Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Hello October

Dear Gentle Readers, I missed being here last week. Time spent with two groups of friends as well as lunch and a visit with my sweet sister filled some days. I also planted daffodils and divided and replanted iris. One of the joys of being retired is that my days don't always have to be filled to the brim. 

I so enjoyed walking at sundown in the last of the September light. Days here were quite warm, with temps in the high 80's and occasionally hitting 90 degrees. Some maples are turning red and the birch out front sports a few yellow leaves. Many leaves are drying to brown before they fall. Once again our area is in drought. Since the storm of July 31, about a half-inch of rain has fallen. Conditions are extreme everywhere. Hopefully October brings this area cooler days and some rain.

As I link with Kat and the Unravelers, I have little to show in the way of making. I am making slow steady progress with the deep red scarf/shawl with the all over leaf motif. I enjoy working on it until about 9:15 p.m. when I find looking at the chart too much for my tired brain.  After tinking back a few rows, I now quit knitting on it while I am ahead. I love the pebbly 2-ply wool yarn although a smoother yarn might show the lace to better advantage. Blocking is sure to work magic on this piece. 

For moments when I don't want to be tied to a chart, I cast on some scrappy socks. I had 66 grams leftover from a skein of sock yarn as well as another half-skein of the same yarn in yellow. The pattern, with the slip/stitch detail keeps the knitting interesting. As I often do, I'm not following the pattern exactly. I believe it was Brenda Dayne of Cast-On who once said, "I never met a pattern I couldn't modify." Well, yes to that. 

I finished reading Looking for Jane by Helen Marshall. Marshall wrote this novel, set in Toronto, about three different women in three different times (1971, 1980, 2017.) The women, whose stories eventually come together, are affected by pregnancy and choices in reproductive health care. Two of the women are without the availability of legal abortion, the third is trying to become pregnant. What happens to all of them, including the one who becomes a physician, makes this a novel for our time. Marshall creates a nuanced human story in place of statistics and shouting. According to the author's note, at least one underground network for safe abortions performed by courageous medical personnel was known as the "Jane Network." In my opinion, the characters, plot, and content are compelling while the writing is average. 

Even though it's October, the bouquets of summer on my messy counter keep me company. May you enjoy good company this week. 


Sock Pattern - Cold Brew

Scarf Pattern - Leaflette




 

9 comments:

  1. I think your scarf/shawl will look spectacular when it's blocked -- two-ply yarn is actually ideal for lace! You are smart to put it aside in the evening to avoid mistakes.

    We are finally starting to feel like fall here. The temperatures have gone down and we've finally gotten rain, though it's been almost unending for the past week and brought gloom with it. I thought I saw the sun peeking out for a minute this morning when I was on my run, so at least I know it's still there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some bulbs on their way here as well! I love that shawl... the color, the pattern... it is perfect for this season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've had lots of clouds, a little bit of rain, and some cooling temperatures. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for more rain and temperatures cooling even more. Your shawl is really lovely and textural and I love those socks. I think zinnia bouquets in blue jars are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Brenda Dayne :-) We had blue skies here for the first time in many days. I even had to water the flowers on the porch this morning. October is always a pretty month here and I'm ready for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are not going to have a spectacular autumn. Like you the leaves are dropping before they turn. And strangely, we are turning color and dropping FASTER than the mountains just to our north. For the most part they are still green. :::smh:::

    I love the colors in your scrappy sock.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane your scarf is going to be gorgeous when blocked, that color is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your shawl/scarf is gorgeous. What a rich color! And your last little bouquets of the season are so cheerful. I've been noticing more color in the changing leaves now...hoping that continues.

    ReplyDelete
  8. scrappy socks are always fun to knit, then you clear out those odds and ends (and then buy more yarn.....) Loved the book review! Interesting to be reading a book about looking for Jane when you were right there in front of the pages, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jane your leaflette shawl is going to be darling. I love the color. Im glad you were able to spend so much time with friends..sounds like it "filled your cup". Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete