Thursday, May 30, 2024

May's End

Hello Gentle Readers. Here we are at the end of May with summer knocking on the door. Another storm blew through last week taking several large limbs from the Japanese Lilac Tree in our yard. The tree is in the middle of the backyard, away from the house so the limbs fell onto the yard. Lance cut up all the debris and I helped carry it up to the side of the house. Otherwise these May days are just right for morning coffee and evening stitching on the deck. The blue flax, penstemon, and blue salvia bloom in the pollinator garden. The tomatoes are planted, the cucumbers are up, and I have enough oregano to supply an Italian restaurant. 

I began writing this post yesterday on Unraveled Wednesday with Kat and friends. Life happened and so I will finish it today. A week or so ago I completed this hat. The background is a commercial yarn while the color work is from hand-spun Shetland. The yarns knit up nicely together and the hat fits and feels great.  

I've made some progress on this shawl, knit in another combination of hand-spun and some unknown skein of commercial yarn in the deep periwinkle. The solid periwinkle was in various sized balls so I used up smaller bits first, letting the yardage determine the number of rows. I've also increased the garter stitch ridges in between the eyelet rows. I'm playing with the pattern and enjoying the process.

I cast on a pair of ribbed socks. This yarn comes under the "what was I thinking when I bought this" category. It's rather pink. The colorway name, Red Buds and Cherry Blossoms, seemed appropriate for Spring knitting.

As for reading, I finished The Lost Flock by Jane Cooper. This nonfiction work is the author's late in life adventure of becoming a shepherdess of the rare Scottish Boreray sheep. Much of her story is fascinating. I admire Cooper and her husband for their tenacity and desire to shepherd the flock and the breed in a way that is respectful of land and animals. For me, some details of sheep genetics were dry reading but I do understand that she and her husband rescued the almost lost breed. This book records that process and includes interesting history about the use of wool and the breed.  

I am almost finished with Soil: The Story of a Black Mother's Garden by Camille T. Dungy. This memoir speaks eloquently to our time. Dungy's work to create her Fort Collins garden is a metaphor for the value and necessity of honoring and creating diversity in our world. Her prose and a few poems scattered throughout the book are both beautifully written. Incidentally, the library copy I'm reading is printed on paper that has a slight feel of cloth. I don't know how else to describe it and I don't find any information about the paper in the book but it certainly adds to the pleasure of reading Dungy's writing. 

Here's to the blue skies of late Spring/early Summer. What are you planning to read this summer?

Ravelry Links

Juniper Hat

Curious Hand-Spun Shawl 

Red Buds and Cherry Blossom Socks

11 comments:

  1. I am delighted to see you knitting with your handspun and enjoying the process! So many people spin and then never use their yarn (and I know I'm partly guilty of that). Your reading sound very interesting as well. I'm hoping to focus on books already on my bookshelves this summer and not get distracted by new releases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always manage to combine your handspun with commercial yarns in such pleasing ways! The hat and shawl both look lovely and I think the socks look good also. It does remind me of red buds and cherry blossoms and those are both beautiful! I'm enjoying Soil so far, and am now tempted to head to the library to feel the paper. I just might do that later today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a pretty pretty hat!! over here I'm consumed with nursing duty for Frodo and I'm not that great of a nurse nor am I a patient person. I hope he is back to his old self soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your yarn category made me laugh :)
    And it sounds like you nailed it with the hat! Ensuring a handknit hat will FEEL good is everything, I think. (I've made so many scratchy ones that never get worn, understandably...)
    Evening stitching on the deck sounds sublime. And enjoy all those gorgeous, colorful blossoms! I just planted a pollinator garden around my birdfeeders--some from plants, some from seed. I think it's the happiest place in my lot right now. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had Soil checked out from my library (it is in that sweet spot for me of memoir + garden), but I had to return it before I had a chance to read it. The book itself, though, was just lovely to look at! The cover is gorgeous, and the paper was just as you described it. I need to check it out again and read it for myself. I love the hat, Jane. The colors are so wonderful together. XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read/listened to The Lost Flock before my trip to Scotland. One of our leaders is a friend of the author and has helped her with her sheep and spinners some of the fleece so that was interesting. Now I am off to see if I can find Soil. Love your recommendations

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your words, coupled with your knits and reads makes for the most delightful post, Jane! I have added the books to my TBR list! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jane I love your descriptive blog posts! The spring socks will be very fun when done. My reading has been stalled lately. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your knitting is so pretty Jane. The hat and the shawl are both so gorgeous and I love the sock yarn (and I don't even consider myself to be a "pink person"). I'm going to see if Soil is available from my library. I am finishing up Table for Two by Amor Towles. I picked up The Frozen River from the library over the weekend and then yesterday went out and bought Amy Tan's The Backyard Bird Chronicles. I need more hours in my days. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely post Jane and how wonderful your garden is doing so well! I’m not a pink person but that yarn is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always feel a gentle sense of calm reading your posts, Jane, thank you! I'm sure there must be some frustration worked into some of those stitches, but it doesn't come through in your words or photos. and gardening isn't at all my thing, but how you describe Dungy's book makes me think I might like it. I have a LOT on my summer reading list and I think (today anyway) I'm most excited about A Suitable Boy and revisiting Elizabeth Jane Howard's Cazalet Chronicles. I'm about 1/3 through the first book and have FOUR to go!

    ReplyDelete