Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Snow Day

Hello on this dark day of wintry mix. The birch outside my window looks like a Christmas card with downy woodpecker, chickadee, white and red breasted nuthatches, cardinals, blue jay, and house finches fueling up for this wet day. The cardinals have ice crystals on their tails but don't seem to shake them off. The top of the feeder is coated with ice and the wintry mix splats against the window. A cardinal perched on the window ledge with the red crest just visible at the bottom of the window. To heck with dust and paperwork, I declare this a snow day. I hope we get the moisture predicted. I'd love to see some snow but a freezing rain is falling. 

Today is Unraveled Wednesday with Kat and and friends. I'm humming along on the gray sweater. I knit the third stripe, separated the sleeves from the body, and knit another two inches. Over the weekend I arrived at the moment of truth, I tried it on and it fits. So now it's gray stockinette round and round. In today's stormy light, the sweater looks even darker gray. It's pretty but I'm going to need a progress keeper on the sweater and some color in another piece of knitting. 

I finished the first sock of the Winter Solstice pair and cast on the second one. Whether my book group meets in person or on Zoom this evening (depends on the weather) I hope to make some progress down the leg of this sock during the discussion. 

I plied the second skein of the Greenwood Fiberarts BFL. Now I have two generous bouncy skeins for a future project. The skeins are full of possibilities. 

I am reading Poet Warrior by Joy Harjo. This second memoir by Harjo is part poetry and part prose. I am about a third of the way into this beautiful book. Harjo's writing is lyrical and brave. She doesn't shy away from the difficult events of her early life. Her insight into relationships and the story of her growing up to become poet makes for thoughtful reading. I am reading slowly in order to savor the book. I am also reading When the Apricots Bloom by Gina Wilkinson. This story set in Iraq is suspenseful in a way that is almost too real. Three women, living in Baghdad are navigating friendship while keeping their families safe. It's a chilling story of our time and I can't read it before bed. I almost gave up but descriptions of Iraq when the country was more stable keep me going. This afternoon I may skip to the end to check on the characters and then decide whether to read the entire book. Every now and then I do this. Have you ever skipped to the end?

I am off to make a grocery list for tomorrow and then tuck in with my knitting. I hope to avoid baking a warm pan of something but I fear that resistance is futile. An outdoor walk would be wet and the sidewalks slick so I'll be pulling up a yoga video or two. Stay warm and dry this week. Happy reading and making.

Ravelry Links

Striped Pullover

Winter Solstice Socks


12 comments:

  1. beautiful knitting! it's quite dreary here as well. We had two sunny days earlier this week which filled my heart. I walk daily and that helps, I also do yoga a few times a week. I am trying to finish a scarf this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those Winter Solstice socks. There is just something fun about stripey socks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have that Jo Harjo book on my list too

    ReplyDelete
  4. You paint such a cozy picture at your window with the colorful birds on a gray-toned landscape and cozy knitting. I hope you did succumb to the temptation to bake (what did you make?)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been snowy, rainy and very slick when walking here too. I love your sweater. You always read such interesting sounding things. I am wondering where you find your reading ideas. Enjoy the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love your description of the weather and the birds visiting your feeder. I hope you get some snow; freezing rain and wintry mix just seem like a punishment from winter. I like your sweater and you've spun lots of lovely bright color. Stay warm and safe and maybe enjoy a pan of pan of something warm and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've got a lot of rain here today, switching over to snow/mix tomorrow. I'm trying to decide if I want to put on all my gear and deal with being wet to get my walk in or if I want to skip it and do an aerobic workout at home (I still need to get my steps in!). I am glad to hear your positive words about Poet Warrior; I bought a hardback last year (or maybe the year before) when Barnes & Noble had their 50% off sale on hardbacks, but it's been sitting on my shelf ever since. Your handspun is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The rain is dismal and our temps are climbing well into the 50's today. I so enjoyed Poet Warrior... Harjo shares wisdom you can apply to your own life.

    Your knitting, as always, is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your socks and your sweater. That shade of grey (dark) is kind of what I am leaning towards for my Planetary sweater...but it will be fingering weight and I am fearful of it feeling like a slog! Love your description of the birch and your feeder. I could spend hours (and sometimes I do) just watching birds. I hope your weather wasn't too awful. What did you bake??

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a frequent skipper-to-the-ender myself . . . especially if I can't quite decide whether or not to continue with a book. ;-) I love your sweater, Jane. The subtle striping in the yoke is beautiful with the gray. It's going to be so lovely! And count me among the happy bird watchers . . . year round.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I try not but sometimes the need to see how it ends (and whether it’s worth reading to the end) is just too great. More often than not the quick look satisfies my curiosity and I close the book forever.
    It’s probably normal size but that looks like an awfully long foot on your sock…. I know a few football fans here in Melbourne who wouldn’t mind having them because of the colours

    ReplyDelete
  12. I covet your grey sweater! If I didn't have sweater quantities for 3 or 4 garments already, not to mention 2 sweaters OTN, I would cast on for one of yours Right.This.Minute. Also, just FYI, keep a close eye on your blue handspun. I might snatch it out of your hands :-)

    ReplyDelete