Thursday, November 18, 2021

Sixes and Sevens


Hello on this bright crisp day. The winds of November blow and the yards are full of leaves. Yesterday morning two friends and I enjoyed tea and muffins in a cozy living room. We talked of family, friends, the public schools, and books. We had a lovely warm time together. The afternoon came and went so here I am on Thursday. Even though I'm late, I'll link with Kat and the Wednesday Unravelers

My brother John is on my mind and in my heart. He loved autumn so this gorgeous long season feels bittersweet. Grief and joy surface at the oddest moments. I try to welcome all of these emotions and not avoid the sadness. I remind myself that loss isn't a tidy package to be wrapped and placed on a shelf by any given date. 

Knitting, even when at sixes and sevens, is a good companion for these November days. My finished Fractal Danger (above) has a shape unlike the other finished projects on Ravelry. Through no fault of the pattern, I took a wonky turn and created the unique corner you see on the end. Regardless, the scarf wraps well around my neck and I decided not to redo it. I love the color. The design, with short row sections, is interesting to knit and I loved the color and hand of the yarn.



I have long wanted to knit the autumn colors of Spring Creek Prairie into a shawl. Walking the prairie and knitting a triangular shawl both feel like coming home to me. I pulled these yarns from stash and have tried three different patterns. More often than not I over-think projects and this is one of them. This morning I realized my logical mind would rather start with the colors of the ground and work up to the sky with a soft lacy detail. I foresee more trial and error before I really get going on this shawl. 

I knit a few more ribbed sections on the yoke of this cardigan. This singles yarn has a lovely hand. I need a needle with a longer cable and I don't have one. I think physical comfort while knitting is important. How is it I have a basket full of needles but need another? Since I prefer either a Knitter's Pride or ChiaoGoo and my local shops don't carry them, I need to order one. I haven't looked yet but hope some web-based store has one in stock. 

I make good progress on my little holiday quilt.  It's amazing how working on something moves one closer to being finished. I have two borders and four corners left to quilt. I'm on track to finish this by the first part of December. 

I read The Personal Librarian by Marie Benedict and Victoria Christopher Murray. The collaboration between these two women is a remarkable story. The hard copy concludes with notes by both authors. I recommend reading them. The characters, particularly the women, are well written and drive the plot. At times the writing felt a little awkward but the story of Belle da Costa Green and the Pierpont Morgan Library in New York City is worth knowing and reading. 

I hope this November day finds you well and warm. 

Ravelry Links

Fractal Danger 

Anker's Cardigan, My Size

Prairie Shawl


11 comments:

  1. I love the unique corner on your Fractal Danger, and would call it a brilliant design feature. You are so right about grief. I used to think it was supposed to diminish with time passing, but that is not true at all. I have family that has been gone for years and there are times I miss them immensely. Like you, I just remind myself with what I used to tell my kids when they were young "Tears and sadness are just a reminder of how much you loved the person that is gone, and also how much they loved you." I think your idea to knit the autumn prairie colors into a shawl is lovely, and one you will succeed at with time. Thank you for the book recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Ankers cardigan 1ooks very pretty. I may have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grief is SUCH a personal thing. I doubt any of us follow a straight path through our grief.

    I love all your projects. Even the "wonky" scarf. It is beautiful and will keep you right warm from those prairie winds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw that book at the library and managed to resist the temptation to take it home. My reading pile is a bit overwhelming right now, really need to sort that out. I love the color of that scarf and wouldn’t even have noticed that it was wonky. If it fits, seems like it was meant to be. Thanks for sharing about your grief. I have found myself really missing some losses this month. Grief and joy really do sneak up on us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely post Jane. I particularly like your words about grief. So true. Your sweater is such a pretty color and I love your wonky Fractal - looks great to me. I also love the idea of a Prairie Shawl. That will be so pretty. I'll look forward to seeing your progress on that. Thanks for the book recommendation - I've added it to my rather long and out of control TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always feel so calm reading your posts, Jane. You have such a healthy attitude toward grief, and I really admire your willingness to embrace all the emotions that you're experiencing.

    Your Fractal Danger may not look like other projects but it's lovely and still extremely functional -- and that's really all that matters!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always appreciate your wise and thoughtful words, Jane. Your reflections on grief are so helpful -- and a good reminder as we head into the holiday season, where (for me) my grief seems to surface around every corner. XO As always, I love your knitting projects -- and I especially love the colors-of-Spring-Creek-Prairie shawl. What a beautiful "reminder" that will be for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. may you be comforted during your grief of fond memories and mostly of love. Love the projects! I'm knitting a bunch of gifts and can't wait to be knitting for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just bought the pattern for Fractal Danger. I have so much fingering weight yarn that I need good patterns for. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that unique turn on your Fractal Danger! Well done you! :)

    I think your Ankers Cardigan is going to be so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely post (again!) I've been thinking a lot about knitting the colors of the landscape and when I saw that photo of the prairie grasses with that blue sky my heart jumped ... and then it did a flip when I saw the colors you've chosen for your shawl!

    ReplyDelete