Thursday, March 15, 2018

Familiar Lessons


Yesterday we had a taste of Spring. The day was warm enough to walk in shirt sleeves and so I did. Earlier this week, we attended the funeral of an acquaintance who died suddenly. I decided grocery shopping could wait ninety minutes. At the edge of town, I walked on a trail and sat on a bench facing the sun. Later I carried my knitting to the deck. The sun was lower in the sky as the robins and finches sang to each other. I'm sure the dust continued to accumulate in the house but the warm day was too fine not to be outdoors.

On the deck, I bound off the Kindness Shawl. It was a well fought game of yarn chicken. I knew I might not have enough to finish the bind off but decided to try. I ran short so I cut the tails from the cast on and one other place where I had removed a knot in the skein. I used those two little pieces to finish. I confess I tied knots after pulling the ends to the back. That corner is not going to win any prizes but I did finish the shawl without tinking back two long rows. I think I won the game but a sudsy bath and blocking will tell the story. If the ends unravel, I will not.

This shawl will be a donation or a gift.  I am not crazy about the tonal variations and color in this yarn. Both looked better to me in the skein than in the shawl. The yarn has a nice hand and the pattern is easy to follow. It just doesn't seem to be a good match for me. Perhaps someone else will enjoy it. The lesson here is not to persevere when a little voice in my head raises questions. How many times do I need to be reminded that not all projects need to be finished? The yarn would have made great socks.

Today the sky is partly cloudy and the day is not as warm. No matter, my Texas grandson and his mother are in town and we are meeting them for pizza this evening. That will be sunshine enough for this day.

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes you just have to seize the day and it sounds like you've done a marvelous job of it. I'm an example of the fact that dust can accumulate in the house without dire consequences, and appreciating your taste of spring and a clever yarn chicken bind-off is far more important than household chores. Enjoy your family sunshine and our progress towards more than just a taste of spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, have decided that dust will wait in my house. (Sometimes for a very long time. . . ) Taking advantage of those first warm days is a MUST. There is nothing better than soaking up the sun after a long winter spent huddling indoors. Enjoy the time with your family! XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always nice to have a special gift in the 'gift stash'....and I'm sure someone will find the shawl and the work and time and talent it represents a very very special gift! (my stash gift pile is rather large because I NEVEr listen to that little voice in my head!!! sheeesh!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shawl is a lovely color and hopefully, it's bath, won't render it useless...and how else might we learn if we don't try out different things?
    Cheers~

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry about your friend. I love that game of yarn chicken unless I lose. I've borrowed from cast on tails too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry for your loss . Sometimes we have to turn those thoughts around right? Enjoy that grand child!

    ReplyDelete