Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Hello June



Hello June - I've missed your balmy sunshine, long evenings, and warm days. I haven't missed the weeds that come with abundant rain. Since today promises to be dry I hope to weed the perennial flowers along the fence. Saturday I replanted cucumber and zinnia seeds that were either washed away or eaten by the birds. As I walk, I'm enjoying the splashes of color from flowers in the neighborhood. They reflect the gardener's personality and tell me a little about my neighbors. My pots are planted with a lick and a promise and what is economical from the nursery. When it rains, I'll sew but that is a post for another day. I have supplies for two small projects.


The two little sweaters are finished and ready for delivery. The rose cardigan is a baby shower gift for later this month. I sewed two wee white buttons on the yoke after this photograph. The bottom rows that flipped up while I was knitting blocked out nicely. Blocking is knitting magic. I will deliver Norah's sweater in person later this month and I can't wait. The free Flax patterns, one in worsted weight and the other in fingering, make nice pullovers. The patterns are sized from infant through adult.


Since finishing these sweaters, I've had a bit of a cast on party. I made one hat for a charity donation and am swatching for a sweater. Last knit I cast on a hat to match Norah's sweater. Sunday I cast on and unraveled the beginning of a lace scarf. Since I had one skein I decided to use it for lace scarf. I meant to choose a project from a knitting book on my shelf but instead flipped through the Up, Down, All-Around Stitch Dictionary (from my shelf!) and chose a few stitch patterns to try. A lace leaf pattern got lost in the tonal variation of the darker color so I began again with the Wave Crest stitch. I'll knit until I get bored, then add garter stitch rows and perhaps pick a different pattern. I am in the mood for casual summer knitting. The yarn is lovely and reminds me of the Connecticut trip when it was purchased.


I am reading the book The Triumph of Seeds: How Grains, Nuts, Kernals, Pulses, and Pips Conquered the Plant Kingdom and Shaped Human History by Thor Hanson. The science of seeds is interesting but the historical significance of different varieties is fascinating. The author mentions in the preface he has kept scientific jargon to a minimum. Well maybe. I do appreciate the glossary of terms for reference as I am not a botanist. In contrast and because none of my holds had come in from Overdrive, I listened to an unabridged version of Mary Poppins. I had never read the entire story and found it full of lively nonsense and fun.

I am linking with Kat and the Unravelers and then off to do battle with the weeds before they triumph over the flowers and the rhubarb. Have a good week.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for your confession of "what is economical from the nursery" - I too am of that same mind.

    I am absolutely enthralled with your "sampler scarf"! What a brilliant idea! (and the yarn is just gorgeous!)

    Thank you so much for joining us today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delightful knitting pieces and I trust your garden's crops will be bountiful. We've had two "rare June days" so far---yesterday and Monday; hopefully, that won't be the end.
    Have a good week!
    Cheers~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are adorable baby sweaters, and I do appreciate the summery pattern of your lace scarf knitting. I really like your idea of casual and enjoyable choices from a stitch dictionary and may try it myself once I finish the Hitchhiker. I'm itching to knit something in linen and this may be just the way to do it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those little sweaters - so pretty. I have a few stitch books - the newest being one of so many different cables - it is easy to spend hours going through them and picking out things to try. Fun times!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those little sweaters are so sweet. I am a sucker for pink and lace, so I especially love the Rose Sweater.
    A cast-on party is a great way to mark the beginning of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in the mood for summer knitting - I think that is why I started some cowls that are easy to transport. Both baby sweaters look delightful and that reminds me I need to dig around for some yarn for a baby blanket for my niece....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I may suggest that book to a Vegan friend. Would it be good for her to read it?
    Your baby sweaters look so so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jane what part of Nebraska are you from?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete