Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Deep Fall


On this cold morning, sun streams in the living room windows. The warmth is welcome. I moved from my desk to the love seat to enjoy the sunshine. Monday snow flurried but melted when it hit the ground. Right now that is a good thing. As of yesterday my husband is sporting an orthopedic boot to protect a partial tear in an achilles tendon. He has no idea how this happened but he won't be scooping snow anytime soon. If such an injury had to occur, the timing is good. The hoses and tomato cages are stored in the rafters of the shed. Early last week he mulched the leaves for compost. The bathroom project and bedroom painting is finished and we don't have any holiday travel plans. Phew. As we say, "it is always something" and "it could be worse." We may know more after he sees an orthopedist next Tuesday.

So this Wednesday, I link with Kat and the Unravelers. I am grateful for knitting, spinning, and stitching that keep me company on these cold days. Monday evening I finished this little piece for the coffee table in time for the Thanksgiving season. I used materials on hand, only purchasing one or two skeins of embroidery floss. Of course, once upon a time I bought the fabric and the batting and most of the floss. Still, it's nice to use what's on hand. I pieced some coordinating scraps together for the backing, something I often do. 


Tuesday I finished Norah's scarf with about 2.5 inches of yarn to spare. I wanted it to be as long as possible with one skein and succeeded. The yarn is superwash merino so I plan to wash it and stretch it a little to add some length. With that project finished, I cast on mittens for Emmett. The yarn in his school colors was leftover from the last mitten/hat set I made him. Micah requested mittens and Jonah, a scarf. I am waiting on some KnitPicks Swish to arrive for those projects. 


I also knit a few rows on this languishing shawl. Do you remember it? I barely do. Anyway, one night when I couldn't knit any more garter stitch, I ripped out previously added stripes, and knit on the lace section. The lace pattern is fun to knit. Also in the WIP list is the Guernsey Wrap Scarf I began last winter. The yarn was a gift of an Advent Set and would be fun to work on in December but first the mittens and another scarf.  


Currently I'm reading Four Souls by Louise Erdrich. This book was on my bookshelf but I hadn't read it. Erdrich's writing and storytelling is very rich. She revisits characters and develops their stories across multiple novels. Four Souls is mostly the story of Fleur or Four Souls, a Native American woman. It is set sometime after World War One, maybe the late 1920's. At the same time, I'm reading The Marriage Portrait by Maggie O'Farrell. This story is set in the 1500's. Both of these novels feature women whose lives are limited by cultural and societal expectations. It's interesting to consider the ways in which these characters exercise agency in their lives. It's an odd pairing of novels but good reading. 

This afternoon I plan to grocery shop. Yesterday when I drove past the grocery store where I shop, the parking lot was full. It seems early for Thanksgiving shoppers but perhaps the early bird gets the worm - or the last can of pumpkin. Last time I shopped flour was in short supply. I found it at a store owned by different company. These are curious times. Stay warm and enjoy wearing all the wool.  

Ravelry Links



8 comments:

  1. Your stitched and quilted piece is just the sweetest Jane. So perfect for November and Thanksgiving (really perfect for October too). Norah's scarf is so colorful and I just love that your grandchildren (even the boys) request hand knit goods. I'll keep your husband in my thoughts and prayers and hope his healing can be quick and easy. I started The Marriage Portrait last night and so far (only 2 chapters in) I am enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like your fall quilted piece. It always makes me feel good to use what I've got. (I'm using some sock yarn from my stash and have been busy patting myself on the back!) Norah will be delighted with her scarf and that deep green is also lovely. Grocery shopping is always an adventure; here we're short on evaporated milk and cranberries. Best wishes to your husband and I hope that the orthopedist has good news. It is always something and I hope this something can be easily dealt with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Thanksgiving stitching is beautiful. I love the pattern on the pumpkins.

    It's crazy what you can and cannot find at the grocery store. I wanted some Maxwell House Instant coffee. None at our usual store. Steve got it at the more "gourmet" grocer and I'm betting it was a little pricier there. I might have to start drinking Folgers. LOL

    The projects all look great. You will have warm family members this Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love your stitched and quilted piece! It's something simple that adds such a lovely seasonal mood. Norah's scarf is also lovely -- she is going to love the bright colors!

    I am very thankful that I do not have to shop for Thanksgiving. My mother is cooking most of the dishes as usual; I am responsible for pumpkin muffins (we always have them on the table alongside dinner rolls) and an apple cranberry cake. I will probably need more flour, but I thought ahead and bought canned pumpkin the last time I was at Costco.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your sweet, stitched and quilted piece, Jane. It's a lovely way to share the season, and I'll bet it makes you smile every time you see it. Your handknit gifts for your grandchildren are very special, and I'm sure they'll feel your love when they wear them. I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's injury. You're right . . . it IS always something. I hope he heals quickly -- and comfortably. XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. That quilted piece is really fun, Jane! But I absolutely love Nora's scarf! She will love that, I am sure!

    I hope your husband's injury is soon healed! XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Thanksgiving quilted piece is really nice for your table. Hope you enjoy the holiday! Really nice projects cast on for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Norah is going to love her scarf!! the colors are delightful. I've been knitting for me this week and it's been kind of relaxing and nice. Don't worry though I'm thinking of gift knitting yet again...

    ReplyDelete