Friday, February 23, 2024

TGIF 2.23.24

Good morning Gentle Readers. It's Friday under a bright blue Nebraska sky. A bird sings outside my window as we edge our way to the last weeks of winter. Earlier, a robin cleaned up seed under the backyard feeders. Yesterday I walked around the yard, pulled a few weeds (there are many more) and straightened the pile of rocks in the pollinator garden. 

Today I am thinking about the yarn I plied yesterday. Currently, I am spinning commercially prepared Corriedale roving. The fiber has a soft hand and wants to be spun fine. As I plied, the singles kept drifting apart. Sometimes I could add enough twist to join the thread back together but I also tied a few knots. Either the singles are too fine or they didn't have enough twist. This is the second skein from this fiber and more uneven than the first. I have more of this fiber so I hope to make some positive changes. As an aside, while I spun this skein, I was dealing with stress of medication side effects and I wonder if it effected my spinning. 

I am grateful for my local book group. We met Wednesday evening to discuss Murder Your Employer: The McMaster's Guide to Homicide, a tongue in cheek novel with lots of word play. The hostess greeted us with warm hugs and served some lovely treats. We had a lively discussion about a variety of topics, including the book. We consoled a member who recently lost a dear loved one and spoke of things near to our hearts. I look forward to that gathering every month. 

I am inspired by migrating birds. This week I was on the edge of town picking up a friend for lunch. I had a magnificent view of the eastern sky and saw several flocks of geese. Then far in the distance was another group that looked like a handful of black pepper thrown in the sky. That flock was too far away to identify but just might have been sandhill cranes. The natural cycle is rejuvenating and means Spring is on the way. 

As for fun, we are beginning to think about Spring trips to visit our children. Jonah tried one bite of each chocolate in his Valentine candy. Last night the two of us had an interesting conversation about two different editions of Curious George Goes to the Beach. He read an older copy from his school library and noticed the cover was different from my paperback copy. Our Texas grandson turned twenty years old this week. I can't wait to go visit all of them.  



13 comments:

  1. I don't have any spinning guidance but I will say that color is beautiful. Here's hoping you get to see all the grands this spring. I like Jonah's approach to identifying chocolates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning! Your description of the bright blue sky and the cheerful song of a bird outside your window paints a lovely picture of a tranquil morning. It's heartwarming to hear about your time spent in your yard, tending to the pollinator garden and spinning yarn from Corriedale roving. It sounds like a peaceful and fulfilling activity, despite the challenges you faced with the yarn drifting apart. Your local book group sounds like a wonderful source of support and camaraderie, providing a space for lively discussions and heartfelt connections. And witnessing the migration of birds is always a breathtaking reminder of the natural cycle of renewal. Thank you for sharing these beautiful moments with us! By the way, I just posted a new blog entry, and I'd love for you to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having a book chat with your grandkids sounds like a lot of fun. One thing I miss about working in an elementary school is reading to the kids and having the kids read to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Upcoming visits with grandchildren to look forward to sounds like a lovely thing! Late yesterday afternoon as Fletch and I drove over to Colin's for dinner we saw a very large/long flock of geese flying overhead - trying to get into a V formation, but some were flying in the wrong direction! Colin has been seeing and hearing redwinged blackbirds when he walks - I am envious. I keep looking for them, but they have not appeared in our back yard yet. Soon, I hope. I so enjoy our "Read With Us" book group on line, but it must be so nice to have an "in-person" book club.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing beats a blue Nebraska sky! Your grandchildren are so cute. I know you are looking forward to a visit with them. Your book club sounds like a lot of fun and friendship. I hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your handspun is beautiful, though I am sorry to hear about your difficulties in plying. If it is pulling apart as you ply, then that indicates there wasn't enough spinning twist in it (or at least in that part). I cannot tell from looking at the finished yarn that there was any issue with it, though, so whatever you did to fix it was successful.

    We've had many signs of spring this week, but right now it's snowing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your handspun is amazing! I am in total awe of anyone who can spin!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read Murder Your Employer last month -- what a fun book! We are seeing our first goldfinches at the feeder. Some of them stay around all winter, but they are a much duller color and hard to identify. Now they just glow in the sunlight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your finished handspun is beautiful and such a lovely color. I love seeing geese… we have quite a few that winter here and it is fun to watch them, especially with their goslings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jane, your spinning is just wonderful. I hope the plans come together so you can see your grandchildren soon. They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The handspun is beautiful, Jane... I can't see any problems! And Sarah is right... your singles just need a bit more twist! If you have a smaller whorl that would help. You can treadle the same, the smaller whorl will add more twist to the single! (if you want more info, feel free to email me!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do love the blue you spun ... and I always admire the pretty quilted backgrounds and never remember to comment on them. Smiling at the spinning advice in the comments - I don't know what the words mean for spinning/plying, but I recognize helpful advice offered in a kind, nurturing voice. What a wonderful community! (and look at that SNOW!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. your spinning is so beautiful!! We are thinking about the traveling plans to see our kids as well.

    ReplyDelete