Wednesday, March 2, 2022

In Like a Lamb

March came in like a lamb. The sky is blue and the air is warm. Today the weather app tells me the air quality is not good. Tinder dry conditions put dust into the air and also make grass fires a possibility. Monday I stopped at a local nursery to see if anything was stirring in the greenhouses. I may have lost my marbles because I picked up one inexpensive package of violas and brought them home. The last frost date is over a month away. The pot is sitting on the kitchen counter and even if the plants don't live long enough to go outdoors, they lift my spirits. 

One of my grandmothers remarked to me that we would all be happier if we smiled like the pansies. Evidently she saw a smile in the blooms. By my girlhood, she was widowed and lived in a very small home on my uncle's property. She had a very narrow strip of ground next to her front door and some years grew a few pansies. Anyway it is a sweet memory and I think of her when I see pansies. That memory, the sun on my back, and a little dirt under my fingernails made me forget the state of the world for a few minutes.  

Fiber work is also a gift these days. Yesterday I opened a braid of Heathered BFL by Greenwood Fiber in the February birthstone colorway Amethyst. The colors are pretty and the BFL has a nice soft hand for a beginning spinner. I began spinning a single yesterday. 


Wednesday is the day to link with Kat and the Unravelers. I am pleased to say I haven't done any unraveling this week. The sweater continues. My hands needed a break from the sweater body on small needles so I knit on the cowl last night. I like the texture in this pattern. Once it is set up, it is easy to follow. I find this true for Bonnie Sennott designs. Her patterns are well written. I have knit several and enjoyed them all.  

Last weekend I plied these two skeins of  Polworth. Then I set out to spin the deepest blue at the end of the braids. Luckily I didn't spin much fiber before I noticed my fingers turning blue. The dye washed off easily and a damp rag cleaned the spindle. I know some yarns give up dye during the first wash or two so I suppose this is not unexpected. I didn't want my spindles to be stained with dye so will not be spinning that portion of the fiber. I spun these skeins of yarn spun from two braids of the same colorway. I see improvement in my spinning. This heavy fingering to sport weight yarn will make for some nice knitting. 


A week or so ago I plied a small skein of a blended fiber (merino, silk, flax)  from Hip Strings. I made an interesting yarn. 


Warning: I am about to get on a soapbox. 

I am listening to A Swim in the Pond: In Which Four Russians Give a Master Class in Reading, Writing, and Life by George Saunders and have mixed feelings about the book. Although I plan to finish, I am not to the end. The short story form is not my favorite so I chose this title to learn more. The commentary on what makes a good short story is thorough, understandable, and informative. I also realize this book is based on Russian writers who wrote a long time ago but (here we go) only one of the four stories has an interesting (to me) female character. Two of the stories feature women as minor characters portrayed in negative ways. One story develops a woman character in terms of her relationships to three or four males who come into her life. Perhaps the point of the story is that women should not mold themselves to men but I prefer to read about positive ways women can thrive in relationships or grow in other ways. In other words, what a woman can do instead of what she shouldn't do. I know others have enjoyed this book and I could be missing the point. As I listen I am reminded, once again, how literature perpetuates stereotypes of all kinds. The four stories are read by strong voices. The author narrates the commentary. In my opinion, he isn't a skilled audio reader. Now that I've offered my opinion, I'll step down. 

Take care my friends. 

  





  

9 comments:

  1. Your pansies make me smile, too, because they make me happy as flowers and my grandmother also saw smiles on their faces. Anything that can take your mind off the news is worth cultivating. I may need to look for some myself tomorrow. Our last frost date is more than two months away, but I do feel in need of some new growth.

    Your spinning is really, really lovely and it lifts my heart to see such a beautiful display of handspun yarns. I started A Swim in the Pond, but it wasn't the book for me at the time. I think your way of looking at things is valid, and I wonder how Mr. Saunders would reply.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your spinning is beautiful. Those blues are all so pretty.

    Pansies always remind me of my grandfather. He owned a greenhouse and I worked for him part time until he passed away. He ALWAYS had pansies. After blooming season it was my job to collect the seeds, organize them by color, and store them away in envelopes for the next growing season.

    I always thought they looked like little old men with mustaches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someone with a birthday at the very end of March (30th), I always take note of how March "comes in" . . . with an eye to how it might "go out." This year, I'm afraid I may have some undesirable weather coming for my birthday! ;-) I love pansies (although I've never really found "the smile"), and can't wait to have some out in my spring garden. Your little pot is so charming. And your spinning is beautiful!

    Now. On to Mr. Saunders. I have been spending a leisurely time with A Swim in the Pond (reading with my eyes, in my case), just reading a little here and there. I like short stories quite a lot, I love the Russian authors, and I really enjoy George Saunders. That said, your points are completely valid! I think that's one of the reasons I'm reading that book just a bit at a time -- because interesting though it is, it also irritates me for the very reasons you've described. (Although I can say nothing about Mr. Saunders' narration skills because I'm not listening. But I think many authors . . . should not read their own books. Just sayin.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pansies always make me smile, and now I will think of this lovely story about your grandmother when I see them. I'm really impressed by your pile of handspun skeins. I know you're still calling yourself a beginner, but you're producing lovely yarn, Jane!

    We are having a lamb-like beginning to March here, too. I'm not planting anything just yet, because it's not unheard of for us to have snow in the first week of April, but I have enjoyed some warmer walks this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your memory of your grandmother. I just bask in those moments when something present stirs up something beautiful from the past. They are the sweetest moments!

    Your spinning is really coming along! And I really like your tweedy yarn from that Hipstrings fiber!

    And now... dear Mr. Saunders... I listened to him read, and I wish I had the book instead because often I would go back and listen again after his discussions. Seeing if I could pick up what, often times, I did not the first time through. I did not notice the sexist discussion (though I probably should have) but I appreciated how he taught, what I learned, and the avenue he opened for me to occasionally get side-tracked on.

    And Kym might be right about authors... except Louise Erdrich, somehow I never removed my hold from the audiobook of The Sentence after getting the physical book from the library. I wanted a "break" between heavy reads so I downloaded it and have been spending my mornings with Louise and loving every single moment. I highly recommend listening to her read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Jane - what a sweet, sweet memory of your Grandmother. I'll remember your story as we always have pansies in our yard each year. They are such cheerful flowers and the little pot on your counter looks so charming. And your spinning! You have certainly taken to that. I'm impressed by how much your are spinning and the colors are so soothing. I had thought about the George Saunders book...but I don't think I will bother with it now. Oh, and out March has come in like a lamb too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I rarely have it happened but I don't like when dye comes off yarn. I agree who wants nice spinning and knitting equipment accidentally dyed. I love that memory of your grandmother. What a treasure!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. First - I'm in AWE of your spinning - wow! and Second - I hope there's room on your soapbox for me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's March 7 and we got 3 inches of snow in the last 20 hours. I don't mind. It's very pretty.

    I love Bonnie Sennott's patterns, too. They can be fiddly to set up, but they are well-written.

    George Saunders. I either love his stories or hate them. They can be very weird. I had no interest in Lincoln in the Bardo. I didn't like the format. It looks confusing.

    ReplyDelete