Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Hello September

September blew in with a very welcome cool breeze. I wore a long sleeved cotton tee on our walk this morning. We had an early morning thunderstorm on Monday but could use more rain. The backyard still has big cracks in the ground. Today is the first day of school for my Connecticut grandchildren. Jonah starts kindergarten. The sky looked like rain so he wore his firefighter rain jacket. My Texas grandson started his senior year late in August. It is hard to believe he is a senior looking at colleges. Sometimes the days are long but the years are short.

The first day of school is a tender moment but this year feels especially tenuous. The Connecticut school district has a good Covid protocol, beginning with masks. The PTO provided drawstring bags for each child. Families add an extra mask, hand sanitizer, and a beach towel for outdoor breaks and lunch. These three boys have been learning at home since late February 2020. They packed their backpacks and were excited about school and seeing their friends. Their parents are taking a leap of faith with a heaping amount of courage. With my heart in my throat, I'm holding a good thought for ALL school children today. A Covid vaccine for children under twelve can't come soon enough. Norah is going to be lost without "the brothers" at home. I foresee sparkly nail polish on her nails by the end of the day. It is the one girly thing she enjoys. She would rather run the bases or ride her scooter than play with a doll and that is fine by all of us. 

Moving onto the knitting and Unraveled Wednesday with Kat and friends. This week I made good progress on Norah's sweater. I finally found the rhythm for this project so it is my evening knitting. Sometimes it just takes awhile. The back and forth stockinette is peaceful and I like the heathered color of the yarn. Last night I put stitches on waste yarn for the pockets. I'm using the pocket instructions from the Cricket pattern with a slight modification in stitch numbers. Fingers and needles are crossed in hopes that I figured this out correctly. 

I started on a new spinning project and these two singles are ready to be plied. I am sectioning off each color to spin in separate but graduated colors. I plan to use the gold yarn in one project and the gradient of blues in another. Time and spinning will tell. Spinning is teaching me to let go of expectations and see what happens. I let the fiber be what it wants to be. I'll decide on projects after creating the skeins. Honestly, it's about as wild as I get. 

Speaking of gold. I walk by these sunflowers. Seeing their bright blooms brings me joy. The honey bees love them. On hot sticky mornings, they were a landmark for the way home. Seeing them meant we were just a few blocks from home and a drink of water. 


Wishing you a little peace in this crazy upside down world. 

Ravelry Links

Norah's Sweater

Blue and Gold Polworth



 

9 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear you're experiencing cool breezes! We're inundated with rain from Ida and even some tornado warnings, but hopefully better weather will follow later in the week. I'm with you holding good thoughts for all school children. I watched school buses this morning and thought about the courage necessary for parents. Norah's sweater is lovely as is your spinning and those golden sunflowers. Happy September!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our weather has cooled somewhat here too. I worry about my grandchildren - most of whom are too young for the vaccine - Here in Utah and also Virginia. Our Covid rates at the school where I teach are climbing and few students are wearing masks. I love your knitting, and sunflowers are always a favorite for me. See you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandsons started in-person school August 5. so far so good and fingers and toes crossed. I hope we have decent weather for a few more months so the kids can get outside as much as possible. They are having a ball and I don't think anyone even notices the masks anymore they're so used to them by now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I send all the very best juju to your beautiful grandchildren for a school year filled with learning and fun! (And it's always so hard to believe . . . that that senior year is possible!!!) I hope the cooler weather stays, Jane, and that you get a little rain to keep everything growing. XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am feeling confident about my daughter's safety at school because they are still following the strict protocols that led to zero community spread last year, but I fear it's going to be bad in many places. School only just started here in the last week or so, and there are already several districts (with, as you would guess, no masking or optional masking) where hundreds of students are in quarantine after exposure. Our governor has issued an order requiring masks in all schools beginning Tuesday, so I hope that helps. I hope all your grandkids have a wonderful and safe year at school!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hoping safe schoo1ing is the way of the education dept these days.
    That sweater is awesome. Keep it up!
    Peace . I'm trying to a peace type day

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous group of grands you have!
    Our school district is trying to mandate vaccines for all staff. I hope that goes through because I'll feel a lot better about subbing that way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful grands you have! I too am hopeful for an approved vaccine for the under 12 set! It can't come soon enough. Your spinning this week... stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. today is a COOL day and I am ever so grateful. Wow, looking for colleges! Do you think he would look near you and then you could see him? that would be cool! I hope your little grands do okay with the school season, it's nice when the school is prepared.

    ReplyDelete