Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Early July Notes

Overnight a little rain fell. This morning the sky is gray and the air is heavy with humidity. The finches are at the feeder so I hope that means more rain. I am clipping oregano, basil, parsley, thyme, and chives. Fresh herbs are one of summer's pleasures. Last week I bought a new journal for gardening notes. When we moved into our current home in 1991, I started a garden journal. Somewhere along the way, I quit making notes and sketches but kept sticking in plant tags. Several years ago the tags exploded onto the kitchen desk and I threw the whole mess away. I wish I'd kept my early notes but in a fit of neatness I did not. A digital journal would be more efficient but I'm a paper/pen/pencil kind of gal. This time I'm determined to do better. Wish me luck. 

Wednesday is the day Kat and the Unravelers write about knitting and reading. How is it Wednesday again? The baby sweater is fun to knit. For the record, I'm going to win the game of yarn chicken. The color sequence in the sleeves will not match but with this yarn it doesn't matter - at least to me. A baby isn't going to care either. Man, these little sweater sleeves are a breeze. I knit the first one in an evening - almost instant gratification. I finished the fingerless mitts. If I made them again, I'd add a stitch or two to the thumbs. The pattern calls for Aran weight yarn and I used DK so that is the difference. They fit me, snug thumbs and all, and match this cowl. 

Every now and then I enjoy a deep dive into a writer and her work. The more I learn about Emily Dickinson the more I understand her poems and admire her work. I reread I Never Came to You in White by Judith Farr. Farr imagines the life of Dickinson in letters written by people who knew her. I read it when it first came out and it made little sense to me. Now having read more about Dickinson, I found it very intriguing. The letter format is appropriate as Dickinson was a prolific letter writer. Indeed her letters were collected and published in Emily Dickinson: Selected Letters that I have also read. 

Jonah, my FaceTime reading buddy, asked for Frosty The Snowman. Then we had a conversation about the snowmen he built last winter. A child's mind and delight is wonderful. 

This is more than enough writing from me. Click on over to Kat and the other Unravelers (link above) for reading and knitting inspiration. 

Ravelry Links

Leaf Mitts

Baby Sweater

8 comments:

  1. The baby sweater is sweet and the blue of your cowl and mitts is a soothing and lovely shade. I applaud Jonah's reading request. Nothing like a good snowman story on a hot summer's day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonah is one smart cookie! It's the perfect time of year to read (and chat) about snowmen, isn't it? Your knitting is lovely, as always, but I particularly like the colors of your baby sweater. What a sweet gift that will be! I have a copy of Emily Dickinson: Selected Letters in my home library. It's a lovely book, and so much fun to thumb through. Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that baby sweater you are knitting. That book you are reading about Emily Dickinson sounds interesting. Is Jonah one of your grandchildren? So fun that you are reading Frosty the Snowman in the middle of the hot summertime. I like the idea of a garden journal and it is a great idea to do it digitally. Enjoy the rest of this summer week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cowl and mitts are stunning. That blue is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baby sweaters are so satisfying to knit because they go so quickly! You may very well be done with it by now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Bonny... reading about snowmen on a warm July day is just perfect! The mitts and cowl will come in handy this fall... but hopefully not too soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your knitting is so lovely. Snowman talk with a child is precious! I remember when Zach first realized in Chicago, that all snow was not snowman snow. Some is too flurry to form the big snowballs. HE cried. HE was 3.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Emily's poems and plan to read more. I am longingly thinking of fall but I know I should not wish summer away.

    ReplyDelete