Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Hope

March is Women's History Month. I was in college (1969-1973) when my Mom discovered women's history. It was a heady time. She sent my sister and I subscriptions to Ms. Magazine. She was fascinated by the Suffragettes, especially those with ties to Nebraska and Iowa. I still have a news clipping I found in one of her books with a list of these women. She often recommended books written by women, some more widely known than others. She introduced me to Mari Sandoz, a Nebraska author. She gave me books published by small presses written by and about women in the west. Many of them remain on my bookshelf today. Mom was the best as a mother, friend, encourager, life-long learner, registered nurse, and much more.

This morning before writing, I decided to learn a little more about Women's History Month. In 1987, the Women's History Project petitioned Congress to designate March as Women's History Month. Each year Women's History Month has a theme. The 2018 theme is "Nevertheless She Persisted: Honoring Women Who Fight All Forms of Discrimination Against Women." At this time there is an effort to raise money to build a Women's History Museum on the Mall in Washington, D.C. Currently more women than ever are running for public office in the United States. And so the effort to represent women continues. As Emily Dickinson wrote, "Hope is a thing with feathers."

Spring's arrival is slow. In the wee hours of the new season, a flurry of wet snow fell. The goldfinches sport the first hint of their brillant summer yellow. Daffodils in my yard are up about three inches and the iris spears are green. I poked the compost for just a whiff of rich soil. The sandhill cranes are feeding along the Platte River in Nebraska.

My knitting has turned to small simple projects. I have the proverbial pair of socks on the needles. On a recent gray day, I cast on fingerless mitts in River, my favorite color in this yarn. Tomorrow I see the ophthalmologist for a new glasses prescription. When the glasses arrive in seven to ten days, I will be able to read with ease. I am grateful the cataracts in both my eyes have been successfully removed and replaced with new lenses. Literally, the possibility exists for seeing the world through new eyes.

Joining Kat and others for Wednesdays Unraveled.





7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to remember your mom. You made me laugh that you turned the compost to smell it. WHATEVER it takes to get us to SPring right?
    So glad you eye surgery was successful. taht's the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great legacy your mom left you in women's history! Spring is always slow to come here in Michigan. This year, our snow is gone, but it remains very cold. (Apparently our inability to warm up is due to the same weather pattern that is causing the nor'easters further east. I'll take the cold.) I'm seeing signs of spring, though. Crocus blooming, buds on my hellebores, daffodils are emerging, robins are singing. I think, though, that I need to go turn my compost for a good whiff of soil. XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS - That shade of blue is so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Woman's History tidbits! Your mom sounds she was an amazing woman (and should be included on the list!)

    I am desperately seeking signs of spring here too... dratted snow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've written a lovely post to allow us to share a day with you. I would love to take a peek at your bookshelf, chat about your mother, admire your beautiful blue fingerless mitts, and definitely appreciate a whiff of your compost! It's wonderful to see the world through your new eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your mitts on the needles and learning more about women's history month! All of our snow melted so it definitely smells and looks like spring here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delighted that your eye surgeries have been a success! Thaks for the history about Women's History month...I forget that it's so young...oh, do we have work to do! Still...

    ReplyDelete