Wednesday, April 26, 2023

April Skies

Light in the April skies is beautiful. As I walk these cool Spring days, I revel in the sky and the flowering trees. The Red Buds, Ornamental Pears, and others seem extra lush this year. I enjoy the little wild violets popping up in yards. This week I cleaned out the herb garden and am working on the perennial flower strip along the fence. I love 60 degree temperatures. I am pacing myself to take care of my back but it is wonderful to be scratching around in the green plants. My husband, bless his heart and knees, dug up a new space, a small oval bed that I hope to plant as a pollinator garden. 

Today is Unraveled Wednesday with Kat and other makers. It's been a finishing sort of week for me. I love the soft blush pink color with subtle tonality of this hitchhiker. I added some eyelet rows for interest. The simple classic design is so satisfying. I'm almost sorry it's finished.

I also finished this hat. I knit it to improve the tension in my colorwork. There are a few places where the red stitches are a little loose but they aren't terribly noticeable. It looks nice and is plenty warm so I plan to donate it. I am not crazy about the decreases in this pattern. Most of them are done by slipping a previous knit stitch over the two stitches slipped together. About three rounds in, I slipped the two stitches one at a time instead of together and came up with a neater decrease. Of course your mileage may differ from mine. 


I didn't use up all of the partial skeins so I cast on another child size hat. I plan to use some of colorwork pattern and my usual swirl-type decreases. 


Currently, I am rereading 
The Island of Missing Trees by Elif Shafak as it is this month's selection in my local book group. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the novel so this time I have a hard copy. One member sent a link to an NPR interview with the author. She mentioned she chose a tree as a narrator because she wanted a neutral voice that would avoid the tribalism of the Greek and Turkish Cypriots. I find this Romeo and Juliet story, the contrasts between the male and female main characters, and the fig tree as narrator charming. I finished Fresh Water for Flowers and loved the elegant unfolding of the main character. Violette's life is full of sorrow but with support of two friends, one male and one female, she becomes a strong gentle soul. She also has a knack for understanding the quirky people who are part of her life as a cemetery keeper. I found this to be a peaceful read. 

And here we are with only a few days left in April. I plan to visit through a local nursery or two this afternoon. I hope the rest of the week treats you well. 

Ravelry Links

Spring Hitchhiker

Slouch Colorwork Hat

11 comments:

  1. Congrats on finishing your hat and your shawl! I love both. I hope you find some lovely plants on your nursery trip. I am anxious to start my gardening for the year, but we have been having freeze warnings this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard tro believe we are at the end of April! Your Hitchhiker is gorgeous - such a soft and soothing color. We've put some new plants in and then had to cover them the other night...but always fun to get new plantings. Your colorwork looks so nice to me. I have yarn out (and a needle) for a hat in two colors of Lopi, but I always start something else instead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in hat knitting mode -- the easy slouch hat looks like a good one for my next hat. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Hitchiker is such a lovely color and it looks absolutely beautiful with just the right number of eyelet rows. I'm almost sorry it's done because that means I won't see it featured here anymore. But I'm betting you'll have more lovely knitting on the needles, like another colorwork hat. Enjoy your spring days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hat looks great. I found that slipping the stitches individually worked better too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy that you were pleased by Fresh Water for Flowers! It's just a great story. And I'm still loving that hitchhiker - the color is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful shawl. The hat is great - so nice of you to donate it. That will keep someone nice and warm in the next Nebraska winter. So glad that you are having a nice spring. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That shawl is gorgeous, Jane! The color... perfect! And your colorwork practice hat... too cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your knitting is so nice. I bet you will get a lot of wear out of the beautiful shawl. I love your hat. In my area, it would be considered classic Buffalo Bills colors and everyone would want to wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spring weather gives us time to breathe in all the fresh air and new growth smells. I love 60° days, too. The Hitchhiker is certainly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm really excited to see what you put in your new pollinator garden! How exciting! I loved Fresh Water for Flowers (as you already know), as well as The Island of Missing Trees. I think the tree-as-narrator works brilliantly! Lovely knitting, too. XO

    ReplyDelete