Thursday, February 29, 2024

Explore: February Notes


Hello Gentle Readers. This leap year day, the sky is blue and a brisk wind blows the clouds across the sky. I've picked up sticks and small branches several times. The March roller coaster weather arrived early with seventy nine degrees on Monday, a blustery cold Tuesday, and a low of eight degrees on Wednesday. Today the temperature bounces up to fifty degrees. The juncos are still in the garden and at the feeders. When they migrate out, winter is officially over. I did see a big flock of robins on Tuesday.

This is a post on my 2024 word, explore. 

Since late last Fall, my writing practice felt stale and stuck so I set out to explore ways to reenergize my writing. I have more than a few books about writing that say similar things in slightly different ways.  All have value and from time to time, I return to my favorites. I like Natalie Goldberg's freedom and the thoughtful approach in The Joy of Mindful Writing by Joy Kenward. Julia Cameron makes the point that anyone has The Right to Write. An older book that I started with, Writing for Your Life by Deena Metzger is dog-eared, full of bookmarks, and underlining. Although it might not be for everyone, her approach interested me. Most of the books on writing that I own were written by women although there are a few exception. 

To date, I've resisted online writing communities as I prefer pen, paper, and privacy. Once I open a screen, distractions are harder to avoid. In January, I subscribed to James Crews' weekly newsletter, containing a poem and a prompt because I can look at it or not. I admire the poems collected in his anthologies. 

I decided to wander though ideas about creativity. I am reading The Creative Act by Rick Rubin. What he has to say isn't earth shattering but a good reminder of what I have read elsewhere plus some new ideas. I appreciate his beginning statement saying he is recording his thoughts and that some, all, or none of them may be true. In other words, the reader should adopt what is useful to her. 

Coincidentally I'm rereading Willa Cather's, The Song of the Lark, a story about a young girl from a small Western town who grows up to become a vocal music artist. It's a favorite and a way to read Cather's ideas about creative growth. I suspect she drew on her own experiences when creating the Thea Kronborg, the main character.

The concept of space when creating has appeared in my reading. It came up in both Rubin's book and Enchantment by May. Thea in The Song of the Lark, takes an extended trip to the Southwest to rejuvenate and consider her life as a performing artist. I wonder if Cather's trips in the Southwest did much the same for her. Fiction is another avenue for exploring space and creative pursuits. 

These are my notes for February. I'm exploring ways to incorporate space in my writing practice. Space to be still, space where I can wander, space to write some pieces that should never see the light of day. Space to let poems and essays rest to see what they might want to become. 



Thanks to Carolyn for providing a link for posts about words of the year. 

11 comments:

  1. What a beautiful reflection on so many things! I just love seeing how you're connecting all those dots - interesting, inspiring, and thoughtful. Wishing more of all that in March. I'm feeling a need for some fresh air in my own writing - maybe literally at some point if Spring does arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always admire the precision and description of your public writing and I hope you can explore and find the space you are looking for in your private writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exploring seems to be such a good word for you Jane! I love your reflections and ideas...and they prompt and inspire me as well. Ironically, I had been thinking of "The Song of the Lark" a week or two ago - it's a favorite of mine. Wishing you inspiration as your explore your writing art. Enjoy and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. February sure was a crazy weather month. We had tremendous winds last night. I had to go fetch a huge piece of plastic off the road so no one hit it. We think it came off one of the power pole lines. Then we noticed this morning that one of our fence supports has cracked. We think one of the tree limbs was hitting it. Never a dull moment in February. Wonder what March will bring????

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First time round didn’t quite come out the way I wanted it to.
      Thank you for allowing us to shadow you as you mull over ways and means to enhance your writings. You have a knack of presenting your thoughts in ways that make us think as well as look around and see what’s there in front of us.

      Delete
  6. I love that you're primarily looking to women for writing advice and inspiration, and I love that you're exploring your writing practice.

    We've also been on the weather roller coaster. We had a drop of about 30 degrees in one day a couple of days ago, and we're supposed to be at 70 or warmer on Monday! I'm not surprised that everyone is sniffling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so deeply appreciate your writing, Jane. You make me think...thank you!
    I also get James Crews newsletter... and sometimes I take up the writing prompt, other times I just read for the inspiration he provides and... of course... the poem!

    ReplyDelete
  8. (I'm also reading Rick Rubin's book right now. I love it!) It sounds like you're well on your way to "exploring" your writing practice. What a lovely approach you've got going, Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  9. so lovely!! Like you I am 'stuck' with my art practice and so far I have just accepted that is the way it is for now and not to be too hard on myself because I can be my own worst enemy. I like the idea of supporting a practice through other avenues!! I do watch other artists and maybe I will pick up a creativity book or two.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your writing and your knitting. I'm glad you are back to writing a little more....it's funny how creativity ebbs and flows. Can't wait to see the knitting progress this week.

    ReplyDelete