Hello Gentle Readers. I write to you from a rainy overcast morning. I woke to the low rumble of thunder and rain falling on the roof. Since I wasn't going out to walk soon, I rested a little longer. What a luxury. The two small vegetable patches have the end of summer look. The cucumber vines are in the compost. The tomato plants aren't far behind although I have one plant with green fruit. The weeds are out of control but for now they are ground cover. I'll weed later when the weather is cooler.
Today I link with Kat and the Unravelers. My making is a little ho-hum but isn't that the way it goes? I also get a little restless when just before the season transitions. I plied the first skein of my latest spin. This skein is 338 yards of fingering to sport weight yarn. I spin more consistent yarn when I ply smaller skeins with the bobbin/flyer combination used to spin singles. As much as I read about and adjust the larger bobbin/flyer on the wheel, that plying doesn't go as smoothly.
The Avenue Vest is finished and once again drying on the blocking mats. With the rain and humidity, drying is going to take some time. The ribbing around the armholes had the slightest flare so I blocked it again. I'll post some photos and write more about it next week.
I finished the first Beach Glass sock and cast on the second. I cast on a shawl with some older handspun but am not sure whether the yarn is a good match for the pattern. I looked through some stash but nothing really inspired me at the moment.
I am late to this party but I read The Women by Kristen Hannah as it is the current selection by my local book group. This novel is the story of three women who served as nurses during the Vietnam War. In my opinion the writing was a little above average while the plot carries the story. These women survived and slowly overcame the horrific conditions and experiences of their service and traumatic return to this country largely because of their friendship. I understand why the author plotted the events as she did but at one point I thought there was a little too much drama. It was as if she included all of her research about the Vietnam Nurses and Vets into one character. However, the novel will give us some good discussion points and tells an important story.
I graduated from high school in 1969 so I remember the news coverage of the war and subsequent protests. Several young men from our small town were killed in the conflict. Later I understood how the government lied to the country and the world about the war. However, I didn't know the returning nurses were not eligible to be treated by the Veteran's Administration because they didn't officially serve in combat. Being bombed and shot at in a hospital unit, evidently didn't quality as combat. I have the utmost respect for everyone who serves in the military but stand by my belief that war is hell and a waste of human potential, resources, and the environment.
On a cheerier note, I leave you with a photo of a sunny August flower. It turns out if you deadhead coreopsis beside a driveway, they bloom a second time. One of these flowers had double petals which I thought was beautiful. Have a good week.



Those lovely yellow flowers are in my garden too. I have not had socks on my needles for too long. They are such a good project to pick up and put down.
ReplyDeleteThat is one lovely skein of yarn! Plying has always been a mystery to me. If I ever could take a class in anything crafty that would be it. I could use all the expert advice I could get.
ReplyDeleteI graduated in 71. My dad hid two of my high school friends, who deserted from the army and were trying to get to Canada, in our basement for several weeks. One friend had already come back and committed suicide. We all remember watching that lottery on TV. The kids today have no idea how bad it was then. War is not a game.