hooks, though. Those can be added when absolutely necessary.  

The birch and the ornamental pear were quiet when I started this post. Evidently 11:45 a.m. is lunch time. The quartet of cardinals is back as well as a chickadee and a pair of downy woodpeckers. Two sparrows fling seed from the feeder tray. Across the way, I see a beautiful blue jay. 

Happy Friday. 

 


13 comments:

  1. I love the immigrant story! It is wonderful to see kindness in action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, love the immigrant story. What kindness and what hope! I also love your Grandmother story - she sounds like a wonderful person. I have never heard of a "Violet Club" and I'm going to google it and see if I learn anything. Happy birthday to Jonah!! I look forward to seeing your knitting projects during the year Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also had to look up Violet Club, and since I doubt that your Gram was involved with a nuclear weapon in the UK, I'm going to guess that maybe it had something to do with violets? Thank you for your kindness in the neighborhood story and I love your statement, "In this way lies hope". You've given me some hope and lovely imagery of the birds at lunchtime. I hope Jonah has a lovely birthday with his very own tackle box!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a wonderful story about the family in your neighborhood. Among all the awful, that story was a bright moment. I hope they truly felt the love and caring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jane. Your grandmother sounds like a talented and interesting woman. So glad you have such warm memories of her. Your neighborhood sounds so kind and generous with the immigrant family. Kind acts always bring hope. I hope you have a lovely weekend. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello lovely lady. . your Friday might have been grey (dull cloudy?) but ours was delightfully warm and sunny 25c/77f - and (lol) after all my moaning about the lack of summer weather we have a week of similar coming up 😊
    Your granny sounds like a real live wire - a modern woman who grew African Violets and wasn’t afraid to take risks - would you agree?

    And you know you're going to have to continue with your chatty Friday Posts don’t you - I really enjoyed this one reminding us that life is there to be lived and enjoyed, to open our eyes and see what’s around us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing these lovely memories! Your grandmother sounds like a real firecracker and a great role model. I'm also quite touched by the story of the family who was helped by all their neighbors. If only everyone could behave that way, our country would be in a much better place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your lovely memories of Grama Grama! My grandmother was also hesitant to share her age -- until she turned 100, and then she was ALL over it! I also love the story of how your neighborhood came together to support their immigrant neighbors. Hope, indeed, lies there. Happy new year, Jane. XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing such beautiful memories of your Grama Grama! It is lovely to have strong female family members, isn't it? :)

    Happy birthday to your grandson! I remember my Sam getting a fishing pole and the hours of delight that were sitting and fishing with him!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a lovely story about your neighborhood!! I enjoyed reading about the goodness of people. And loved the memories of your grand, I have strong memories of my mother's mother who was a strong female influence in my growing up. I dug deep into my stash and it was nice to find what I was looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  11. yay for Friday and TGIF! Love the story of your Gram - what a character, and how fun to have her live so close when you were growing up. and the immigrant story is inspiring ... communities CAN come together and yes, there is hope in that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful story about your grandmother and such memories you must have. Such a great post Jane and love the neighborhood story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Grandma sounds like a character! Love the description of her

    ReplyDelete