Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Wrapping up March

Hello there. I write this post on an overcast chilly morning. For the record, the juncos have not left our area. Just this morning, two came to the front feeder. Earlier three perched on the deck railing. This past Sunday we woke to a half inch of snow. However the sun came out and it was gone by late afternoon. I can live with that kind of March snow. My brother in Billings, Montana reported a heavy wet 6 - 8 inches. Bah Humbug.  

Today is Unvaveled Wednesday with Kat and company. My knitting looks much the same as it did last week. I knit another section on the purple shawl and got the hitchhiker back on track. I finished the first sock of a pair so that is visible progress. Sunday I cast on the second sock. 

I am spinning singles from two 4 ounce braids of the same blue-gray BFL fiber. The colors resemble shades of a white breasted nuthatch. In some light it looks gray and in other light it looks blue. I split the braids horizontally by light and dark shades. Then I divided the colors so I could spin two bobbins in the same sequence. Currently I am spinning singles of light colors. Then I'll spin singles of the darker shades on different bobbins. I hope to get two skeins that can be used as one gradient. As I learn more about what to expect when spinning, I am often delighted with unexpected results. As Ada Limón wrote in the poem, "Give Me This" "Why am I not allowed delight?" 

My reading is a little scattered perhaps because these books are so different from each other. My local group is reading the fantasy/allegory Piranesi by Susanna Clarke. I never read fantasy but am enjoying the beginning of the story. No doubt I'm missing the symbolism but decided not to fret and just read for awhile to get a feel for the book. I look forward to our discussion. Because the library hold came in, I am reading Shrines of Gaiety by Kate Atkinson. Atkinson is a witty writer so her asides and comments about the characters are fun to read. The story begins in 1926 amidst the mayhem of the roaring twenties in London. The cast of characters is large and the nightclub life is gritty. 

During chores and while making, I listen to Booth by Karen Joy Fowler. The description of the country coming apart before the Civil War feels eerily familiar. The story is fascinating and I will listen to the end.  In my opinion, this novel could have been better edited. With four hours left, I have heard about one too many crackling fires and curly-haired lads. I will forever associate the socks in the photo with this audiobook. Funny how that sometimes happen. 

March, in spite of gray skies, snow, and wintry mix has flown. April will be most welcome.

Ravelry Link

Raspberry Cordial Socks 

  

10 comments:

  1. It's always interesting to hear about your weather because that means we'll probably be getting some variant of it in a day or two. I do like your white-breasted nuthatch spinning and look forward to seeing your results. I also like the raspberry cordial socks (and wouldn't say no to a small glass of raspberry cordial). I've thought about reading Booth, but now I'm not sure I wouldn't laugh at all the crackling fires and curly-haired lads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nuthatches are some of my favorite birds (of course, I have many favorites). We are still seeing juncos around here too, but today has been gorgeous and I got out for a wonderful walk. I have thought of reading Booth, but after making it through "Love Songs" I think I will wait for a book that needs better editing! I do have Shrines of Gaiety on my TBR list. Glad to read that you are feeling delight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always read such interesting things. I am getting ready to teach The Great Gatsby (again) after spring break, so maybe I should read Shrines of Gaiety to get me in the mood. Glad to hear that things are going well and that you are getting some knitting done. See you again soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spinning fascinates me, but I’ve never tried it. I just like to admire the work of those who do spin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some authors really do get stuck with certain descriptions don't they. That's a new Kate Atkinson to me, I shall have to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh there’s an awful lot of socks being knit out there in blogland.
    Yours is a very warm looking pinkish red….or something like that. I think you did tell us the correct colour but it’s slipped my memory (nicer way than saying I forgot 😊)
    I’ve read several Kate Atkinson but not that one so I’ll be checking my library catalogue in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found Piranesi to be a weird but entertaining book. I'm sure it will make for an interesting discussion! I'm really looking forward to seeing the results of your current spin. It should be a lovely gradient.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo! I do love your nuthatch inspired spinning as well! I enjoyed Piranesi... it certainly is a perfect book to discuss!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read Shrines of Gaiety twice - first with my ears, and then with my eyes. I enjoyed the eyes experience more because of all those asides. Oh my, the writing just sparkles! One of my reading buddies wondered if this might be a setup for a new series and I sure hope it is! Sending SPRING wishes your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice socks on the needles! I slacked off with knitting while we were visiting our grandson. Now I am ready to knit up a storm.

    ReplyDelete