Wednesday, January 24, 2024

January Days


Hello Gentle Readers, I write on a gray overcast day. Fog greeted me early this morning. I know it creates hazardous highway conditions but today it felt like shelter from the world. Our son, Aaron, has been here for a visit. He worked remotely, attended an annual post holiday dinner with friends, and spent time with us. It was so nice to have him here. The fog has dissipated and my husband is driving him to the airport. I'm doing laundry. The house is quiet.  

After more snow last Thursday and a cold cold weekend, the temperatures will the rise into the 50's. Most of the snow will melt. Crazy as it seems, I will miss the cold snowy weather. It's how winter is supposed to be in Nebraska and elsewhere. In a world where many things are inside out and upside down, the cold and snow are reassuringly normal. Maybe a January thaw is also normal and conditions on the side streets will improve.

Unraveled Wednesday with Kat and friends finds my knitting mostly the same as last week. I put a few more rows on the yoke on the Maddox sweater. Slow and steady as well as knitting when I'm not tired and/or distracted keeps this project on track. So far, so good. 

Last night I unraveled a bit of the handspun shawl and tried to fade in the next shade of yarn. I don't know if it looks any better but it's what I could accomplish with the yarn I spun. Below are the after and before photos, in that order. Blogger rearranged the order of the photos. Who knows how that happened. Forgive the less than stellar lighting.  





In order to have a smaller project, I wound up this set of mini-skeins for a cowl. Last year, I won the set in a make-along hosted by Lisa of Fibernymph Dyeworks. I cast on the cowl but haven't taken any photos. I started with the deep green and it wouldn't photograph well in today's light. 


These days I'm reading from Devotions by Mary Oliver and Enchantment by Katherine May. I appreciate May's insights into pandemic and post pandemic life. Last night I felt like pumping a fist when I read her statement that the meditation system she was taught was set up from a male point of view. I also read The Woman in the Moon by Marjorie Saiser, a local poet. Saiser is near my age, although probably a little younger. This collection, including the title poem, reflects the experience of an older thoughtful woman. There are some local references that I also enjoyed. 

I hope you are all well and warm. 

Ravelry Links

Maddox Sweater

Winter Solstice Shawl

Wild Atlantic Cowl




12 comments:

  1. I'm with you on winter + snow, Jane! I love the cold, I love the snow. Better said, I like winter in winter, spring in spring, and summer in summer. Near 50° in January (in the Buffalo region, at least) is...not good :( Your words about the fog are so beautifully said.
    I zoomed in and clicked on your cowl--that looks like a fun one to knit! Plenty of color and stitch shift to keep it fun.
    So glad you enjoyed time with your son. I'll bet it was nice to have a post-holiday visit...when everyone could just BE together without any frenzy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun to see your post! It looks like you're doing some really complicated and pretty sweaters! Love those mini skeins; what pattern are you using for the cowl? Our book club just finished reading The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store, an interesting character driven story, and next on our list is Dirt by Bill Buford.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Foggy here too. Love the colors you've chosen for the cowl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on how winter "should" be. Our temperatures are above freezing which I'm grateful for, but they are supposed to be in the 50s starting tomorrow for a few days. That's way too warm for the end of January, but I guess I don't get a say in it. Your sweater and shawl are both looking beautiful and I'm intrigued by Marjorie Saiser. I don't have access to any of her books from my library, but I've just read The Nobody Bird and Final Shirt and they are stunning. Thank you for letting me know about her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very foggy here today...and I found it rather pretty. It can be like a cocoon which I like. Your knitting is so pretty Jane. The sweater will be gorgeous and your shawl is stunning. Love the cowl pattern and the yarn you have for it. The cowl reminds me of The Heartwarmer cowl which I have knit. So glad you son could visit (that has to warm your heart) and your reading looks perfect for January days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. foggy here, too ... and Jane, the fade you reworked looks amazing ... yay you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was so foggy here yesterday morning, which is not common in Phoenix. We live at the base of a mountain range and are about 500 feet higher than the city though and sometimes are weather and temperatures are slightly cooler. Lovely knitting and your sweater is going to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The fog has enshrouded Pittsburgh as well... every bit of snow has gone the way of melting... save a few spots in shadows. It saddens me... I loved the brightness that the snow offered. Your knitting projects are delightful! (and I especially love those mini skeins!)

    I felt much the same as I listened to Enchantment. When I look back on my days and think on how often my "perceived" failings were because I was trying to do something from the male point of view. I barely had a minute to read when my kids were little... and meditate? Well, that was not a "thing" in my life until I stopped working. I listen to my girls stresses of daily living and not much has changed in the years, but I have hope!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's interesting to me how we can be so far apart and yet experiencing the same weather -- we are also in the midst of a thaw and having dense fog. I went for a run yesterday and you could see the fog forming because there was so much moisture in the air! I don't really love the cold, and I'm not really enjoying the rain right now because everything is so damp, but it's nice to get a break and let everything melt before it all starts again.

    Love how your shawl is progressing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE Marjorie Saiser. She always makes such interesting observations about life and love and the world. I'd love to sit down and have coffee with her (and you, too, Jane!). I like the way your "re-fading" turned out; very nice. (And I don't think any of us have decent lighting at this point in the winter. . . ) Enjoy your week! XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wear cowls all the time, I find them versatile with my wardrobe. How nice that your son was there to visit and stay. I love when I see my kids. Your fade looks so nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. lol I’m another smiling at your thoughts about winter - our summer should be hot and dry but no luck this year. Have to wait until about June/July for foggy days in Melbourne.

    I believe you mentioned before that the Maddox sweater is your first attempt at colourwork. It’s looking good, looks warm as well so I’m sure will be useful on cooler days. So will the hand spun shawl with the cable running along one side.

    ReplyDelete