Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Now it is November


Now it is November. Last night we had freezing temperatures. The maples are a glorious red orange that won't last long. I'm soaking up every last bit of autumn color. A flock of robins is having a feast in the ornamental pear tree. A white breasted nuthatch pokes around in the birch, cracking open safflower seeds or storing them for a colder day. On Monday we drove home from a few days in Fort Worth where we had a nice visit with our son and family. We watched our grandson play football on a beautiful Friday evening in the school's new stadium. Since I am the grandmother, I cheered enthusiastically for the young man we all love and left the worry about injuries to his parents. The school did a great job of having many students participate in the evening. The drum line in the band looked like they were having the best time. My hat is off to the music department in that school. Oh yes, the Pioneers won the game. 

Since today is Wednesday, I'm linking with Kat and the other Unravelers to post about knitting and reading. 

All the miles meant knitting time. I pulled out three leftover sock yarns and knit a pair of scrappy socks in Halloween colors. I need to knit the toe on the second sock and they will be finished. Socks are good travel projects and these yarns seemed appropriate for Halloween weekend. 

Texas sun shines on the scrappy sock

Before we left, I cast on the Anker's Cardigan My Size with yarn that was a birthday gift from my sister. The Woolstok Light has a lovely hand and I love the color. Choosing a sweater pattern always seems tricky. I read the Ravelry notes about the sweater but knitters knit differently. Time will tell if I chose wisely but what the heck - it is only knitting. I've had my eye on this pattern for quite awhile. This sweater makes four active projects which is one more than is typical for me. However the socks and handspun cowl are nearly finished. 

While driving we listened to the latest Bess Crawford mystery, An Irish Hostage. This mystery takes place in Ireland just after World War One. It is predictable and a little old fashioned but Bess Crawford and Simon Brandon feel like old friends. We enjoyed this latest installment in the series. The English position toward Ireland is very evident but the English and Irish characters seem like they were true to the time in which they lived.  

I love to visit my family but I am happy to be home. After a drive to northeast Iowa and then Texas, home, even though slightly dusty, feels wonderful. I made a pot of white bean soup last night. This afternoon I plan to get out my winter coat and mittens and go for a walk. I am ready for some quiet days. Happy November.

Ravelry Links

Light Blue Anker's Cardigan

Scrappy Socks



11 comments:

  1. We had our first light frost last night, so I'm going to be paying close attention to foliage colors this week. Our maples are a muted yellow, but so many of our leaves are still green. Bean soup, a walk with mittens on, and knitting on that lovely cardigan all sound just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful fall foliage. So glad you were able to make the trip to Texas to see you son and grandchildren. Charly and I also listen to audiobooks in the car when we go on road trips. The bean soup sounds good. We are getting a little bit cooler day by day here, so yes, winter is coming, but it has been a lovely fall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a nice visit to TX. I agree with you - it is always wonderful to visit family and friends, but even more wonderful to come home again. Bean soup and knitting sound perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I type, it is 27F outside -- feels like winter! A big pot of soup sounds like the perfect meal on a chilly autumn day. Seeing all the colors has been a good reward for walking even when I'm cold.

    I love your attitude toward your grandson's football playing. I didn't realize that being a grandparent meant you could stop worrying (I don't think my father has, either!). I'm sure he appreciated the cheering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had our first frost Tuesday night and a harder frost last night. Which have brought the "growing season" to its official end in my neighborhood. It is a bit sad on one hand, but very welcome on the next. I am ready for the change of seasons and more time to do different things!

    I think that Ankers Cardigan will look so lovely on you! I can't wait to see it progress! (and scrappy socks for the win!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful that you could cheer your grandson on to victory!!! I know how much my parents enjoyed seeing my kids "perform" when they were in high school (either on the ice or on the stage). It was a wonderful time for all of us! Enjoy these late fall days, and stay cozy and warm inside! XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you had a lovely family visit. My son was in drumline. Yes, they DO have a ton of fun.

    The white bean soup sounds delicious. I think that is going on our menu soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. like you 'there is no place like home'. My bed, my kitchen, my mug, my amount of silence, it's all perfection. I do love to see family but I breathe a bit easier sinking into my own bed the first night back.

    So glad you saw them after the year we've had!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome home. I am a bit envious because I would love to travel somewhere but I am also fortunate to have our daughters and their families so close. It has been pretty cold here - no frost yet - and I am grateful for my woolly socks and sweaters.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy November and welcome home ... although I'm guessing that bean soup is a distant memory by now ;-) I'm grateful that nearly all my family (a nephew and a niece are the only ones who aren't local) lives in the area so "travel" isn't necessary (my husband's family is spread out across the country ... we don't see them very often). The trees are still red, yellow, and orange outside my window. Rain is coming Thursday and I hope it leaves some color on the branches. I'm not quite ready for the bare trees.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nothing 1ike fami1y!!!!! That's a 1ong car trip. But worth it! 1ook at your photo of the tree and 1ook at the socks.....they are pretty c1ose in co1or. I find I mimic my environment too with knitting

    ReplyDelete