Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Mid-September

Hello friends on this mid-September day. Thankfully a little rain fell on Saturday. Sunday gave us a glorious autumn day with a clear crisp morning and warm afternoon. As of yesterday, we are back to 90 degree temperatures. I'm yearning for October but making the most of September. The tomato plants are still producing fruit. I've got to grocery shop today because we need to eat something besides tomatoes, olive oil, basil, and parmesan cheese. I love the combination but I'm thinking more greens and healthy protein would be a good idea. 

My making is a little bit of this and a little bit of that. Most days I worked a little on this piece of embroidery. The design comes from the book in the photo, Patchwork Loves Embroidery Too by Gail Pan. I like the whimsy in the designs. I enlarged the one I'm working on by 10% in order to gain a little more room to stitch. The directions are to stitch it in one color but I am using various colors. I haven't decided what I'll do with it when I'm finished. 

I knit a little more of the second summer sock, knitting the heel flap and turning the heel. Right now I'm decreasing the gusset. I hope to finish soon because I have a couple of Christmas gifts to knit. I've also been spinning some Falkland Fiber. According to the Fleece and Fiber Sourcebook, Falkland wool comes from a mix of sheep breeds from the Falkland Islands but is not itself a breed.  


As I spin, I try to learn something new about spinning. I found a nice used copy of Maggie Casey's book, Start Spinning. It's too bad books published by Interweave Press are harder and harder to find or when one finds them new, they sell at a ridiculous price. I may have written this before but I think there are as many opinions and ways to spin as there are spinners. In that way spinning and knitting are similar. I enjoy the eclectic approach. When I was learning to quilt, the "rules" or methods felt a little restrictive or I was younger and less likely to strike out on my own. I haven't kept up with quilting so perhaps that has changed. 

I (mostly) read Life in the Garden by Penelope Lively. I enjoyed the majority of the nonfiction essays but skimmed a few sections. Lively touches on the garden as a metaphor, how the garden influenced artists like Monet and VanGogh, and has played a part in literature. She covers a wide swath of time including the garden of her childhood in Cairo. The most intriguing essay was about gardeners and time. Lively is English and so the English cottage and estate gardens are part of this book. I had to smile when she wrote about the inhospitable climate in Connecticut. When I visit coastal Connecticut, I notice the ample precipitation and lush vegetation. Lively must not have experienced the dry winds and extremes on the Great Plains. It's all in one's perspective. 

As always, on this Wednesday, I link with Kat and the Unravelers. I'll leave you with this photo of a planter outside my LYS, Knit Paper Scissors. The coleus has been beautiful all summer long. That's me reflected in the corner of the window and wishing you a Happy September.




10 comments:

  1. What a cute embroidery piece Jane - very nice. We are still being over-run with tomatoes too. I ended up roasting some yesterday and I will pick some green ones to make fried green tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your embroidery is lovely, especially with the colors you are using. So is that gorgeous fiber you are spinning and that abundant coleus. It would be all I could do to keep myself from pinching off a few ends to root for myself. Happy September to you, Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Jane! What a charming embroidery piece! (I never know what to do with my embroidery pieces when I'm finished . . . ) I read - and very much enjoyed - Penelope Lively's "Life in the Garden." I'm so glad you're enjoying it, too. And that coleus planting! Oh, how glorious! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a cute embroidery. I like it just in the hoop. Trim off the excess fabric and it's something to hang up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for the pattern information. I have ordered it through Amazon. I have an 8 year old niece who loves birds and birdhouses. Your work is lovely. Marta

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love what you've done with your embroidery and hope you have some true fall weather in your area soon. I am very much a rule follower for some things, but I think when it comes to crafting, there is no one right way to do anything. If you like what you're creating and you're not hurting yourself, then you're doing it correctly, as far as I'm concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your stitching is quite charming! I am thoroughly enjoying the cherry tomatoes this season and have managed to find a nice balance between eating them fresh and preserving some of them in tomato jam!

    Good for you on finding that spinning book. It is sad that Interweave sort of fell by the wayside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Penelope Lively is on my short list of authors to explore; I didn't even know she published non-fiction! I'm sure she wouldn't think Georgia was very hospitable for gardening either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. totally love the embroidery!! We are getting ready for a cold front in two days and I'm tickled pink to be cold once more. every day we get closer to cooler weather

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoy Gail Pan’s patterns too and that Penelope Lively book sounds interesting

    ReplyDelete