Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Mid August

 Mid August and dusk falls a little earlier. The evening cicada chorus is less deafening than it was a few weeks ago. The bulk of the tomato harvest is canned or frozen but the plants still produce fruit. Likely I will freeze more but not have enough at one time to make canning worthwhile. After several beastly days of heat and humidity, this morning was cooler with a hint of autumn in the air. 

Last week we celebrated a virtual birthday with one of our grandsons. Micah requested a "Phillies" themed party with his family. My daughter sent Phillies cupcake toppers and wrappers, sunglasses, plates, napkins, and cups to us ahead of time. I made cupcakes and set our table. We put on our Phillies sunglasses and sang (via FaceTime) Happy Birthday to him with his family. We also had a bite of cupcake together. Our little party was the next best thing to being there in person. Micah had a very happy day. Now he is six and headed to kindergarten in a week or so. Where does the time go?

Linking with Kat and the Unravelers this week to talk about knitting and books. I might be doing some unraveling soon. I enjoy knitting on this sweater in the evenings. After I separated off the sleeve stitches and knit an inch, I tried the sweater on and it fits but - there is always a but in a tale of unraveling - when I went to the storage bin to pull out another skein for winding, I discovered only three remained. I thought I had four more. I checked the invoice that came with the yarn and sure enough I'd only ordered five for another sweater that didn't work out. I probably don't have enough yarn to finish the sweater so I cast on a pair of socks while I decide what to do.


I could knit down the body of the sweater and divide the remaining yarn between sleeves. Or I could see how much yarn it takes to knit one three-quarter length sleeve. The sweater has a garter stitch button/neck band and garter stitch takes a fair amount of yarn. I could order more yarn and hope the different dye lot isn't so different that I could alternate skeins throughout the rest of the sweater. This is not a tonal but a very solid color yarn and I don't want to create stripes.  Or I could cut my losses, rip out the sweater, and use the yarn for something else. After all this is just knitting and I won't be freeze if I don't finish this sweater. Here is another reason to enjoy scrappy projects: I rarely run out of scraps and when I do I just join another. I finished the knitting the scrappy shawl with scraps to spare. It needs to be washed and blocked.

I read the Ruth Galloway mystery, The Dark Angel. Ruth, an unabashed middle-aged archeologist and DCI Nelson feel like old friends. This book was more about the characters' stories and less about solving the mystery but it was an easy summer read. I am also reading Wade in the Water, by Tracy K. Smith, the current US poet laureate. In one section, the poems are composed of letters written by African American soldiers during/after the Civil War. They are beautiful and haunting. I love the way she let the words of the men stand as written. I can recommend Smith's short podcast episodes of "The Slowdown." Each day she comments about a poem and then reads it. Her voice is gorgeous and soothing. Her personal interpretations of each poem make me think differently.

I hope mid August finds you enjoying the sunshine and finding something to think about in a new way. 

8 comments:

  1. What a fun birthday party! I love that you were all together in the best way possible!

    I recently had that very same issue with yarn and a sweater - and Ravelry saved me! I found someone who had the same dye lot of yarn I was looking for! You might try that before you rip back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say about this post is ...............GO PHILLIES!

    Oh and ...............happy birthday Micah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you celebrated Micah's birthday virtually, truly a wonderful use of technology for a special six-year-old! That is a lovely sweater in a lovely color, so I hope you find a solution that you are happy with. You've got lots of options!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to Micah - what a fun celebration. Your latest project looks so nice, I hope you can find a solution that works for finishing it. I've really enjoyed the Elly Griffiths Ruth Galloway books. I'm on hold on Overdrive for the latest. They are quick, enjoyable reads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful way to celebrate a very special birthday at a distance! You have discovered so many clever and thoughtful ways to connect with your grandchildren across the miles. I'm taking notes -- in case I ever become a long-distance grandmother myself. :-)

    Your sweater looks lovely, and I hope you find a solution that works well for you. Personally, I hate the wondering-if-I-have-enough-yarn feeling. It happens a little too often for comfort for me -- and it always seems to suck some of the joy out of the project. (I've found that knitting faster doesn't work. . .) Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This happened to me - thought I had another skein but it was nowhere to be found. I also love that virtual birthday idea - very fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. my last sweater I HAD enough yarn and still ran out...it's a bummer for sure. Lovely knitting and I hope you magically find a skein that matches (it's fun to wish). Happy birthday at a distance to your grand son.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sweater yarn is lovely; have you decided yet what to do? Looked for the dye lot on line? Would one skein, if a different dye lot make that much difference?( a question from a true non-knitter). Loved the FaceTime birthday party; what fun and a precious memory. Thanks for the new poet...off to investigate!
    Cheers~

    ReplyDelete