Friday, September 30, 2022

September 30, 2022


Here we are on the last day of September. The days are glorious - warm afternoons sandwiched between cool mornings and evenings. And "it's Friday" as my Mom used to say joyfully when she called me on Friday evenings. Here is my TGIF offering.

Thinking about what comes next in my writing. Recently my daughter and I finished a Storyworth Project and the books have arrived. Kate gave me a year's subscription to Storyworth, a digital product. She chose the writing prompts that arrived via email in the form of a question. We chose a two week interval for questions and then I wrote a short piece in response to each one. I posted them to the website and they were also sent to her.  It's a wonderful way to collect and record memories. It is also a big time commitment. I enjoyed the writing and am pleased with the result. Since finishing, I've felt a little at loose ends. I am thinking about what else and how I might write.  

Grateful for running water and the city services that provide it.  A week or so ago, we woke up at 7:00 a.m. to the unusual sound of water draining out of the toilets. After checking to make sure our basement or bathrooms weren't flooded, my husband stepped outdoors to find other neighbors in the same predicament. The water main that supplies our street had leaked and a nearby intersection was under water. The city crew worked all day and by 6:45 p.m., we had water in the taps and toilets. I can't imagine living in the Ukraine or in the path of a hurricane or somewhere else where water and sewer services have been disrupted for weeks. A glass of clean water is a beautiful thing. 

Inspired by the prospect of fall flavors and a change in menu. Tuesday we drove an hour to an orchard and bought fresh Jonathan apples. This weekend I plan to freeze a batch of applesauce and make an apple crisp. I'm looking forward to soup weather.

Fun. I'm looking forward to our Fall trip to Connecticut. The older boys are still playing baseball. Jonah is playing soccer and Norah has her nail polish, cowboy boots, and bike at the ready. We look forward to attending their events and reading as many stories as time allows. We haven't been to Fort Worth since May so that may also be in the offing. 

Happy Friday!


 



6 comments:

  1. It's amazing how much we take for granted basic things like electricity and running water -- until we don't have them!

    Apple crisp sounds perfect for the weather we're having right now! We've been unable to get our usual Fuji apples at the supermarket and have instead been getting Rave apples, which I gather are some new variety. But they are huge and quite tasty! I think our weekend will call for a big vat of soup of some kind (the remnants of Ian are headed our way).

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes just a day without electricity, water, or even internet for me to feel "cut off" and appreciate them fully once they are restored. I went through one hurricane in FL and Sandy here and they are certainly not fun. The devastation in FL is horrendous, but it's also awful in Ukraine and Jackson, MS. But I'm making chili in the crockpot tomorrow and practicing gratitude for all that we have while the remnants of Ian come our way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Storyworth sounds like a really cool project and I can't wait to see where you find writing inspiration next.

    We have a bag of fresh apples on our counter right now. We're big fans of this apple cake recipe: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/old-fashioned-apple-cake-with-brown-sugar-frosting-recipe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am making a big pot of chili today!! (Some to eat and more to freeze!)

    And I have apples on the brain... it was too rainy to get out over the weekend to pick some, but I am hoping this week gives us a few days of opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate water and electricity the very most when it is missing! I try to stay grateful in between. So excited you get to see your Conn. kids. The storyworth sounds like such a great present that lasts all year long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun that you have travel plans ... I know you want to see those adorable little nails in person :-)

    ReplyDelete