Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Knitting and Spinning

Light rain falls as I write this post. Although some trees remain green, the maples, locusts, and ash are hauntingly beautiful. Have I mentioned that October is my favorite month? The outdoor photo is from yesterday's walk. I pulled out The Wheeling Year: A Poet's Field Book and read Ted Kooser's reflections on October in rural Nebraska and Iowa. His prose is beautiful, unique, and peaceful. The bitter rancorous language that bombards daily life makes me weary. Kooser's words are a balm for this troubled time, as are knitting and spinning. 

Today is Unraveled Wednesday with some progress in my projects. I am linking with the other Unravelers. The day is quite gray so photos were a challenge. Last night I finished the second section of Fractal Danger. The shaping is accomplished by use of short rows. I am amazed at designers who come up with these patterns. I know there is a mathematical concept involved but don't have to understand it to knit the project. Regardless, the short row sections make for interesting knitting. They require me to pay attention so this scarf is a little different than the Hitchhiker. I'm in it for the process and enjoying the kintting. 

I finished a second skein from some Polworth fiber. The soft gold is a pretty and a change from the colors I typically choose. I have enough fiber to spin one more skein. A few times, I had trouble with fiber pulling apart at the joins. I picked up the spindle another day and was successful. The little white cowl is coming along. It might have been nice to double this with a strand of mohair/silk but I didn't have any in stash the evening I cast on. 

I finally finished Horizon by Barry Lopez. All summer and fall this has been my Sunday book, one that requires intermittent daylight reading followed by time for reflection. Lopez was terminally ill as he finished this book. In Horizon, he revisits far flung locations previously visited to see if he could learn anything new. Although I don't agree with every position Lopez takes, I appreciate his thoughtfulness, his respect for indigenous peoples and working class people who make scientific expeditions possible, and the environment. I found his comments about the wisdom of elders very astute. He pointed out that wise elders in most cultures don't seek fame and fortune but everyone knows who they are. The book is a bit of a wander though his mind and not a fast read but well worth my the time. Once again he reminds me, "All who wander are not lost." I also wonder why this country isn't listening to voices like Lopez's.  

This last photo is a little fuzzy but I decided to post it anyway. I hope autumn is treating you to beauty. 


 

9 comments:

  1. Bitter, insulting language has been disturbing my days, especially during this political season, so it's a treat to read your gentle words. I will also look for Ted Kooser's and Barry Lopez's books as I am in need of some thoughtful voices. I love your Fractal, cowl, and spinning, and hope autumn is treating you well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am nodding my head in agreement to this post, Jane. Personally, I think if poetry was mandatory reading, this would be a nice world. Period.

    I too love short row knitting... it is fun, it is engaging, and there are a million ways to short row!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What Bonny said. When did our country become so hateful of each other.

    Your posts are always so sweet and calming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How have I never heard of Barry Lopez??? Now, I have and this book you read sounds like one I would like. We all need to read things we can really stop to think about. I am not a knitter, but I love your knitting projects and admire your skill and talent with yarn. Hope your week is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poetry is always a good way to calm my mind; it almost demands a slower pace and a focus of thought.

    Your handspun looks so lovely. It makes me so happy to see how you have embraced this new craft.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another poetry lover, here. Always a balm for my soul! Your fall looks like it's unfolding beautifully; thanks for sharing your lovely colors. (We seem to be in short supply here, this year.) Your knitting, as always, is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. all of your photos are stunning! I miss reading poetry so maybe I need to add it for November? I like doing themed monthly challenges..

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a lovely post - the words, the photos, the feeling I have after reading ... thank you! and wow, Jane, your spinning is really coming along!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So lovely Jane. Thank you for posting. Now that election day is over (thank goodness), I'm hoping for a lessening of the negative, nasty language and comments. Not sure that will happen, but any lessening would be a blessing.

    ReplyDelete