Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes



My daughter and son-in-law are expecting a new baby in September. We are excited to meet this new little person. This couple chooses to be old-fashioned either not learning the gender or keeping it under their hats until the baby is born. As we say, a healthy baby and Mom is more important than the gender. I knit accordingly to be prepared. Last year about this time of year I finished a little bright little pullover sweater and matching hat. Earlier this Spring I knit a feminine lavender cardigan. Ravelry notes are here and here.

I have given away all previously knitted little girl sweaters to other darling babies as we have four grandsons. I knit this little hat as my husband and I visited cemeteries for Memorial Day weekend. I didn't plan to knit a baby hat on this trip but just grabbed it on the way out the door because it was a good portable project. Then as we left the peaceful rural cemetery where my husband's mother and grandparents are buried and drove north to the cemetery of my parents' graves, I thought how wonderful that this new little soul is connected to the old ones gone before. Besides loving these kids to pieces, grandparents are able to tell family stories from the past. As grandparents, aunts, uncles, and parents, we re-member family, linking the past and future of our children.


Since I am linking with Kat and the Unravelers, I'll mention two books. Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes by Mem Fox was one of Micah's favorite books. It is a sweet little story welcoming babies all around the world, pointing out similarities rather than differences. We still read it together. I am currently reading a paper copy of my book club's June selection, Still Life by Louise Penny.  Last February I listened to the audio and enjoyed hearing the pronunciation of the French words. Rereading this mystery/novel I am now alert to all the clues Penny inserted into the story. I don't know that I will both listen and read the entire series but I am enjoying this version knowing what is coming to the characters in future novels. And of course, visiting Three Pines complete with Myrna's bookstore and the bistro with croissants and cafe au lait, is a pleasure.

I am back to my routine and happy to be here. But oh May - where did you go?




6 comments:

  1. Congratulations to all on your new little one to come! I love your Memorial Day baby hat, and your "circle of life" ponderings and connections that go with it. They are so true, but not something I pause to appreciate often enough. Enjoy your time in Three Pines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!! I love those cute sweater/hat sets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! I love both of your sweater sets--they are perfect in every way. And I especially loved reading your thoughts on generational "connecting." I couldn't agree more. :-) I first visited Three Pines when I was going through chemo (nearly 10 years ago now), and I've enjoyed my return-visits more each time. XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I like surprise gender pregnancies and neutral is in so it’s a breeze to knit for them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too love the grandparent stories - remembering them being told by my grandparents and sharing them with my grand daughter! And, I simply LOVE Three Pines and dearest Armand! And, you are right - hearing the story with the beautiful pronunciations makes it so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your start is darling. Love the picot edge on it! Great color. Congratulations / What an exciting time for all!!!!!
    My grandmother and my husbands grandmother were both thrilled when our children spent time with them. They remember them vividly!! How wonderful

    ReplyDelete