Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Tender


In The Song of the Lark, Cather began a description of a winter day with, "The air was a tender blue-grey, the color on the doves that flew in and out of the white dove house . . ." Today's sky is more gray than tender but that might be my mood. Earlier, fog enveloped backyards in the neighborhood and then it was gone.

Rest in Peace
I planned a different post for Honore's first link-up on words but sometimes life marches right up and demands I pay attention to something else. Last week I replaced these winter shoe-boots purchased in the 1974. I was fresh from college and a first year teacher. I didn't have extra cash either. My only winter footwear consisted of a pair of navy dress boots. After my fashionable impractical boot was sucked off in playground snow for the third time, I bought these for around $40. I had little extra cash but was tired of cold wet feet. I have narrow feet that are hard to fit so I wear anything that fits for a long time. The foot bed in these boots had become very uncomfortable so I replaced them for considerably more than $40. They walked a lot of miles and fall into the category of "they don't make them like they used to."

I wish my back was as tough as these boots but it is not. Last week, I was tired of being cooped up and the sidewalks were still icy/slushy. So I put on my new footwear and scooped off the front sidewalk. I know better. Repeating a lifting/twisting motion, as in scooping and tossing slush is not good for my back. After a work-related injury years ago, my back has limits. If I exercise and stretch, I am mostly pain free. I know this but I chose to ignore it and so pulled a muscle in my upper back. 

I've spent several days icing a sore upper back while gingerly moving and stretching. Yesterday I read and rested. This afternoon, my back permitting, I hope to go for a short walk. Hey, I've got new winter walking shoes and just by accident, wool socks that match. 

Last night, I knit for an hour on an easy garter stitch shawl  and listened to the end of The Secrets of Wishtide, a light mystery. I needed entertaining so this mystery fit the bill. I thought the author repeated some phrases too many times but this is the first in a series. I enjoyed it enough I'll give the second one a try. 

Usually within a week or so, my back muscles return to what is normal for me. If not, I'll have to seek physical therapy. In the meantime, I am treating myself with tenderness. And so tender, as in easily hurt. I have a tender back and I would do well to tend it.

Take good care of yourself today.







  

14 comments:

  1. Ouch! So sorry to her about your back woes. I do hope you are feeling back to normal quickly and able to get out for a (at least a short) walk. Tender is such an interesting word to me - so many different connotations, and as I mentioned to you before, I really love Willa Cather's writing. I think this winter might be a good time to revisit a book or two of hers. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes, the best thing we can do is be tender with ourselves! Sending you healing wishes that you back is soon less tender than it currently is! XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to read that you are in pain from your back - sometimes things just happen despite our best intentions. Hoping that tender loving care from others and to yourself is helping to ease it, and that you can step out again soon with those very smart boots and socks. Thank-you for the introduction to Cather, whom I don't know - but I think I might like. Warm good wishes for a swift recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. praying for your speedy recovery! Backs are brutal when they act up. I go to the gym because of my back! Shoes are everything and like you I have narrow feet and have trouble getting shoes to fit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems to be human nature that we know what we need to do, yet ignore that at times. I know I am certainly guilty of that -- not stretching, staying up too late, eating the wrong things. I hope your sore back is just a gentle reminder of how you need to treat yourself and that tenderly is the key word.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mother would have said those 1974 boots 'don't owe you anything'. My dad would also have approved of their long life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope your back is much-improved by the time you read this comment! I, too, know what I "shouldn't do" to aggravate the old-and-worn parts of my body . . . but I don't always listen. Oh, well. I suppose that's human nature! I love that your old boots hung around on active duty for so long -- and I wish you many happy (dry) miles in your new boots. (I have a wool duffle coat that I purchased in college -- back in the late 70s. It still is in regular rotation in my closet, and I expect it to remain so for the rest of my life.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry you hurt yourself!!!!!! I was so proud of my husband. After 37 years he allowed a plow to clear our driveway! It is much better for his back. !! Well worth 40 bucks. I need boots too

    ReplyDelete
  9. well darn it, I'm so sorry about your back! I'm not sure that's the "tender" Cather had in mind, but it is fitting! and YAY for new boots AND matching socks! ...and feeling better enough to venture out for a walk. Take care of you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope your back is feeling better soon. Those new snow shoes look like good, hardy shoes. Hope you get many happy miles together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our backs are so important and so delicate, aren't they? I hope your rest and being good to your back result in it feeling better very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. O Jane, give yourself a lot of TLC! Enjoy those new boots and socks to match...
    Cheers~

    ReplyDelete
  13. So on the boots...shouldn't that be "Rest in piece"?

    ReplyDelete