Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Shawls, Shoulders, and Spring

The March days are growing longer and this week's temperatures are considerably warmer in Nebraska. Yesterday, in solidarity with the local public school teachers and students on Spring Break, I sat on the deck in the sunshine and read "Old Mrs. Harris," a short story from a book of Willa Cather's collected short stories, articles, and essays. Reading early and less well known work by an author reminds me that all writers were once beginning writers.    

Last week I finished this shawl to give as a gift. The Red Robin Shawl pattern by Helen Stuart is well written. She includes a small spread sheet stating percentages for each section so the knitter can use up the entire skein of yarn. Once the blue shawl was blocking, I finished the pink raspberry shawl. When I cast on the pink shawl, I knit garter stitch rows until I had a multiple of stitches needed for a pattern repeat of eighteen stitches plus the center and edge stitches. Then I knit a feather and fan border because I enjoy knitting that pattern. My encapsulated (frozen) shoulder joint was healing but I needed the easy comfort knitting that I find in simple shawls. Although today's knitters and designers have updated shawls in interesting new ways, the little pink shawl is not one of the new fashion forward wraps. I think I it will join a few other sturdy shawls I use for keeping my shoulders warm during winter's cold.

After two months of physical therapy, the range of motion in my shoulder is near normal. I have been discharged from therapy with instructions to diligently stretch and strengthen the joint and surrounding muscles for at least two more months. I will be following the recommendations as well as taking frequent breaks and using good body mechanics while knitting as I don't want to repeat the experience. Besides, the warmer temperatures and sunshine are calling me to the garden. I want to be ready to pull weeds and thin perennials. Green shoots of crocuses and daffodils are just up above the ground. Spring is around the corner.



1 comment:

  1. your shawl is lovely and look at the sunshine you had while you took the photo! Ah :) I hope your shoulder keeps improving and that you never ever have trouble again.

    ReplyDelete