Wednesday, September 13, 2023

September Color


Hello Gentle Readers. This week the days are cooler, the sun sets earlier, and neighborhood flowers send out the last blooms of summer. In our yard, I tend zinnias, mostly pink this year, cosmos, black-eyed susans, and sweet pea blossoms. Most days I walk by a big patch of sunflowers and a few bright magenta morning glory blooms trailing over a fence. I am soaking up all the bright colors of September. Come next February, I'll crave all of this summer color. I don't know about you but just before summer gives way to autumn or winter to spring, I feel restless. Is it the end of a season, the uncertainty of what's to come, a desire for change, the sense of time passing or some other combination that creates this feeling? It's hard to know but by now the feeling is familiar.  


No matter, this is Wednesday and the day to post about knitting and reading. Norah's sweater, with all the ends woven in, is drying on the blocking mats. It's a good thing I don't mind weaving in ends. When it is dry, I'll pick up stitches and knit the buttonbands. I'm keeping up with the HusKAL hosted by a local yarn shop, Knit Paper Scissors. This week's section was only twelve rows but added in the third and fourth colors. It is fun to see them together. So far, so good. Because the next pattern section won't drop until Friday and I'm a little tired of my current sock, I cast on a hat from stash yarn. I can't remember when I last knit with Aran weight yarn. I like the colors and texture of the yarn but I can't knit on it very long before my right arm and shoulder tell me to stop. So a few rows at a time. Last night I looked around for another project, including a shawl WIP, but haven't landed on anything.


I listened to The Other Einstein, a work of historical fiction by Marie Benedict. The story of Albert Einstein's first wife, is an an old infuriating story of a woman not recognized for her intellect and contributions. The story was interesting and the writing average. Otherwise, I've had a hard time settling into a book. I gave up on Pieces of the Plains and realize why I didn't finish it the first time. The essays are disjointed and several have to do with geology, not my favorite reading topic. I'm going to donate that book and several others. A library hold, a new biography of Phillis Wheatley, came in yesterday and a copy of Foster is in transit. Once the second book arrives at my branch library, I'll pick them up.  

Monday I began weeding and cleaning up my garden beds. It's a process. I leave a lot of foliage as winter cover and food for birds but the weeds need to be pulled. This summer's heat took a toll on some perennials while the weeds and ground cover thrived. This is a job to be done over several weeks and it is nice to be outdoors in warm but not searing temperatures. 

I wish you well and happy September moments. 

Ravelry links

HusKAL Wrap

Noro Swirl Hat


9 comments:

  1. Hi Jane, I am familiar with that restless feeling at the change of seasons. All last week I had a difficult time doing anything that I usually enjoy (reading, knitting, stitching) - nothing appealed. I have pulled two books from my bookcase to take on vacation and I have packed both knitting and stitching projects. Hopefully I will be inspired once on the road! The temps have cooled here, though it still feels sticky. I have seen some trees that are turning already to their fall colors - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about you, but I feel a certain urgency around this time of year to spend as much time outside as I can because I know the months are coming when I'll be shut up inside (I'll still go out in the cold, of course, but it's not like I can comfortably sit outside in it like I can now). I am enjoying the flowers that are still blooming in my garden as I think about fall cleanup. We have quite a few butternut squash fruits ripening that we'll be able to enjoy this fall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you named that nebulous restlessness that I've been feeling also. I attribute mine to (not so patiently) waiting for cool, crisp weather. I am thankful that we don't have searing temperatures, but we do have a front sitting right over our area, so the humidity is higher than the temperature. I love your brightly colored magenta morning glories and thank you for sharing them. I also like all the colors in both your wrap and hat and wish you peaceful knitting and end-weaving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your cowl - the colors are so pretty (and so un-Huskery ;-) The volume of Jeffers' poetry inspired by Phillis Wheatley is ready for me to pick up at the library; how cool to read there's a new Wheatley biography, too. and happy sigh. the colors of early fall are my favorites ... deep pinks, gold, purple, and some greens and browns. It inspires me to knit more colorwork!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally understand that seasonal feeling of restlessness, Jane. I think it happens even more for me in the fall, as I know winter is coming, and that's never much fun. I'm really looking forward to seeing Norah's rainbow cardigan! XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, likewise, understand that seasonal feeling of restlessness... disquiet... the feeling of waiting for something. I like your hat and I am eager to see Norah's cardigan! (and that cowl is really fun!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I love the progress on your HusKAL. I feel the restlessness also. I love the routines that come back to our house with Fall. Can't wait to see knitting updates next week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I purchased the book, The Other Einstein, at a thrift store this summer, so I was glad to hear your thoughts about it. I love your projects and I am glad that you are finally enjoying cooler days. Have a good weekend. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. boy did the weather shift while I was away in Indiana, the mornings are so cold (yay!) and the sting of heat and humidity are gone, may it continue. Lovely knitting :)

    ReplyDelete