Saturday, October 10, 2015

Happy Autumn




Recently my husband and I drove up the Minnesota shore of Lake Superior. I kept thinking of the line from The Teddy Bear's Picnic, "If you go out in the woods today, you are in for a big surprise." We didn't see any bears but we had several picnics and found other surprises in the north woods of Minnesota. Autumn is my favorite season and traveling early in the season only improves the scenery. The leaves on deciduous trees were starting to turn colors. I loved the cooler temps and crisp air. I took a fleece jacket and was pleased to wear it.


Previously, when we visited Duluth, I considered it to be a northern outpost. This time we continued up the shore to Grand Marais, Minnesota. The banner strung across the main street proudly proclaims, "The Best Small Town in America." I might agree. Grand Marais is home to a thriving community of artists. My favorite artist's studio, complete with beautifully illustrated children's books, was that of Betsy Bowen. We stayed at the MacArthur House, a lovely B and B, and ate delicious dinners in small local restaurants. There wasn't a chain restaurant in town. One day we drove up to Grand Portage National Monument and hiked a short distance to Pigeon River along the Canadian Border.  On the return trip down the shore, we toured Split Rock Lighthouse. We might visit this area again.

My husband likes to drive so I logged plenty of knitting miles. I finished the Shallows Cowl and cast on a sock in some wild self-striping yarn by Desert Vista Dyeworks. Duluth has a great little yarn shop called Yarn Harbor. I bought a skein of Three Irish Girls fingering weight yarn because it is dyed locally in Superior, Wisconsin. The color, Bayfront, is about the color of the lake on a clear autumn day. I am not sure whether it will become socks or a shawl. I do know the stitches will carry a hint of autumn days in the North Woods.

In the past few days, the leaves on the birch in my front yard have begun to change. I'm off to walk around the neighborhood and watch autumn arrive. I hope you find time to enjoy October. Happy Autumn.







3 comments:

  1. Your Shallows cowl is beautiful. Perfect way to welcome Fall. Can't wait to hear what you knit with your Three Irish Girls yarn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful cowl!!! My husband likes to drive as well, so I get to daydream or knit :) You live in such a beautiful area! We lived in the UP of Michigan and it was quite breathtaking to live on one of the great lakes (superior). I recently was at lake Huron and again, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. me, too!! me, too!!! I love this time of year....and I don't even have all the gorgeous colour that you all get. What a great time to be traveling up north! Love the cowl.....and isn't souvenir yarn the best? (doesn't count as stash, you know!)

    ReplyDelete