Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Hello Summer

Saturday evening we returned from a road trip to the Minnesota North Woods. The five hundred and fifty miles include a stretch along the Missouri River bluffs in far northeast Nebraska and then a north route through the Minnesota prairie into the lake country. The wildlife, including pelicans, swans, eagles, cranes, and a doe/fawn pair as well as the sky are beautiful. The darker color across the top of the photo is due to the color of the windshield. My husband prefers to drive so I watch for birds and knit. Once in Minnesota, I finished a pair the socks that also traveled to Connecticut. They need a bath before I pop them into the Christmas 2021 gift bag.

My sister and brother-in-law hosted us at their lake home. The weather with warm days and cool nights  was a nice escape from the 100 degree days in Nebraska. The company was even better. My sister and I knit on the screened in porch. My youngest brother and his daughter (Montana residents) joined us for kayaking, a jigsaw puzzle, meal prep in the kitchen, and sitting on the dock with our feet in the lake. On our last night, my other brother and one of his daughters drove in from Iowa. My sister, brothers, and I had not been together for at least two years and maybe three. We are the four J's, named in the 1950's: Jane, Julie, John, and James.  

Saturday morning, my sister scrambled eggs while I baked semmels, a traditional hard roll recipe or as my brother-in-law says, a vehicle for butter, jam, peanut butter, or cheese. We joined hands and sang the Johnny Appleseed Grace, a tradition from gathering with Mom and Dad and all of our young children. There were many good moments during those days but the sound of our voices around the breakfast table will carry me until I see and hug them again. Then we drove home. 

On Sunday, our son and grandson spent Father's Day with us. Austin will be a senior in high school this fall. They left early Monday morning for their Fort Worth home. As this summer begins our hearts are full and ever so grateful to be together again. 

Autumn 2020

Now to catch up with Kat and friends by linking to Unraveled Wednesday. Before leaving for Connecticut, I finished the Antler Mittens. I continue to work on this shawl,  playing with the pattern and adding the eyelet sections as I like. I need a new project or two. Hopefully this weekend I'll have a few quiet moments to pull something from stash. 

I read two books from my summer list. I finished The Soul of a Woman by Isabel Allende. I found it refreshingly direct. This nonfiction is a strong statement of Allende's opinions about feminism and women. She brings her wide ranging life experiences to this book. I listened to The Water Dancer by Ta-Neihisi Coates. This is a powerful beautifully written story about strong characters who show resilience and create family in spite of a brutal culture. It contains a touch of magical realism and a vocabulary that respects the dignity of people who were enslaved. I highly recommend this novel. Listening to the end of this book on the flight from NYC to Kansas City as the sun went down above cloud cover was a magical moment. 

Now we are home for the summer to tend the house, yard, and garden. Hello summer - hello you. 

Ravelry Links

Summer Latte Socks

Spring Rewilding Shawl

Father's Day 2021




 


10 comments:

  1. Your time in the North Woods with siblings sounds just wonderful, and the same goes for spending Father's Day with your son and grandson. There's no better way to fill your heart than spending time together at long last. I'm going to have to take a look at a semmel recipe; I'm always happy to have something to better convey butter and jam into my mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful time you had! It must have been heaven to be with family again (I know it was for me last week in Virginia), and the North Woods are so beautiful. And then Father's Day with another son and grandson - perfect!! I have never heard of the Johnny Appleseed Grace - I will need to google that. Welcome Home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so much fun reading everyone's blogs about visiting their relatives again. Glad you had such a fun trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful to see family again! like Dee, I am enjoying every bit of these reunions on blogs this summer. I also love bread that's a vehicle for butter (or olive oil) ... that's honestly the only reason I LOVE bread :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you are really getting around this summer. So nice that you can once again travel and be with family. I love those socks. I hope you continue to have a wonderful summer surrounded by those you love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the smiling faces, the joy in the travels to visit family, and the simple pleasure of sharing a meal together! The Minnesota North Woods sound like the perfect break from hot summer days! Welcome home... and hello you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea Nebraska had it so hot! Minnesota loons and lakes are one of our country's great treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a fun trip. I love being near the water. I am one of 5 and we all have names that start with the letter J (1950’s too). Also mom and dad were J names too. Fun connection.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you had such a wonderful lake-break with your family. It sounds like a perfect get-away (and especially wonderful that you could escape a heat wave at home, too). It's such a treat to spend time with our families again! Getting together is so much sweeter now, isn't it? Like you, I enjoyed The Water Dancer, and found it to be a great read. I hope things stay reasonably cool in your corner of the world! XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. And Hello You! Thank you for sharing your trips and wonderful family gatherings, resumption of traditions. I am so glad that you had those wonderful moments of reunion. Here’s to many more. I have Water Dancer in my Audible library - it’s waiting to be fired up…hopefully soon. Stay cool, knit on and enjoy!
    Cheers~

    ReplyDelete