Friday, October 13, 2023

It's Friday.

The last bouquets of summer

Hello Gentle Readers. On this Friday, the sky is overcast, the temperature is in the mid-60's, and the trees begin to show muted fall colors. I wonder if the heat and drought will make for less vibrant colors. Although I see a few vivid yellow birch leaves outside my window. Earlier a Cooper's Hawk created quite a kerfluffle in the back yards but the blue jays put out the warning call. 

Thinking. As daylight hours decrease, I am thinking about how to maintain my step count. During the spring and summer evenings, I often tend the yard and garden or we take a short evening stroll. These steps add to my one long daily walk. Now that the outdoors is pitch dark by 7:15 p.m., I might invest in some sort of light and/or reflective gear. With a phone, I feel safe in the early evening but I worry about tripping on uneven sidewalk. I have reported the locations to the city. As of last summer, they were over three years behind on maintenance. I know such thoughts are a luxury that others in the world do not have but I won't be useful to anyone if I don't keep moving. 

Grateful. We had plans this past week to visit our daughter and family in Connecticut until my husband injured his foot. An x-ray showed no broken bones but some soft tissue damage that makes walking painful. His foot is slowing improving but we postponed our trip. With one phone call, I transfered our airline tickets to next month. I was also able to transfer the airport parking reservation. At my son's advice, I book directly through the airlines. I am grateful for the ease and the transfer.

Inspired. I continue to be inspired by multiple perspectives. The other day I saw the underside of a flicker high up in the birch. As he flexed his wings, I saw some vibrant yellow markings and the structural detail under the wing. Flickers are quirky birds and I get a kick out of their gait when they are on the ground but this view was beautiful and completely different. 

In another instance of multiple perspectives, I enjoyed the last chapter of The Odyssey of Phillis Wheatley. The author discussed the many ways her life has been portrayed in books, poetry, and even film. By examining the context in both Boston and London between 1767 - 1784, Waldstreicher establishes Wheatley as an intellectual genius who used her talents to further the cause of freedom for Africans who were enslaved. His scrupulous documentation explains how American slavery was part of the political machinations of the American Revolution. The perspective was different from anything I learned in school. (I promise I won't write about this book again but it was a powerful read for me.) 

Fun. Jonah and Kate called while working in the kitchen. Jonah was making cranberry bread. He showed me how to crack eggs and measure 3/4 c. of orange juice as he related what he learned about the cultivation and harvest of cranberries. He had Kate cut a berry in half to show me the air pockets that allow the berries to float. They were following the recipe from the picture book, Cranberry Thanksgiving and had ordered a copy of Cranberry Christmas to give to the teacher along with a loaf of bread. He was also going to give a loaf to the bookstore lady who ordered the book for him. Jonah is the guy who loves gardening and landscaping. He also has a generous heart.


I finished Norah's polka dot hat and knit bright pink toes on these socks. They were languishing in a bag and I'd almost forgotten about them. In a happy accident, they sort of matched this pair of pajama pants. 


I hope you have a nice weekend. I'm thinking a pot of soup is in order this fall evening. Happy Friday.

11 comments:

  1. After reading the news, your post was a breath of fresh air and hope. I'm sorry your husband injured his foot, but I'm glad that it wasn't more serious and that your plans could be delayed easily. Something nice to look forward to! I may need to knit myself a hat as cheerful as Norah's or maybe happy pink toes on some socks will do. It never dawned on me to question how and why cranberries float, so thanks to you and Jonah for that bit of information!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your Jonah story - what a wonderful guy he is! And pink toes for the win - they look great. Sorry about postponing your trip, but glad your husband's injury is no worse and that you could re-schedule your trip. Fun awaits you! We heard crows chasing a hawk (and then saw them all) this afternoon as we sat out on the patio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jonah is a good guy for sure. Hope your DH's foot feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (Having another try at leaving a comment. Don’t know where they go but they aren’t landing on your blog)
    My ‘learn something new each day’ has just been realised thanks to Jonah. I always thought they grew in water but after a little look online discovered (and correct me if I’m wrong) the paddocks are flooded so the floating fruit can be harvested.
    Love Norah’s beanie - can you just see the smiles when she’s wearing it and the cardigan telling everyone ‘my gran made these’.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear about your husband's injury but am glad it's not serious and you were able to reschedule your trip without too much trouble. The finished knits look wonderful -- those socks and the PJ pants are a perfect match! I love hearing about your conversation with your grandkids. Technology that enables us to have such chats is a wonderful thing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look so cozy in that last picture. I love Norah's hat and those final bouquets -- I am already looking forward to next spring's flowers and have vowed to be a better gardener next year ;)

    I'm so glad you were able to change your travel plans so easily. What a relief!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the bright pops of color in your knitting! All so fun! I hope you can figure out a way to get out and walk safely. Hope your hubby feels better soon. I'm glad you were able to figure out a good solution to see the kids in November.

    ReplyDelete
  8. be careful with the walking in the dark, I am accident prone in broad daylight and need to watch where I'm going. I love how technology connects us to the kids and grands, what a wonderful invention!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been quiet here in blog-land for the last few days; just trying to find some peace from the bad news pouring forth. Your post - with cheerful knitting and stories about cranberries - was just the balm I needed. Thank you. I have used a (highly unattractive but very effective) headlamp for evening walks for a long, long time. They work well to see the terrain ahead. I also recommend flashing lights that you can attach to your jacket (maybe one in front and one in back) so you are visible to others. XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. TGIF!! Dittoing Kym's recommendation for the lights ... Lucy is fine to stay close to home in the evenings, but our morning walks are now totally dark - I wear a light on my right arm and one on my hand that works like a flashlight, too.

    ReplyDelete