Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Spring Light


The weather and the light turn toward Spring. As I walk this week, the birdsong is glorious. The juncos frequent the feeder. I enjoy their antics before they leave for the summer, migrating to more northern forests and climate. A flock of geese, not the urban wildfowl on city ponds, flew over last evening. 

Today I am linking with Kat and the Unravelers to post about knitting and reading. I finished the body of this sweater and started on the first sleeve. Two evenings ago, I measured it against several other sweater sleeves and it is too wide. I need an afternoon hour to lay it on the table and decide how to change the decreases and then unravel. The knitting went quickly so it won't take long to make up the lost rows. There is a reason I love to knit shawls although I unravel them also. Today I am meeting some friends for tea so maybe tomorrow. 


In the meantime, I knit a hat from some of my handspun yarn. I spun this yarn last summer, early in my spinning journey so the thickness is uneven. I held the Polworth 2-ply with one strand of mohair silk laceweight to blend the colors and even out the thickness the handspun. I didn't have a pattern but cast on 80 stitches and knit a hat without ribbing. I like the hat. The fabric is very soft.  


I finished listening to Migrations by Charlotte McConaghy two evenings ago and am still thinking about the story, the characters, and the many layers of migration written into the novel. The writing was lyrical and the ending is powerful. Between this season and the Ukrainians fleeing for their lives, the story feels very timely. 

The light changes. The natural world turns toward the beauty of Spring, a season for hope. 


Ravelry Links

Anker's Cardigan - My Size

Pink Hat


 


   

8 comments:

  1. I've also been enjoying the plenitude of birdsong on my walks. Your cardigan is a lovely spring color and it will be good to take the time to knit the sleeves so they fit. It's also good to meet friends for tea, and I hope you had a lovely time. I just downloaded Migrations from the library and am looking forward to a pleasurable evening of listening. Thank you for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hat is lovely - I love how it's a creation completely by you: yarn, pattern, and all! I look forward to seeing what you do with the sweater. Tea time with friends sounds like the perfect antidote!

    Thank you for the recommendation for Migrations. I just downloaded it from Libby and will start listening today! Enjoy the bird songs. I had my first robin spotting of the year on Monday... it was a windy day and I think they must have just blown in on the wind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing more birds at my feeder these days . . . and I especially love hearing their songs. Bird Joy, I call it! :-) I've also seen several birds picking up bits of garden detritus and stray dog hair to use in their nests. I love that. It must be so satisfying to use yarn you've spun yourself . . . to knit a hat! Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hearing the birdsong in the morning and while I've been out walking has been such a joy. I've been using my bird ID app occasionally to identify the calls and discovered that we have Carolina wrens in the neighborhood!

    I am sorry about the sleeve unraveling but am sure you will reknit it quickly. And your hat is lovely. I hope you really enjoyed knitting with yarn you spun yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The birdsong is absolutely glorious and I am so happy to welcome it back after a long quiet winter.

    I am sorry that sleeve decreases required some ripping back, but that hat! I love it!! What a perfect thing for your first handspun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The handspun hat looks like it will be nice and warm and cozy. It's a beautiful color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. gosh your handspun wool is perfection!! love the softness and the color, well done! It's beginning to look a lot like spring around here :)

    ReplyDelete