Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Summer Bouquets


Hello. High summer arrives with extreme heat, humidity, summer squash, and cosmos. I pickled another batch of cucumbers, filling all jars designated for pickles. In May, I planted cosmos seeds, both the orange and mauve/white varieties in the center of the pollinator garden. I should have thinned them. I did chop off a few stalks to give the butterfly bush room to bloom but the tall cosmos are blooming like crazy. A few monarchs and one swallowtail have floated by but the buzz and hum of bees is going strong. Hooray for the bees. The July rainfall was a godsend. However, the sweet temperate days of rain and high eighties have come to a screeching halt. The heat dome, with 100 degree days, has extended to our locale.

Wednesday is the day for linking with Kat and the Unravelers. A few weeks ago, Norah requested a pink rainbow sweater with buttons. While I waited for the yarn to arrive, I found the Anker's Jacket pattern. Originally, I thought I'd put two colors in each section of the yoke ribbing but changing colors in the middle of ribbing doesn't make a clean line. Sometimes that look is charming but I didn't like it in this pattern. My plan is to add stripes of different colors at the edge of the sleeves and the body for more rainbows. 

When I showed the yoke to Norah yesterday, she reminded me she wants "all the colors." If you remember I knit a "rainbow" scarf for her last winter out of a brightly variegated yarn that she loved. I thought combining colors would suggest a rainbow but this yoke may not be what she has in mind. I knew this project would involve trial and error and I want to knit a sweater she will wear. I could use a top down raglan pattern and knit a more traditional rainbow in the yoke or reknit this yoke in different colors. Perhaps I'll be unraveling  later this week. 

I put a few more rows on this shawl of leftovers. I love the yarn. I was knitting this on our recent road trip and added a row of eyelets because it was the end of a day in the car. I need to count garter ridges and decide how to add other rows of eyelets. 

I started a new spinning project this last week. The Shetland fiber from Fibernymph Dye Works came unbraided and separated by color. That packaging makes it less compacted and very easy to spin. I'll have to see what kind of yarn I spin but I think this might be a great colorwork project. 

I'm currently reading After Sappho by Selby Wynn Schwartz. Although Goodreads classifies it is historical fiction, this book is not typical historical fiction. The structure echoes both the style of Virginia Woolf and the extant fragments from the woman poet Sappho. By writing in short vignettes, the author focuses on times when women artists, writers, actresses, and lesbians exercised agency in their lives. The sections move between characters as well as time and place. Short musings on lines written by Sappho are interspersed throughout the chapters. This book might not be for everyone but I am enjoying it. It makes me think and I have learned more about these strong women, a few I never knew existed. The writing although lyrical is concise. Schwartz cuts to the chase by writing: "What did we want? To begin with, we wanted what half the population had got just by being born." It's a summer reading adventure for me. 

I hope your week is going well. Stay cool. 


Ravelry Links

Shawl of Leftovers

Norah's Rainbow Sweater

 


I

10 comments:

  1. The sweater is something I would wear (though this one certainly wouldn't fit me), and I hope your granddaughter likes it! I hope you enjoy spinning the fiber from Lisa. I always find hers very easy to spin, so she clearly knows how to dye it well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you made the last row of a color stockinette, would that help with the unattractive jogs? Then start ribbing the next color. It looks cute with a rainbow neck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you and Norah arrive at a sweater with "all the colors"! Your spinning fiber is lovely and looks like a bouquet in itself. Tomorrow is pickle day for me, but I'm afraid I won't have lovely cosmos and zinnia bouquets to cheer me on in the hot kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it's hard to fulfill "special order" knitting -- but always fun to give it a go! I'll bet you'll be able to come up with the perfect "all-the-colors" rainbow sweater for Norah. (And I can't wait to see it!) Your cosmos are so charming, Jane. I just love them in a late summer garden. XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this discussion between maker and wearer... what a delightful peek into her ideas coming to life! (and I hope for no unraveling!)

    That spinning fiber is lovely! The colors are so muted... it looks to be a delight to spin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooohh, I LOVED After Sappho so much (I remember googling a lot about language - genitive case especially - and of course the women). Good luck with the sweater - I think the pattern is fine, but I can see it's not a rainbow (and what is a "pink rainbow"?). sigh. kids are so literal, aren't they? Glad you're seeing bees and the occasional butterfly - the garden is doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how that sweater looks but can appreciate wanting to knit something that your granddaughter will actually wear. Good luck with your trial and error! Enjoy your bees, butterflies, and flowers!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hopefully by now Norah has provided clearer instructions or you’re going to be tearing your hair out trying to fathom what she actually has in mind. It wouldn’t be that she means - back front/s sleeves all in different colours?
    Tiny ‘posies’ always bring a smile to my face. Enjoy your summer days

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the fun colors on the knitting and the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty bouquets with your jars of pickles in the background. I think the sweater start looks wonderful...but I'm not Norah. Your new fiber for spinning is gorgeous and I like your shawl of leftovers - the colors are very soothing to me.

    ReplyDelete