Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Shawl Shelter Shalom

Hello Gentle Readers. This morning a rosy colored finch and his mate appear at the front feeder. Some years finches are numerous but lately they have been scarce so it's nice to see them again. Sparrows rule the backyards this winter. I've also noticed fewer nests in neighborhood trees. I'm not sure why this would happen but I feel a little melancholy to think fewer birds find shelter in the neighborhood. Our February temperatures are unseasonably warm but make for good walking.

Wednesday is the day to post with Kat and the Unravelers about adventures in making and/or reading. This week I finished the Solstice Shawl. This project has been a joy from start to finish. For me, it's a milestone to have spun a gradient yarn that I could knit into a shawl. Thank you all for your words of encouragement. 

March 2023 BFL Fiber

Although this is not new news, shawls are my favorite item to knit. Shawls and wraps have a rich history across many cultures. From a humble piece of fabric knitted in garter or stockinette stitch to the intricate lace wraps of Estonia and Shetland, shawls have sheltered generations of women from cradle to grave. I often wear them when I leave the house or need some comfort. This year with wars, violence, climate change, a difficult election cycle, and more I may knit several more. If I have too many, I'll give them away. Shawls are shelter, a comfort knit that brings peace. And so I stitch a prayer for peace, "Shawl, Shelter, Shalom."

Lest you think everything is peaceful here, I tried on the scrappy sock last night to see how close I was to the toe and thought the heel felt a little funky. I'm going to try it on again and decide if I can live with it or if it needs to be redone. 

As for reading, I am listening to What You are Looking For is in the Library by Michiko Aoyama. This is the March selection by my local book group. In this translated work, an interesting librarian who needle felts is the conduit for information to characters in need of inspiration. I'm not too far into the book but it reads like a collection of short stories. Maybe it is? Regardless, the book is a nice tribute to libraries and librarians. 

I continue with Night and Day by Virginia Woolf. Woolf's character development is witty. Pairing this novel with one by Jane Austen might make an interesting discussion. Woolf's commentary on the place of women in society seems to be the next generation of some of Austen's thoughts. Every evening before bed, I read one Mary Oliver poem from her collection, Devotions. I cannot offer much new about Oliver's work except to say her writing is another shelter from the noise of the world. It's a lovely way to end the day. 

And because you might need a smile, I'll end with an outtake of our photo shoot on the deck. Taking a decent photo of the shawl and me with a smile was a trick. At one point, I tried a less conventional approach.


As we head to the end of February, I wish you all a peaceful week. 

Ravelry Links

Solstice Shawl 

Scrappy Socks


 



 

10 comments:

  1. The shawl is truly lovely, and the sentiment behind it is as well. I had to laugh at that last photo. In addition to appreciating your embrace of the goofy, my parents tell me I did that with my childhood blanket as a young girl when we were at restaurants and I was shy of strangers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Solstice Shawl is stunning! I feel the same way about shawls and may repeat a few words of peace while I knit my Hydrophily. I dread the turmoil we may experience between now and November so more shawls may definitely be in order. And the outtake really made me smile! I'm glad to hear there's a little excitement in your world with the Scrappy Socks. (We knitters like to live on the edge.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jane - what a wonderful out-take. BUT, your shawl is truly magnificent. What a beauty. May it bring you warmth, shelter and peace. I agree that shawls are perfect for unsettled times. I often wear one in my office (for warmth), but the comfort it provides is so much more than warmth. I hope your heel is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shawl turned out beautifully - and what an accomplishment to spin and knit a gradient! Thank you for the Shawl, Shelter, Shalom prayer. and that last photo *still smiling*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jane your shawl is absolutely gorgeous and how wonderful that you used your handspun for it. I do love knitting shawls and have a couple of skeins of my handspun that I would love to make either a shawl or scarf out of, which eventually happen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gotta hand it to you Jane, producing a garment from go to whoa is quite special. And that’s a very special looking shawl you have there. It’s much larger than I thought it would be and I’m not wishing the return of cold weather on you but it would be a shame if you don’t get some wear out of it this winter.
    Today we had 35c/95f, there is an enormous (out of control) bushfire raging a couple of hours away. Hopefully the predicted cool change comes through along with rain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am nodding with all your thoughts about your shawl. There is something so perfect about knitting with yarn you made... it elevates the knitting! And I love your thoughts about the comfort a shawl can give. I hope that heel works...really. Those scrappy socks are so fun!

    (and thanks for the book recommendations!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Add me to the chorus here . . . of knitters who turn to shawls (to wear, to knit, to give) when they are seeking peace. Beautiful thoughts for a beautiful shawl, Jane. It turned out so lovely -- and it looks like it will be wonderful to wrap up in (or . . . to throw over your head and escape!). Thank you for sharing your projects, reading, and thoughts. XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a stunning finish :) It's the perfect size and a wonderful color palette to go with just about anything in MY wardrobe, lol. when I am done with the baby blanket I will return to a shawl and think your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jane! Your shawl is just lovely! I love how the fade turned out. I have truly enjoyed watching the progress of this beautiful shawl from start to finish.

    ReplyDelete