Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Summer Season

Sweet June days come to an end as bright flowers, firebums*, high humidity, weeds, and early morning walks arrive. This morning I walked what I call the flower route to take my mind off the weeds and the humidity. A few neighbors maintain a naturally wild look with coneflowers, daisies, day lilies, and untrimmed lawns. Some yards are meticulously landscaped with a profusion of annual flowers and while most fall somewhere in between. I confess I have mixed feelings about perfectly manicured lawns with numerous annuals. They are beautiful but I worry about the amount of water needed to maintain them. Then I come home to the pots of geraniums on my porch and water them. My vegetable garden and herb bed couldn't survive without watering. Life is a puzzle sometimes. 


I am linking with Kat and the Unravelers to write about knitting and reading. Thank you Kat for hosting this link. One project is never enough so I cast on two smaller projects from partial skeins. About a year ago, I knit a cowl from the royal blue yarn and never knit matching mitts from the remaining yarn. I had the hand of one mitt finished before I created a project page. 



I cast on a tried and true baby sweater from partial skeins of Pixel yarn by Berroco because it is always good to have a baby sweater to give or donate. Ravelry tells me this is the fifth project with this pattern. This go around will involve a game of yarn chicken. Berroco doesn't sell this colorway any more which is too bad because it is my favorite. If I run out of yarn I could buy another colorway and stripe it into the sweater. Isn't it always the way? In an attempt to use partial skeins, I need to buy another that will make another leftover. This is one way to never run out of yarn scraps.




Saturday I cast on a little cardigan for Norah. I'm using KnitPicks Swish DK, a great yarn for kids' knits as it washes well. I chose the pattern for the contrasting pockets. At the moment, she wants her clothing to have pockets. So I'll deliver pockets hoping they prompt this strong willed little gal to wear a sweater in the fall. Besides the pockets in a contrasting color are just cute. I love a girl with a mind of her own.

My sister suggested The Narrowboat Summer as a peaceful pandemic read and I am glad she did. I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. I'd like to spin some yarn in the same colors as the cover but spinning is a post for another day. In this book, three older women, previously unknown to each other, become friends as they face change and challenge in their lives. Two of them agree to pilot a narrowboat belonging to the third woman through canals in England. The story is driven by well written characters and a subtle plot. As a bonus, a secondary character is a knitter. It's obvious to me that Youngson is a knitter. This book makes me think about the seasons in the lives of the characters as well as my own life. Each season brings us a gift, some more welcome than others. This author also wrote Meet Me At the Museum that some of you have read.

As I leave you, I think of the line from a James Russell Lowell poem that my Mom used to repeat on beautiful June days, "What is so rare as a day in June?" The rest of the poem is flowery and old fashioned but that line is timeless. Happy Summer.

Ravelry Links

Leaf Mitts

Little Nugget #5

Norah's Cricket

*Seven years ago a grandson discovered fireflies - "Look their bums light up!"

9 comments:

  1. You are so good about using up your scraps - and replenishing the supply with another partial skein just keeps the projects moving along! I read Narrowboat Summer earlier this year and loved it. The characters and setting were delightful, and the knitting was the cherry on top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bugs that shine in the night are the best. I enjoy this bookmark b_og!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cast-ons delight me, especially the sweater with pockets for a young girl that knows what she wants. The Narrowboat Summer sounds like another delight and just the sort of book I'm looking for now. Thanks to you and your sister for the recommendation. Your grandson is probably a bit young to explain to him that the lightning bugs are signaling for sex; firebums sound so descriptive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your line about needing to purchase new yarn so you can use up your scraps really made me chuckle! I'm nodding my head, as I've been there myself. I love to hear about little Norah's need for pockets. How wonderful that you can knit a custom sweater - complete with charming contrast pockets - for her. And I'm going to look for The Narrowboat Summer myself. That sounds like a perfect summer read. Enjoy the week. XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. That little baby sweater is going to be so pretty. That yarn is such a lovely color mix.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post delights me! I too, struggle with the water/don't water/natural landscape/potted plants gardens... it is something I think about often during the week. And with the much warmer days we are having the need for watering is a must...it is a puzzle.

    I love the sweater for Nora! (those headstrong girls FTW!) Tiny suggestion for her mom from a mother of a very headstrong girl... give two options, wear it or carry it... my guess is that soon sweet Nora will be wearing that sweater! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you describe your granddaughter -- she sounds like such a fun kid! I hope she loves her new sweater with pockets.

    I think I now need to refer to fireflies as firebums!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that Norah has her own mind!! And pockets for the win - you never know what you may find to pick up when out walking. Like others, I think I need to start calling lightening bugs "Firebums" - such a great name! And, like others, I am looking for The narrowboat Summer - it sounds like a perfect book for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that baby sweater is adorable! (and one evening ... instant gratification and a keeper of a pattern, for sure!) I love the idea of a winter book in the middle of July - maybe Sam would be up for a few "cold" books?!

    ReplyDelete